Sponsored

What is driving $5K Big Bend upgrade cost from Base Model??

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you looked at the two models side-by-side?

One looks like a proper, well-equipped, modern vehicle and the other looks like a stripped down USPS vehicle.

I understand that sounds great to a lot of people on here, but mainstream buyers who have no intention of ever modding will buy the Big Bend.
I now realize that none of us have seen them side-by-side, and that's the problem lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Squidd

Squidd

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you looked at the two models side-by-side?

One looks like a proper, well-equipped, modern vehicle and the other looks like a stripped down USPS vehicle.

I understand that sounds great to a lot of people on here, but mainstream buyers who have no intention of ever modding will buy the Big Bend.
I agree but as soon as you throw on the Sasquatch package it changes the look.

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Up in Canada the price difference between the Base 4 door and BB is only $1,500. It's worth it just for the aluminum wheels.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you think of it inversely, it may make sense. If you get the base, you pay $5000 less than the BB, but you don't have access to things that MOST people want; packages, lockers, colors, etc. Ford won't be making any money on the base so they want to push people into higher trims. The BB is probably a more accurate representation of what the "bottom line" price is.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree but as soon as you throw on the Sasquatch package it changes the look.
You might be correct, but then again you might not be.

It's the fear of the unknown for me.

If the BaseSquatch looks the way I and probably you are envisioning it then it is likely the best value.

However, all I've seen are non-squatch Base and Big Bend. Big Bend looks $5k more expensive.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Squidd

Squidd

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

If the BaseSquatch looks the way I and probably you are envisioning it then it is likely the best value.

However, all I've seen are non-squatch Base and Big Bend. Big Bend looks $5k more expensive.
True, they are all modded through the moon with racks, lights, etc...

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like others said, ford doesn't want to sell the base model. The base model exists pretty much for marketing purposes so they can advertise it under 30k. Its probably a loss leader.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford would build and display 10-15 Broncos of various trims and options, I would travel to any part of the country to see them in person.

It would clear up a lot of this confusion.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Ford base models scream base model. I dont know if its subconscious or not but look at some other base model fords compared to the next trim up and they just look cheaper.

hbms17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved a OBX, then moved to BL. Now with how the B&P is configured, I may buy a Base with no add ons and send it to Maxlider to be kitted out. May end up spending 38 to get a nice truck versus spending 50K to be forced into Ford compromises.

Sponsored

bk1287

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep doesn’t price everything a la cart. Go configure a Sport or Sahara with a Dana 44 and lockers. This is where Ford is going to excel with off roaders.
That’s fair, but in terms of tech and exterior accessories, etc., it pretty much is.

Look at my squanch

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't get all the base hate, I think compared to the features Jeep's base models offer (gladiator, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee) Ford blows them out of the water. It's why I'm getting a base bronco over the gladiator. Plus much lower cost to upgrade to the V6. You guys should read all the features the base comes with, the tech is impressive for the cost of the vehicle.

bk1287

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford base models scream base model. I dont know if its subconscious or not but look at some other base model fords compared to the next trim up and they just look cheaper.
It's the wheels, honestly. Some like them, but they remind me of my mom's 80's station wagon hubcaps, personally.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's the wheels, honestly. Some like them, but they remind me of my mom's 80's station wagon hubcaps, personally.
Yes. I 1000% hate the stock wheels on the base.

The wheels on the BB just look a lot better.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's called capitalism. Ford is a publicly owned company. Their charter is to maximize profits. It is basic math. They don't always get it 100% right, but that's what they're trying to do. Anyone who faults them for doing so is not thinking rationally. Put yourself into the shoes of a shareholder who isn't interested in buying a Bronco, but only in maximizing profit.

I know that there are many here saying that Ford is hurting themselves. That they will end up making less profit. Occam's razor tells me that they are overestimating their abilities to assess this. These people are emotionally involved and are incapable of boiling this down to the simple math that it really is.

Let's face it. Ford is in an incredibly precarious situation. There is a very really possibility (likelihood?) that they will not survive the next decade. They are fighting for their survival and I wish them well.
Sponsored