Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP is looking for the “least worst” investment. All configs will lose money...which will lose the least? Most likely a Base, as some have said. But, 2-door is already discounted versus the 4-door....so maybe it loses less actual cash?
Yes, KH_59 you are correct with reason for the question. Seems like the consensus is that a base with the lowest original outlay may offer the best retained value or an upper end model that will always be considered very desirable, like the Jeep Rubicon example mentioned. Both trains of thought may be right. One thing I know for sure is Jeeps have retained excellent resale value. I looked a bunch a while back and the only (what I consider) reasonably priced used jeeps for sale had 200k+ miles.
Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Most vehicles do not provide a ROI. They are planning on making 100k of these initially or maybe more. I had a Gen 1 Lightning that after 25 years got back what I paid for it but I wouldn’t considered that a ROI. Granted, it will help pay for the some of the Bronco but money invested will pay for it all. And they made way fewer of the Gen 1 Lightning. If you have 50k to invest, I wouldn’t do it in a Bronco if you are looking for a financial return rather than enjoyment.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
None.

once the reservations are done and they are building for dealer lots, they will act like most truck values strong but depreciating.
Exactly. No mass produced vehicle can be expected to do anything but lose value, fast.

It is not a good "investment".

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base 2dr Sasquatch with nothing else . A person wanting a well equipped off road vehicle would look into that very quickly and not have to spend a Rubicon price .

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If it follows the Jeep insanity, it will hold its value better than most even if the frame is completely rotten. Again, I wouldn’t bank on it but if you need some type affirmation, go for it. We all approve on this forum.

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Base 2dr Sasquatch with nothing else . A person wanting a well equipped off road vehicle would look into that very quickly and not have to spend a Rubicon price .
I would agree. Lowest cost up front, I would expect high demand. Just means you need to wait until MY22 for lowest upfront costs. This is what I was planning on until they moved it into MY22.

OP
OP
Rover72

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most vehicles do not provide a ROI. They are planning on making 100k of these initially or maybe more. I had a Gen 1 Lightning that after 25 years got back what I paid for it but I wouldn’t considered that a ROI. Granted, it will help pay for the some of the Bronco but money invested will pay for it all. And they made way fewer of the Gen 1 Lightning. If you have 50k to invest, I wouldn’t do it in a Bronco if you are looking for a financial return rather than enjoyment.
Thanks for the info on the Lightning example! I used ROI as a simple term to define the amount of money received back after owning. If you got your money back after enjoying your truck for 25 years that's pretty good! I expect to enjoy my personally configured Bronco and resale will be what it will be. I'm in for the enjoyment for sure. Just curious what others thought or expect to experience for resale. Your example would be something to potentially look forward to if attainable with the high volume being produced as you mention.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One that sits in the garage for 50 years and gets started once a day, but doesn’t go anywhere? Lol

The one with whatever features you think Ford will get rid of:

Limited run colors
Stick shift
One that’s signed by Esteban!
One that’s famous..been in one of these videos :)

In about 10 years they will all be limited editions as gas only vehicles. They will be looking back at our Broncos and talking about what little horsepower and torque they have as straight gas engines LOL

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for the info on the Lightning example! I used ROI as a simple term to define the amount of money received back after owning. If you got your money back after enjoying your truck for 25 years that's pretty good! I expect to enjoy my personally configured Bronco and resale will be what it will be. I'm in for the enjoyment for sure. Just curious what others thought or expect to experience for resale. Your example would be something to potentially look forward to if attainable with the high volume being produced as you mention.
It was probably easier to keep the Lightning pristine than it will be the Bronco. The Lighting had massively wide tires and 2 wheel drive that did not like rain and would have hated snow had it ever had to go out in it. The Bronco on the other hand will be like a kid in mud puddles after a rain and the first one out in the fresh snow!

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I find it funny that a lot of you are picking your own configuration as the best investment.

OK... I can play that game! My Base 2-door Bronco with almost nothing on it will be the best investment because:
  1. It is about $2K underpriced to begin with compared to the 2-door to 4-door door jump at any other trim level.
  2. Getting a Bronco, ANY BRONCO in 5 years/75K miles for about $25K (with a canoe as shown) will be very hard to get... and so my depreciation will only be about about $7K. Driving a Bronco for 5 years for only $1400 of depreciation per year will be AWESOME. Then I can "retire" that Bronco and just reduce the miles driven and probably keep it around $25K indefinitely.
  3. I can put the $20K that I am saving compared to your Chewbacca DeLuxe Package into redoing the kitchen, increasing the value of our house so much it will make up for the depreciation I lost on the Bronco.

Ford Bronco What is the best configuration if purchasing for investment - FE n/a Bronco No Doors Roof

Ford Bronco What is the best configuration if purchasing for investment - FE n/a Canoe Front

Last edited:

RobC2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3P
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the manuals will hold value better long term while being cheaper upfront. Way more people want automatics, so that is typically all dealers ever have. The few die-hard manual lovers out there are always willing to pay to get one. The same could be said of a two door. If you look at Wranglers, they are very hard to find on dealer lots. So my guess would be a base manual two door. I would go with Squatch as well due to the value of everything it includes.
Sponsored