Sponsored

What is the appeal of the spare tire delete?

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A spare is heavy, so the rear door is easier to use without.
Personally I think it looks cleaner and better with no spare.
Technically for daily driving there is little chance it would ever be used and a puncture fix kit could actually be easier to use.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Logically, there are only 3 reasons:

1. Rock crawling. Stuff where you're not going through long trails and won't need a spare and want to lose the weight on the back. May also need extreme departure angles or to reverse up against something tall behind you to get lines.

2. Some people just like the look, just like some people like ugly blue wheels and sideways facing Bronco emblems or an extra tag that has "Bronco" on it....

3. They can't afford a fifth wheel and/or tire.

OP
OP
Sonny

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Logically, there are only 3 reasons:

1. Rock crawling. Stuff where you're not going through long trails and won't need a spare and want to lose the weight on the back. May also need extreme departure angles or to reverse up against something tall behind you to get lines.

2. Some people just like the look, just like some people like ugly blue wheels and sideways facing Bronco emblems or an extra tag that has "Bronco" on it....

3. They can't afford a fifth wheel and/or tire.
Have seen some tire punctures on rock crawls… these tires are probably unlikely to pop. But possible.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it fugly without the spare, but what do I know.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just really want to know.
the joy of calling AAA when you're four miles past the sign that says high clearance 4$WD drive vehicles only after bypassing the closure chain.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't care for and never would run without a spare. However looking back at all the trucks and SUVs I've owned, 99.999% of the time the spare only sees the road when I'm rotating tires. Even a nail in a tire is less common than in the soft pliable car tires. If tire pressures are maintained, the chance of a blow out is rare.

So objectively, the risk is pretty small for a DD. There is no way I would do it, but that is me. I carry minimal recovery gear in my DD and I'm a suburban living guy. Be prepared.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have seen some tire punctures on rock crawls… these tires are probably unlikely to pop. But possible.
Not saying don't have a spare somewhere with you, like at your tow rig at the trail head or taken off while you're in a rock garden. Probably the best solution is to mount it prerunner style.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been stranded before thanks to BMW no longer including spares to save weight and instead supplying a "mobility kit" that failed to seal a fairly small puncture. I can't imagine having the provision of a spare tire and then leaving it (speaking as a day-to-day thing, not organized trail rides where people might share a spare).

WranglerArctic

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK4 GTI VR6, '22 Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ran both my previous Wranglers with no spare...
5 years on one with 35" Goodyear Duratracs and 35" Mickey Thompsons on the other.
Off road is limited to beach driving where I do keep an eye out for any boards washed up ahead. Once at an area I walk it and clear an occasional board with nails so I know there's no issue leaving.

I like the cleaner look and enhanced rear vision is nice too.
Lightening ups the tailgate is also nice for sure.
On a full size 4 door with spare I have much less room to walk and work in the garage as there's full lower cabinet along the rear wall. Losing that spare gives perfect amount of room.

AAA+ will tow 100 miles and I'm most often less than 10 miles from home anyways.

That said - I'm NOT deleting the spare on Bronco. I've gotten used to the look and am not planning on keeping her in garage full time.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just really want to know.
It’s just personal taste, kind of like the dudes who put on 20” wheels. Some just love the look. It’s not for most people but if it floats your boat spend your money how you want.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not thrilled about all that weight on that flimsy gate but breaking down with a flat and no spare could get you killed in some cases.

GoatFab

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We most often do it for the increased departure angle, but the weight savings are also a pretty significant advantage. We usually have a support vehicle, patch gear, and/or back up plans when wheeling.