Sponsored

What do you think about roof mounted snowboard racks?

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never had one so I’m used to putting the boards in the back of my truck. Is it a pain in the ass to remove on a vehicle this tall? I’m in a 2DR and they would be mounted at the back of the clamshell. So I imagine opening the rear gate, leaving the window down, and stepping up on the bumper to access them when I get to the mountain.
Sponsored

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll be getting one for my 4DR once it's delivered. My thoughts have been similar to yours, but in my case it may be easier accessing from the back door.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only ever had snowboard/skis on my roof, and I've never had an issue with it. I've also put bikes on my roof, which are honestly kind of a pain. Trying to hold the bike with one arm and using the other arm to balance yourself on the vehicle can become a circus act sometimes. But skis/snowboards are a easy. Just make sure you fasten your bindings before you put them on the roof unless you enjoy hearing the binding clacking against itself the entire way home.

That said, I've never owned a pickup truck before, so I've never had the luxury of just throwing this stuff in the back of your vehicle. So perhaps I'm the wrong person to answer this question given I've never experienced pickup truck life.

JMerTaw

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've been putting skis/bikes/kayaks on my roof for almost 2 decades and will continue to do so with the Bronco. I used to use open air racks, but living in Michigan the road salt can corrode the edges and bindings on skis/boards. We have a nice Yakima cargo box we will keep using. I typically use the back door to access (my wife's explorer and my past Subaru's), but I suppose you could use the tailgate if the window is closed. You may be able to use the driver/passenger door depending on how far back you're mounting the rack though.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never like putting skis or boards onto racks because of the salt mist and dirt that gets on them during the more challenging trips to the hill. Corrosion on edges and binding workings is a real issue. Most people in our neck of the woods use ski/board boxes to toss their gear into. Lots easier to do as well.

I have had F150s since 2000 with covers over the boxes and seals on the tailgate and box edges to keep the crap away from the cargo for the same reason.

Just a thought for consideration.

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've always put everything on the roof. It shouldn't be that difficult to reach. (idk how tall you are) but I'm 6ft and can reach the top of my Tahoe just fine. Takes a little stretching, but you should be fine.

I agree with the above statement on the cargo boxes. I've been trying to pick one up, but they're literally impossible to find these days. It'll help protect the skis/boards, and you can also throw additional stuff up there, saving room in the back.

I was "forced" (I know, my decision) into a soft top. So now I'm looking into hitch solutions. Or just suck it up for a year and buy a MIC & roof rails next year.

The hitch solutions concern me even more with road crap getting all over the boards.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's all good feedback.

I plan to put the small Yakima platform on the back of the 2dr(snowboard mount, mounts to the platform), so between that and my lack of 4 doors I will either be on the rear tires, or on the bumper. I guess I could leave the tailgate closed while I do that. This would hopefully prevent me from putting too much pressure on the window and breaking something.

My next question is; If on the back portion of the roof on a sas bronco, would I need to have a lot of concern with my equipment deteriorating prematurely? Mind you I am traveling from the city to either Mammoth or Tahoe. I feel like a cargo box would look fuggly on a 2d bronco

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
step up onto the rear tire for access

if you're having trouble getting up there, there are steps that will hang over the top of the tire to give you a leg up
Sponsored