Sponsored

What do we think about an optional max towing package for those who want more towing?

What do you think about the 4-door's towing capacity and an max tow package option?

• Total voters

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We know that the Bronco is “based on” the Ranger and “shares its platform”, but we don’t know exactly what that means. How many components on the Bronco are the same and how many have been right-sized for this specific vehicle? This is important because the 2.3L with 10A tows 7500lbs in the Ranger. Are the cooling systems, drivetrain, brakes, etc. on the Bronco also capable of handling that? If so, then the things holding back the tow capacity (apart from the current Class 2 hitch receiver) are likely primarily the wheelbase, suspension, and rear swaybar. And if some components have been right-sized, they can likely be swapped out for the ones on the Ranger if needed.

As we all know, the tow capacity is the same across all builds at 3500lbs, even though these builds include two wheelbases, two types of suspension, and significant variations in ride height. For this reason it seems likely that Ford is under-reporting the actual tow capacity that some builds should be capable of, especially the 4-door models. This isn't much of a surprise given what we're learning about the GVWR. Perhaps with enough testing they can give real ratings to different builds, but there may be difficulties involved in increasing the tow capacity beyond the 3500lbs that a Class 2 receiver allows even if the vehicle itself can handle it. I propose that Ford considers offering an optional max tow package that increases towing capacity for those who want it, even if it stiffens their ride a bit. I understand if it would be limited in availability, perhaps only on 4-door models with the base suspension (so no Badlands, Wildtrak, or Sasquatches). Hey if I don’t want it then I won’t get it and it won’t have any negative effect on my off-road capabilities, but it could help others out quite a bit.

I’d like to get a feel for the general mood of the forum members and see if there’s enough support in the community to push Ford on the topic. They claim to be listening, and they’ve already flip-flopped on the Mansquatch once pressure was applied. Also we haven’t had a towing poll this entire year. ?
Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve iterated my thoughts on this plenty, but I’m between options 2 and 3 here. The extra wheelbase on the 4dr should make at least a lil bump in tow cap without any real change, even the wrangler bumps 1500lbs for that. So my opinion is a real tow package shouldn’t be necessary on a 4dr to get 5k lbs(1500 over the 2dr just like wrangler), it just needs a better hitch that’s rated for more. There’s so many configurations of the bronco with different gearing and engines and tires and suspensions, no way all of them are the exact same tow capability, and if the worst configuration(for towing) can tow 3500(since that’s what they’re all rated at) then logically there’s already some setup that’s capable of more.

But I do think Ford should make an actual max tow package, an optional box to click that’s basically sasquatch but for towing instead of rock crawling. Change suspension and gearing and maybe tires similar to what sasquatch does, maybe add a rear sway bar or trans cooler too, and a higher rated hitch that mounts to the frame rails instead of the crossmember. Which is basically what a max tow package does on plenty of other vehicles. Won’t change any capability of the bronco for anyone that doesn’t click that box. Likely won’t change it noticeably for most anyways. And still won’t be anywhere near a real trucks capability, so all the inevitable “just get a truck” responses aren’t needed, truck towing capability isn’t being asked for. And if it’s limited to certain configurations/trims that’s fine by me, at least it’s an option(though hopefully at least more than one trim could add it).

The off-road capability of the bronco is basically useless to me if it can’t tow at least 5k, so I don’t care about losing what minimal amount it might need to get there with a real tow package, I wouldn’t be using it anyways. I’ll get a bronco either way, but it will def be a mall crawler without a towing increase and won’t be for a few years at least(vs I’d order now if it already had over 5k tow cap and it would def get off road use).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been fiddling around with the Gladiator Build and Price and found that by only adding the Max Tow Package you get better 4.10 axles, a LSD, better tires and an upgraded auto trans, all for a few grand. I'd love it if Bronco offered something similar, even if I don't tow it gets me everything I need at a bargain price.
Sponsored