Sponsored

What happens to the hundreds of Pre Production Broncos built?

BroncoPVC

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands,Sas, 4dr, Soft Top, Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My apologies, this seems like a question that must have been answered before but I couldn't find it anywhere. What happens to the hundreds of Pre Production Broncos built for dealer events, testing, Off Roadeos, etc? I'm not saying I want one but I imagine Ford wouldn't just put them all in a crusher. Seems like that would be a tremendous waste, especially while we're all feeling the effects of these parts constraints.

If someone could kindly point me in the right direction, I would love to ease my curiosity.
Ford Bronco What happens to the hundreds of Pre Production Broncos built? VB 2door Wildtrak2
Sponsored

OP
OP
BroncoPVC

BroncoPVC

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Crusher. Too big a liability to not crush them
I get that but couldn't they salvage parts from then first? Like maybe all the parts? What's the point of crushing a perfectly functioning top, wheel set, or tow package?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get that but couldn't they salvage parts from then first? Like maybe all the parts? What's the point of crushing a perfectly functioning top, wheel set, or tow package?
Based on a *quick anecdotal conversation* with the Bronco reps from when they came to my local dealer, it sounds like there will be a little bit of this going on. But anything that's part of the chassis or that could remotely have a serial number on it goes to the crusher. He also did imply that they would not be throwing perfectly good tops in the trash, too. *shrug*

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just part of the production process, these things are ridden hard and stress tested often to breaking points, and a lot of pieces that look close to production aren't necessarily in spec for actual production

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Scrap.Oh wait.....let's be a bit more PC.....Recycled.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on a *quick anecdotal conversation* with the Bronco reps from when they came to my local dealer, it sounds like there will be a little bit of this going on. But anything that's part of the chassis or that could remotely have a serial number on it goes to the crusher. He also did imply that they would not be throwing perfectly good tops in the trash, too. *shrug*
If you are speaking about the "Bronco Reps" that lead the previews at dealers, they are from a marketing company.

From first hand experience, I can tell you not even a windshield wiper blade will be removed prior to recycling the pre-production units. Unfortunately in this litigious society it's too big of a liability risk for Ford to allow even a single part to be removed and used from a pre-production unit.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you are speaking about the "Bronco Reps" that lead the previews at dealers, they are from a marketing company.

From first hand experience, I can tell you not even a windshield wiper blade will be removed prior to recycling the pre-production units. Unfortunately in this litigious society it's too big of a liability risk for Ford to allow even a single part to be removed and used from a pre-production unit.
Yep, hence the 'quick anecdotal conversation'. disclaimer. i.e. to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

It's definitely odd on preproduction cars though. I mean, I own and drive one right now. My 335i is a 2015 model built halfway through the 2014 cycle, and the VIN records for it very clearly show that it's a pre-production display model. Yet it was happily sold to me, at a huge discount as a 3 year old car for nearly 50% off.

Then again, those Broncos that are out in the wild right now are getting straight up *abused*, and I'm not sure I'd want one that's been romped at WOT thru the desert at 75 mph, anyways.

tl;dr, I guess it all depends.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They will meet the crusher 100% guaranteed.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They will meet the crusher 100% guaranteed.
Not all of them. See the following similar thread at the bottom of this page for specific examples…

Ford Bronco What happens to the hundreds of Pre Production Broncos built? F4462927-D63E-45B7-B97C-670102B94C18

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-models-that-are-deemed-not-for-sale.15954/

Sometimes they send em to arson schools or extrication school and let firemen play with them. We burned a whole fleet of pre production Mustangs at an arson school I went to once.
Crash testing, further durability testing with new components, donated to trade schools, sold to Hollywood for non onroad use, and given to municipalities for crash/fire training. Depends on who needs them when the units are available. Some are just destroyed.
Some will be offered to various First Responders for working out rescue procedures and training. There is a database the show where the gas tank, battery, and spare tire are located. This is useful when they need to cut you out of your Bronco because you made a mistake. This database exists for most vehicles. I know because I work on some GM cars developing the data. The rest will be crushed, but a few will escape to become valuable ten or more years from now.
Tech schools get some to practice repairing.
Bronco has a unique ability to send a lot of these testers to off rodeo locations. Many will be crushed though. All the ones that were just in Tennessee are for Austin off rodeo, that’s why most of them were squatchd.
I would say many if not all will be used for the Off Rodeo, they will need quite a few if it is anything like the Octane Academy!

OP
OP
BroncoPVC

BroncoPVC

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know. I'll never believe that all pre production units will be "recycled". Someone somewhere is going to end up with a free Bronco.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They can’t put used tops on new retail vehicles…

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With enough money, someone will be able to obtain a pre-prod...just saying