Sponsored

What do you think of my potential build?

Scott20

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm considering ordering a Bronco. Never owned one before so I'm curious what the community thinks about my potential build. Anything you think I'll regret, or something I should consider adding?
Admittedly, the Bronco will be driven on the pavement most of the time. I do live in Colorado though and some 14er trail heads and dispersed camping sites are kind of sketchy. Need something a little more capable than my car-based cross-over. Anyway, here goes:

OBX - velocity blue exterior, gray/navy leather/vinyl seats​
2.7L​
Rear locker​
High/Lux​
Tow package​
Hard top​
Modular front bumper​
Steel fender flares​
  1. I know I lose fog lights with the modular bumper, but I like the look of the bumper better. Will I regret not getting the AUX switches with this bumper?
  2. I dislike the stock fender flares with the body paint color. I like the look of the black ones better. Will they look ridiculous without the SAS package?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Get aux switches!! I would also recommend Sasquatch for the stronger front end and steering rack but really most folks don't need them…you may one of those folks…

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get Aux Switches, use them to trigger a triple fog pocket setup.

As a non squatch owner, I could not careless for what fender others have. Make sure your stance is right, and you’re fine.

We ain’t here to judge who has what, but seriously. Whatever you do, don’t do 33” rims.

IMG_6066.jpeg
IMG_6065.jpeg

Tortuga

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also went with a OBX, 2.7, Lux, MIC, Tow, Mod Bumper. I did opt for the Aux switches as I will be putting a pair of 6" KC lights on the bumper and a mix of white and amber fog lights. I went SAS, so I can't comment on the steel fenders. I would attach pics, but the parts are in a box and the Bronco is on a train somewhere.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm considering ordering a Bronco. Never owned one before so I'm curious what the community thinks about my potential build. Anything you think I'll regret, or something I should consider adding?
Admittedly, the Bronco will be driven on the pavement most of the time. I do live in Colorado though and some 14er trail heads and dispersed camping sites are kind of sketchy. Need something a little more capable than my car-based cross-over. Anyway, here goes:

2.7L​
Rear locker​
High/Lux​
Tow package​
Hard top​
Modular front bumper​
Steel fender flares​
  1. I know I lose fog lights with the modular bumper, but I like the look of the bumper better. Will I regret not getting the AUX switches with this bumper?
  2. I dislike the stock fender flares with the body paint color. I like the look of the black ones better. Will they look ridiculous without the SAS package?

For your use case of "driven on the pavement most of the time" and "14er trail heads and dispersed camping sites", any of the Bronco versions will do fine, even the most basic. Although I'd probably at least invest in some skid plates if not included with your Bronco version.

The 2.7L seems a reasonable choice, given you live and will operate the vehicle at higher altitudes. I'm not sure how much diff ratio options really matter with the 10 speed auto, maybe others can chime in on that, as I have the manual trans.

Otherwise beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the black fender flares. And I think 33" minimum tire diameter fills out the wheel wells better than smaller tires. I swapped from 30 to 35s but that's also because I wanted more clearance.

I'm not into buying stuff for imaginary "someday but really never" use. So if you are the type of person who will be running electrical items and will for real use the aux switches ... then yes get them.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2.7L​
Rear locker​
High/Lux​
Tow package​
Hard top​
Modular front bumper​
Steel fender flares​

With the OBX, You can no longer get the Adv Transfer case, as an option for non-,SAS, which has 4A which can be run full time If you like. That and the 4.27 Rear axle with lockers are the best part of my 2021 non-SAS OBX. Those rear lockers are perfect for the beach; the 4A is great for rain, general slipperyness, and snow (which I no longer have in coastal SC). But you live in snow. Lockers aren't necessarily good on highway snow, can cause spin out, but 4A, which comes with the SAS adv. Transfer Case, is great in Snow. You won't have 4A in a non-SAS OBX.

Im good with 33's on my non-SAS OBX. 50,000 miles I've driven. But If I was ordering a new OBX today, I'd get Sasquatch. It's a better road car than we thought in 2021 (ie, it rides well). It's got all the upgrades for off roading without further modification. Has Both lockers. You can paint your SAS fenders if you like the look. You can get a set of AT tires for quiet use if you like, but its very capable. If you can afford it, get SAS.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Aux switches for sure!

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think the Aux switches are a no brainer, they are cheap from the factory - not so much after the fact, and they are there when you need them.

Your plans are to go camping with it, I'm betting you'll use those switches.

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

1. Yes, at $195 it's a no brainer, if not for you then at least for the next owner.

2. You should be able to sell off the factory painted flares fairly easy to comp whatever you want. I don't think black would look bad but your mirrors and handles will be body color. You may decide later for bigger wheels/tires so you can always go with Sasquatch flares then.

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think your “build” is just fine as is.

Save your money and skip over the whole Sasquatch hype and buy some better tires on your stock OBX wheels and you will have a very capable rig.

OP
OP

Scott20

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great feedback everyone, thank you! AUX switches yes, got it :). I did notice the 4A mode removed from the 2024 OBX unless you go Sasquatch. Sasquatch isn't an option for me as I'm pretty sure it's too tall for my garage. There is still a 2023 OBX on a lot in my area with 4A, but I couldn't warm up to the roast interior it has. I drove a 2H/4H/4L for several years here in Colorado so I think it will be OK.

rpaluch1

Outer Banks
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

22 OBX with Ford Performance black flares in Velocity blue and grey blue interior. Changed tires 33” and new wheels with +35 offset. Aux switches are a must. I agree black is better than painted. Enjoy.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. I dislike the stock fender flares with the body paint color. I like the look of the black ones better. Will they look ridiculous without the SAS package?

Not sure where you are, but I would probably trade my non-SAS black flares for your Velocity Blue ones.
Definitely get Aux switches because the wiring is already installed also. Makes life so much easier for adding electrical accessories.

Now I Go Bronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
22 non sas OBX mod bumper here.
I don’t have switches.

Get the bloody switches.
Sponsored