Sponsored

What gas mileage are you getting with 2.7 and SAS?

Noco

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Trail Teams edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine’s a solid 16mpg, but I do like the accelerator, and it’s mostly around town.
Sponsored

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 door Badlands @ 8700 miles 18.6
Mostly on road/ 3 trips OuterBanks, 2 to NC mountains and 2 to Uwharrie
93 octane

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK…Shit…I’m a 71 year old retired mechanical engineer. For me, gas mileage is a no-brainer.

I do not want to insult anyone here, and will NOT get into pissing contests with anyone regarding this post. Take it or leave it.

Anyone can get horrible gas mileage. Takes no skill what so ever. Anyone can shove a gas peddle to the floor. Driving efficiently however takes some skill and restraint. I have a Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7L. I just returned from a 400 mile trip from Houston to the Texas Off Roadeo. Got 19.5 MPG round trip based on pump gallons vs. odometer mileage. For me, this was not great….Could have been better but for safety reasons I had to keep up with the traffic. On Texas State Highways and the Interstate, traffic is moving at 80 to 90 MPH. At 80 MPH, the Bronco might get 15 MPG! At 65 MPH, as others have stated it can do 20+ MPG ( maybe even 21 MPG) on cruise control. Now, I could go take the thing out and have some serious fun and probably only get 8 to 10 MPG. My choice as it is YOUR CHOICE.

I see many folks here in Houston driving at Wide Open Throttle in their Suburbans and Navigators up to the next RED traffic light. I wonder if they also complain about crappy gas mileage?

So…. If you have to go from 0 to 60 in one minute, you have a choice. You can take the entire 60 seconds to get to 60 MPH, OR, you can go from 0 to 60 @ WOT (wide open throttle) and then hold 60MPH for the rest of the minute. The later is going to use a lot more gasoline to accomplish. Electric cars can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds??? But I’m sure when you do that it is a serious KWH (kilowatt hours) hit (battery depletion).

Now, with the Bronco, we’re handicapped by having to power all of the front drive train whether you are using it or not. A MPG sacrifice for “shift on the fly”.

If you want to improve your gas mileage, here are my recommendations:

1) Do not be a problem going slow and holding up traffic.
2) Higher speeds suck gasoline. Try to drive the speed limit.
3) Drive as though you do not have any brakes. When you are braking, your kinetic energy (speed, MPG) is wasted.
4) Accelerate gently (but don’t hold up traffic)
5) Do not continue accelerating when the next traffic light is RED.
6) I run my air conditioning compressor here in Houston almost year round, but it probably reduces gas mileage by 1 MPG.
7) Drive like a Grandmother (not the Little Old Lady From Pasadena)!
8) Always maintain safe driving conditions over any effort to conserve gasoline.
9) Use your cruise control.

You may not agree with all of this, but it’s kind of physical reality.

Last edited:

blueeagle75

Black Diamond
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LX470, MB E500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Black Diamond 2.7 with SAS, San Francisco to Los Angeles on I-5 = 16.8 mpg. Running mostly 80 mph. Love my Bronco. Have been getting a lot of compliments.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond 2.7 with SAS, San Francisco to Los Angeles on I-5 = 16.8 mpg. Running mostly 80 mph. Love my Bronco. Have been getting a lot of compliments.
In spite of the medeocure gas mileage @ 80 MPH, the Bronco seems to be very comfortable and drivable at that speed.

Opticnerve19

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti qx60
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3l manual. 4 door. Badlands sas. I think I’m Around 16 mpg. I was hoping. I would be getting 18. But I love driving it and doesn’t matter

Landin536

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m averaging about 16-16.5 with a heavy foot. I can creep up to 18-19 mpg in eco mode if I drive like I’m scared of hitting a bug with my windshield 😆

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now, with the Bronco, we’re handicapped by having to power all of the front drive train whether you are using it or not. A MPG sacrifice for “shift on the fly”.
I generally agree with your post. However, you don't have to "power all of the front drive train". You just have to carry it around. The hubs automatically disengage in 2wd.

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just did 4688 miles through 11 states. Drove speed limit out and 5 over on the way back. 18.7 total for the trip. 2.7 Wildtrak. I did notice day 2, it was cold and wet and my tire pressure was down to 34. Aired back up at next fuel stop. Did drive for about 100 miles in 4A while going through Illinois in that bad storm that caused all the flooding in eastern KY and WVA, due to hydroplaning.

Sponsored

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update for me:
4d BD Sassquatch 2.7L 18 MPG driving in Sport mode most of the time and using cruise control regularly.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mixed use. Rig lives at a mile high (5400ft), bi-weekly trips to 8700ft.....1-25 to Santa Fe and then to Colorado Border (80mph) 150 miles each way. Return: portions of dirt mountain road, 2 lane state road and Interstate (75mph). 11k miles on 2.7. Avg 19.4MPG Standard Mode (will run about 20miles of dirt in 4A) Wildtrak

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
OK…Shit…I’m a 71 year old retired mechanical engineer. For me, gas mileage is a no-brainer.

I do not want to insult anyone here, and will NOT get into pissing contests with anyone regarding this post. Take it or leave it.

Anyone can get horrible gas mileage. Takes no skill what so ever. Anyone can shove a gas peddle to the floor. Driving efficiently however takes some skill and restraint. I have a Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7L. I just returned from a 400 mile trip from Houston to the Texas Off Roadeo. Got 19.5 MPG round trip based on pump gallons vs. odometer mileage. For me, this was not great….Could have been better but for safety reasons I had to keep up with the traffic. On Texas State Highways and the Interstate, traffic is moving at 80 to 90 MPH. At 80 MPH, the Bronco might get 15 MPG! At 65 MPH, as others have stated it can do 20+ MPG ( maybe even 21 MPG) on cruise control. Now, I could go take the thing out and have some serious fun and probably only get 8 to 10 MPG. My choice as it is YOUR CHOICE.

I see many folks here in Houston driving at Wide Open Throttle in their Suburbans and Navigators up to the next RED traffic light. I wonder if they also complain about crappy gas mileage?

So…. If you have to go from 0 to 60 in one minute, you have a choice. You can take the entire 60 seconds to get to 60 MPH, OR, you can go from 0 to 60 @ WOT (wide open throttle) and then hold 60MPH for the rest of the minute. The later is going to use a lot more gasoline to accomplish. Electric cars can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds??? But I’m sure when you do that it is a serious KWH (kilowatt hours) hit (battery depletion).

If you want to improve your gas mileage, here are my recommendations:

1) Do not be a problem going slow and holding up traffic.
2) Higher speeds suck gasoline. Try to drive the speed limit.
3) Drive as though you do not have any brakes. When you are braking, your kinetic energy (speed, MPG) is wasted.
4) Accelerate gently (but don’t hold up traffic)
5) Do not continue accelerating when the next traffic light is RED.
6) I run my air conditioning compressor here in Houston almost year round, but it probably reduces gas mileage by 1 MPG.
7) Drive like a Grandmother (not the Little Old Lady From Pasadena)!
8) Always maintain safe driving conditions over any effort to conserve gasoline.
9) Use your cruise control.

You may not agree with all of this, but it’s kind of physical reality.
Man, you nailed it. And I mean every single line of your post. There is a lot that goes into driving like this and getting great gas mileage. I know as I drive like this. And I accelerate moderately and don't hold up traffic either. I am a young 63 (also a mechanical engineer and still working full time) with a lot of driving experience on and off road. I get 21.7 average in my Sas. 2.7. This is around town and highway. I get over 22 straight highway driving. And I so laugh when the person who drives flooring it light to light ends up at the same light 10 miles down the road, LOL.

Now it also depends on the vehicle too. Some are gas guzzlers no matter how you drive. I had a 2010 Subaru WRX- worst gas mileage of any car I have ever driven. I got 16 with my style driving. Most others I always exceed- and by a lot. My 2016 WRX- 40 MPG highway. My current daily driver 2019 VW Jetta (not diesel, 87 octane gas) rated at 30-40, I get 50-60. So it's mostly in your driving style.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I generally agree with your post. However, you don't have to "power all of the front drive train". You just have to carry it around. The hubs automatically disengage in 2wd.
What's your source on that?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/does-sas-package-now-come-with-front-locking-hubs.50547/

Some models of the small front axle have an axle disconnect, but none of the M210 axles have any sort of axle or hub disconnect. You're turning the axles, diff, and front driveshaft at all times.

SpringBreak98

Black Diamond
First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Getting 17 mpg right now, probably is a little bit better than that but I just got mine Saturday and have been having it running idle in the driveway while I play with stuff or install mods. I drive like a grandma most of the time 😂
Sponsored