Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang GT, 19 Mustang Bullitt, 22 F150 PB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I go to my dealership to discuss deleting the Tow Package for now, since it is listed as one of the items that Ford is having issues getting... hoping this would help expedite my build. I was told by my dealership that the "Factory" tow package is more than just a trailer hitch and wiring for lights. He said that it included transmission cooler similar to what a F150 has on their tow package.

So I look up online what the tow package is for the F150, it is: The Max Trailer Tow Package consists of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, Class IV receiver hitch, 3.55 electronically locking rear differential, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission and engine oil coolers, an integrated trailer brake controller, and an upgraded front stabilizer bar.

So has anyone seen specific information on the Bronco tow package?? Does it include the tranny and engine coolers and brake controller for the trailers??? I doubt there is a fuel tank change in the tow package.
Sponsored

Nobs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GMC Envoy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspected there was more to it than simple hitch/wiring - otherwise I wouldn't understand it being a production constraint. I guess we shall see

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I go to my dealership to discuss deleting the Tow Package for now, since it is listed as one of the items that Ford is having issues getting... hoping this would help expedite my build. I was told by my dealership that the "Factory" tow package is more than just a trailer hitch and wiring for lights. He said that it included transmission cooler similar to what a F150 has on their tow package. So I look up online what the tow package is for the F150, it is: The Max Trailer Tow Package consists of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, Class IV receiver hitch, 3.55 electronically locking rear differential, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission and engine oil coolers, an integrated trailer brake controller, and an upgraded front stabilizer bar.
So has anyone seen specific information on the Bronco tow package?? Does it include the tranny and engine coolers and brake controller for the trailers??? I doubt there is a fuel tank change in the tow package.
The available tow accessory from Ford is just the bolt on receiver and the wiring harness which is sold separately. The factory option is around $500 and your not getting everything you mentioned for $500.

Sundancer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you go through options on the build site it shows the tow package contents. Includes 2" receiver and wire harness, no cooler, no controller. At $595 its expensive and not worth a build being stalled waiting on a hitch which any local shop can install.

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspected there was more to it than simple hitch/wiring - otherwise I wouldn't understand it being a production constraint. I guess we shall see
There’s not.

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2019 Ranger with tow package didn’t come with a trailer brake controller. The OEM version is around $300 before install which involves removing interior panels and headliner. It has been a hassle getting my truck tow-ready. I’m not happy they are piecemealing it on the Bronco as well.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that aren't already aware, the Bronco transfer case can be put in neutral and flat towed.

Nothing in the service manual or eSource book says anything about additional coolers or suspension. I'm going to take the time to go through the parts catalogue to see if there are differences but I don't think there are.

It looks like you get the trailer tow module (for signals and lighting), receiver hitch and 4/7 pin trailer connector p/n MB3Z-17D826-A. If you want trailer braking there is an accessory kit available through Ford that will need to be wired in at the dash.

Last edited:

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here is a cad picture of the tow module that is included in the tow package. Look at some of the other threads on towing for the wiring diagrams. There is a lot of electronics in that box.

Ford Bronco What is in the Tow Package - exactly Tow Module Picture

Nobs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GMC Envoy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah so the production constraint may be related to the chip shortage.

Sponsored

Bertbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here is a cad picture of the tow module that is included in the tow package. Look at some of the other threads on towing for the wiring diagrams. There is a lot of electronics in that box.

Ford Bronco What is in the Tow Package - exactly Tow Module Picture
Electronics in the box equals chips equals delay

Nobs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GMC Envoy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you go through options on the build site it shows the tow package contents. Includes 2" receiver and wire harness, no cooler, no controller. At $595 its expensive and not worth a build being stalled waiting on a hitch which any local shop can install.
According to Legend, there is also more rake with the tow package, but it is not known how.

Also, the wording of the optional brake controller mentions integration with pre-collision braking assistance, etc. This implies the 7pin is pretty integrated and thus complex to install. (Which is why there is only a 4-pin offered as an accessory.)

Being an off-road vehicle, if the 10R60 is going to have any chance of longevity, it had better come with a pretty capable cooler without the tow package.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been discussed and settled so many times here.

Factory tow package is:

2” Class II Receiver
4 and 7 pin wiring harness.

No additional coolers, no upgraded brakes.

Reported different rear springs.

Additionally, there is a lot that goes into that 7-pin harness, making it “required” for the plug-and-play brake controller that is available as an accessory.

The wiring harness available as an accessory is only the 4-pin.

If you only want a receiver (for a bike rack) or only ever need a 4-pin for occasional light towing… it’s likely going to be a relatively easy, and cheaper, job to do it after the fact (whenever those parts become available). You wouldn’t be “missing out” on any functionality with this use-case.

If you think you’re going to want the functionality of a 7-pin, or pushing the tongue weight to the max on a regular basis, the information available to us at this time (including wiring diagrams, etc, all available in the other threads discussing this exact question), leads me to recommend just spec’ing it from the factory.

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So that tow module would be typical of an after-market tow kit?
This translates a signal from the network communication system into turn signals. The Ford accessory will tap into the tail light wiring and essentially do the same thing just not as clean. I'm trying to figure out how to utilize some factory connectors and wiring to make it more like factory and not so shade tree.
Sponsored