Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Finally got around to a number of electronics projects:

-replaced stock dash speakers
-hardwired Thinkware dash cam
-routed rear camera video cable through PS A-pillar
-hardwired Homelink/ auto-dim rear-view mirror

buuuuut the biggest task was installing the CANopener module so I can finally use some of the Sync media menus in motion that Ford stupidly locks you out of at speeds over 3-5 mph.

That, in turn, required doing this:

Ford Bronco What did you do TO / WITH your Bronco today? πŸ‘¨πŸ»β€πŸ”§πŸ§°πŸšΏπŸ›  1664774482794

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

buuuuut the biggest task was installing the CANopener module so I can finally use some of the Sync media menus in motion that Ford stupidly locks you out of at speeds over 3-5 mph.

Ford Bronco What did you do TO / WITH your Bronco today? πŸ‘¨πŸ»β€πŸ”§πŸ§°πŸšΏπŸ›  1664774482794
Tell me more about this CANopener module

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base

Anxiety level 11!! πŸ˜“ How many broken clips so far? 😬 Maybe it’s how I drive, where I’m driving, the idiots around me while I’m driving or just my screwy brain but I’m two hands on the wheel and barely able to look down while piloting my 2 door Sasquatch 2.7. I have to make all my selections and adjustments pre-trip or during a brief traffic light stop so I get why Ford locked that stuff out over 3-5mph. πŸš™πŸ’¨

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was one point where my dash looked like that. Can’t say I want to do it again.

Sponsored

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks! I’m really happy with them.

They’re Black Rhino Primm beadlocks. 17x8.5, 0 offset. 37” BFG Mud Terrain KM3’s.

Poke is 3” with non-Squatch flares, so I’ll be looking for a new set of Squatch flares pretty quick.

I’m in love. These are so sick.
Good pick!

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ohhh...you are GUTSY!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tell me more about this CANopener module
They're used mainly to unlock nav-in-motion on higher end units without Forscan trickery (which would also disable 911 assist, which I didn't want), but on my base Sync 4 unit, unlocks media and setting menus normally locked out above 3-5 mph. I think there's another version that even adds a video input, which could let you add a front camera or something of the sort.

The install itself was easy - plugs into the APIM module behind the screen. But getting to that connector on a Bronco is, uh, fun.

Anxiety level 11!! πŸ˜“ How many broken clips so far? 😬 Maybe it’s how I drive, where I’m driving, the idiots around me while I’m driving or just my screwy brain but I’m two hands on the wheel and barely able to look down while piloting my 2 door Sasquatch 2.7. I have to make all my selections and adjustments pre-trip or during a brief traffic light stop so I get why Ford locked that stuff out over 3-5mph. πŸš™πŸ’¨
None, actually! Though i did see Ford forgot to install three fastener covers on a piece of dash trim. Guess that's good; makes it harder to tell I did anything.

And while you think you understand the logic Ford used, consider this: they'll let you dial in Sirius stations on the go, but not select an artist or album on an MP3 drive. Likewise, they'll bombard you with info in the gauge cluster, but won't let you see oil life unless you're stopped. At best, the logic is inconsistent...

There was one point where my dash looked like that. Can’t say I want to do it again.
Same. One and done.

Ohhh...you are GUTSY!
Believe me, this was done only after months of studying service info for disassembly and proceeding cautiously. Probably was over-cautious pulling the panel with the passenger SRS, but better safe than sorry.

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wait, what? You can't select artist from the USB drive in motion under Sync 4? It was perfectly fine under my last Sync vehicle, a 2012 Fusion.
And while you think you understand the logic Ford used, consider this: they'll let you dial in Sirius stations on the go, but not select an artist or album on an MP3 drive. Likewise, they'll bombard you with info in the gauge cluster, but won't let you see oil life unless you're stopped. At best, the logic is inconsistent...

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait, what? You can't select artist from the USB drive in motion under Sync 4? It was perfectly fine under my last Sync vehicle, a 2012 Fusion.
If you're in motion and already playing tracks, that is correct. The "New Search" button needed to switch things up is greyed out.

I thought maybe I could use voice commands, but these lower level units don't have voice recognition of their own - they pass that off to Carplay or Android Auto, and to my knowledge those systems can't control media devices controlled by the native infotainment system. Fun times.

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SpringBreak98

Black Diamond
First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Finally got around to changing all the 4" speakers to Kicker CS. Extremely easy with the connectors I found on Amazon. Although, I did break one of the clips when taking off the cover on the driver's side 🀬 but it's ok because the rest hold it down just fine. Sound clarity is night and day, totally worth the $120.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Finally got around to changing all the 4" speakers to Kicker CS. Extremely easy with the connectors I found on Amazon. Although, I did break one of the clips when taking off the cover on the driver's side 🀬 but it's ok because the rest hold it down just fine. Sound clarity is night and day, totally worth the $120.
Which did you go with? I have a few different sets in my cart on crutchfield. Did you get the pigtails or splice wiring?
Sponsored