Sponsored

What is driving $5K Big Bend upgrade cost from Base Model??

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let's face it. Ford is in an incredibly precarious situation. There is a very really possibility (likelihood?) that they will not survive the next decade. They are fighting for their survival and I wish them well.
Unless the USA quits buying trucks or the economy tanks completely Ford has zero danger of not surviving. Wow!
Sponsored

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless the USA quits buying trucks or the economy tanks completely Ford has zero danger of not surviving. Wow!
Have you looked at the books?

OP
OP
Squidd

Squidd

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't get all the base hate, I think compared to the features Jeep's base models offer (gladiator, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee) Ford blows them out of the water. It's why I'm getting a base bronco over the gladiator. Plus much lower cost to upgrade to the V6. You guys should read all the features the base comes with, the tech is impressive for the cost of the vehicle.
Yes. I 1000% hate the stock wheels on the base.

The wheels on the BB just look a lot better.
Agreed but not 5K better though, you could get a nice aftermarket set for less

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you’re getting the 4dr with 2.7 I think it’s only a 1,500 price upgrade to get the additional features because of the free auto trans. So 1500 extra for nice wheels, wheels that can actually fit 33s, better grill, more interior colors, optional locking diff, and optional MID is now sounding reasonable. If they dropped the price of 2.7 down to 300 for the base then 4dr big bend becomes less attractive

Now big bend 2dr maybe not as attractive compared to base 2dr.

Last edited:

Randeeezy

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think the Big Bend presents enough value on its own to warrant the price increase. It just gives you the option to spend MORE money to have a vehicle that's got SOME industry standard features, and a few basic bells and whistles.

You do get the auto tranny included, but if you want a manual, that's a moot point. Also, this impacts the Mid package selection on the B&P, as Remote Start requires automatic and right now the packages can't handle any incompatibilities. I'm sure you can get the mid package with a manual BB, and hopefully they knock a bit of the price off to account for no remote start, but remote start is one of the bigger value-adds in the mid package.

If you aren't interested in spending $6200 just to get the mid package, I don't see much value in BB. You can buy a new set of wheels for a fraction of that if that's your biggest concern . . . or just squatch the base.

As far as upgrades . . .

The tube step might be the best value. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you'd pay just as much if not more for aftermarket steps after installation. Factory installed day 1, and they don't look half bad.

Headlamps - $800 for the "iconic" LED outline around the LED lamps. I admit, they look slick. But I think this is a FOMO upgrade. I like the look without the lamps, but I also dig them. I'd have to see both and decide, but in the end I don't think I'd drop $800 just for some headlamp detailing. I'd rather use that money against the mid package, bigger engine, or aftermarket upgrades. Or, you know, pay rent for a month.

I'd be happy with a barebones setup, but I think the mid package is worth the money. Will pay for itself in resale value alone. I think it's pretty silly that the illuminated vanity mirrors are considered "mid package" material and aren't standard though.

Here's my personal power rankings for the mid package components:

Heated seats: I've never had heated seats, but I did enjoy them while driving my mom's vehicle in the winter. I'd use this a lot and it would help resale value.

remote start - cool feature but I've never had it. I'm sure I would enjoy this one. Would help resale value and would get a lot of use.

Power outlet - nice feature to have without needing to buy an adapter. is there any USB charging or place to put an adapter in base? Situationally useful feature, a "nice to have".

Intelligent access: Hell, I would be fine with keyed entry and manual windows . . . I don't think it's an issue to press "lock" or "unlock" on my key fob. I do imagine you get used to this quickly though, and with push button start it makes the whole process of getting in and starting the car seamless.

Footwell and side mirror lighting - cool touches for sure, but not heavy hitters. Side mirror lights could help when digging for keys . . . but then again, you have intelligent access so this won't be a problem? Footwell lighting is cool, my Mazda has it in blue and I still enjoy the cool factor. I wonder if you can customize the colors . . .

Illuminated vanity mirrors - Nice feature to have, but it's really preposterous that this isn't a STANDARD feature on all broncos. Maybe not the base, but come on. . .

Auto dimming mirror - have never had one. I'm sure it's a nice touch.

Dual Zone temperature: if my passenger is that needy, they can walk. I see this as a pretty pointless feature, especially on a car that's marketed so heavily on the fact that you can remove the rood and doors.

Connected nav - 90 day trial, I doubt I'd pay for it ongoing. If we have apple/android connect capability, I'll just screen cast my google maps nav. It's a real pain in the ass to type in addresses on touch screens in vehicles.

SYNC - I really dislike voice recognition stuff in cars. It's slow, you have to wait through multiple menu prompts, and you can't use some of the features while the car is in motion. It feels like talking to a customer service robot.

oh, and I guess you get a trim badge for what it's worth to you.

Overall, as someone who will most likely get an automatic transmission, and who would like to get the mid package, I'll probably go Big Bend. Though I would be very happy with a base and wheel upgrade, or squatch.

Then again, I've never been tainted by luxury car features so it's no loss to me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Squidd

Squidd

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think the Big Bend presents enough value on its own to warrant the price increase. It just gives you the option to spend MORE money to have a vehicle that's got SOME industry standard features, and a few basic bells and whistles.

You do get the auto tranny included, but if you want a manual, that's a moot point. Also, this impacts the Mid package selection on the B&P, as Remote Start requires automatic and right now the packages can't handle any incompatibilities. I'm sure you can get the mid package with a manual BB, and hopefully they knock a bit of the price off to account for no remote start, but remote start is one of the bigger value-adds in the mid package.

If you aren't interested in spending $6200 just to get the mid package, I don't see much value in BB. You can buy a new set of wheels for a fraction of that if that's your biggest concern . . . or just squatch the base.

As far as upgrades . . .

The tube step might be the best value. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you'd pay just as much if not more for aftermarket steps after installation. Factory installed day 1, and they don't look half bad.

Headlamps - $800 for the "iconic" LED outline around the LED lamps. I admit, they look slick. But I think this is a FOMO upgrade. I like the look without the lamps, but I also dig them. I'd have to see both and decide, but in the end I don't think I'd drop $800 just for some headlamp detailing. I'd rather use that money against the mid package, bigger engine, or aftermarket upgrades. Or, you know, pay rent for a month.

I'd be happy with a barebones setup, but I think the mid package is worth the money. Will pay for itself in resale value alone. I think it's pretty silly that the illuminated vanity mirrors are considered "mid package" material and aren't standard though.

Here's my personal power rankings for the mid package components:

Heated seats: I've never had heated seats, but I did enjoy them while driving my mom's vehicle in the winter. I'd use this a lot and it would help resale value.

remote start - cool feature but I've never had it. I'm sure I would enjoy this one. Would help resale value and would get a lot of use.

Power outlet - nice feature to have without needing to buy an adapter. is there any USB charging or place to put an adapter in base? Situationally useful feature, a "nice to have".

Intelligent access: Hell, I would be fine with keyed entry and manual windows . . . I don't think it's an issue to press "lock" or "unlock" on my key fob. I do imagine you get used to this quickly though, and with push button start it makes the whole process of getting in and starting the car seamless.

Footwell and side mirror lighting - cool touches for sure, but not heavy hitters. Side mirror lights could help when digging for keys . . . but then again, you have intelligent access so this won't be a problem? Footwell lighting is cool, my Mazda has it in blue and I still enjoy the cool factor. I wonder if you can customize the colors . . .

Illuminated vanity mirrors - Nice feature to have, but it's really preposterous that this isn't a STANDARD feature on all broncos. Maybe not the base, but come on. . .

Auto dimming mirror - have never had one. I'm sure it's a nice touch.

Dual Zone temperature: if my passenger is that needy, they can walk. I see this as a pretty pointless feature, especially on a car that's marketed so heavily on the fact that you can remove the rood and doors.

Connected nav - 90 day trial, I doubt I'd pay for it ongoing. If we have apple/android connect capability, I'll just screen cast my google maps nav. It's a real pain in the ass to type in addresses on touch screens in vehicles.

SYNC - I really dislike voice recognition stuff in cars. It's slow, you have to wait through multiple menu prompts, and you can't use some of the features while the car is in motion. It feels like talking to a customer service robot.

oh, and I guess you get a trim badge for what it's worth to you.

Overall, as someone who will most likely get an automatic transmission, and who would like to get the mid package, I'll probably go Big Bend. Though I would be very happy with a base and wheel upgrade, or squatch.

Then again, I've never been tainted by luxury car features so it's no loss to me.
Very well put! In regards to the signature headlights, I'm sure there will be a way to purchase them eventually from the parts section of the dealership and just throw them in yourself.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree but as soon as you throw on the Sasquatch package it changes the look.
Not just the look but makes it a killer off-road capable rig with 4.7 gears, front and rear lockers lift, 35s. All from the factory. I priced a 2 Door Basesquatch for $38k . Waiting on Mansquatch and doing Granger -$2000 off invoice puts it at $35k and change. That’s all the capabilities of any Bronco and most other 4x4s for like $30k less than a FE!

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Base was clearly priced to hit the magical "under $30k" price point at $29,995 with delivery for marketing purposes. They'll still make money on it but the margin is much slimmer than the other trims. Hence why they'll be difficult to actually find on the lots once dealers can start building stock. If you want Base, you'll almost certainly have to order it.

TL : DR the Big Bend is priced where they want it to be. The Base is underpriced for good marketing.

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
paying for ford navigation is something that ill never do. google maps through android auto has vastly greater amounts of data that would be useful for your navigation needs.

moresmoke

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Chief
Your Bronco Model
Base
Intelligent Access is the biggest driver for me to want mid package. With it you can tape the key part of Ford’s horrid switchblade key fob shut and not get stabbed in the leg repeatedly.

Heated seats are nice too, the rest of it, I don’t really need.
Sponsored