Sponsored

What is the issue with Lux and the accessory winch mounts?

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've posted some of this in other threads, but thought maybe a thread could help clear this up for me. I've been looking at photos of the winch from Ford, like the one below, and trying to figure out what the exact problem is.

Ford Bronco What is the issue with Lux and the accessory winch mounts? bronco_bumper

The photo above, which is the clearest I've seen so far, shows the cutout for the ACC sensor on a model that doesn't appear to be Lux (no parking sensors?) or have ACC. Is that black box there on all of them regardless of trim level? Am I misunderstanding where the ACC sensor is (it is that black box under the winch, correct?)?

At any rate, my question is why the whole winch mount/plate couldn't be raised an inch or two to clear the cavity, basically putting the plate on the same level as the rest of the bumper. Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, that would clear the sensor and allow it to be exposed without being covered.

I also noted, and as you can see above, the instructions show that the mount extends outwards a fair bit more than the standard ring mounts. Would that impact the sensor with it being so close? I imagine it views outwards in a sortof conal fashion, so I wonder if the sides of the mount are blocking it. I also recognize at least 2-3 of the parking sensors would be blocked.

Has Ford or anyone else offered up a conclusive indication as to why this wouldn't work? I'm trying to determine the viability of fabricating something similar that would work with the ACC, but am not 100% clear on why the ACC/Lux doesn't work with this, so I don't know how to fix it. If it is the height, then that seems solvable.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good question. I sort of thought that little box was the Forward sensing since it shows up on Vehicles without ACC.

So I guess we need to determine exactly where the ACC sensor is.

And of course, there is the Camera thing..always thought that played a roll in Ford saying it is not compatible.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

While there is no restriction on ordering the $3500 winch where a $350winch would work there are 2 issues specified. One the physical mount interference and the second with the 360 degree camera.

From the a censors page

Note 2 LUX Package includes ACC - Adaptive Speed Control bracketry location not winch compatible (ACC Zones interfere with Winch Mounting Bracket)

Note: Vehicles equipped with 360 Degree Camera option, Winch installation diminishes front camera view. Front camera system switches on with vehicle mode set to Mud/Sand, Rock Crawl, or Baja. See Owner Manual for feature function

You cannot move the ACC but any old cobbled up plate extension or angle bracket might work. The camera can be shut off or the warnings ignored

One would think, however, that charging nearly 10x what one can buy a similarly functioning device sewhere that such a price would have come with some extra engineering. If anyone needs a winch it certainly would be blokes like me with OBX, LUX, nonSAS , more likely to get stuck where we should not even have ventured?

In any event, I have a $100 winch from Harbor Freight I might attempt fitting it, I will let you know how it goes

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to speculate that the Ford setup does work with ACC but the winch was close enough for potential interference that the Ford lawyers wanted to limit liability.

Also, is the Ford solution really $3500?? For that money you can buy a new bumper with a recessed winch mount and a winch and retain front camera functionality and still have money left over.

And the ACC box has been mislabeled, it is really just an ACC cover with the sensor behind it. The sensor can be relocated and aftermarket solutions are coming to market soon. Wait until SEMA in November as we that will be full of bumper / winch solutions and ideas. Also, while the same cover can be found on all trims there is nothing behind it but molded plastic that houses the shutter motors.

OP
OP

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, Ford's solution is $3500 MSRP, I've seen it down at $3k. I do agree, though, that the pricing is absurdly high. It isn't THAT sophisticated of a mounting mechanism. Agreed that you'd expect it to have something others don't, but sadly that isn't the case or it was made and issues were identified too late in production. The stranger thing is that I found an early render of the winch mount online and it raises it higher up.

The recessed options block the ACC sadly, although I did see one relocation bracket, it seems to leave the sensor exposed. I saw a photo of one of the race models with a winch behind the intercooler, which would be rad, but probably a pain to install or work on.

I briefly considered getting the Ford one, as the bolts for the mount would easily make it removable, however I think I'll wait to see what other solutions come to market. I chatted with a fab shop earlier today about it and they suggested I wait also. I don't wanna drop $3k to be the guinea pig. I'm not sure I'd want to spend that anyway. The idea that it works but has liability concerns seems somewhat reasonable and possible, otherwise it just seems too bizarre that it is so close to not covering the sensor.

Thanks for the info. We'll see what happens I suppose. I was halfway hoping the fab shop would have some ideas, but I think the way the sensor work is a bit of an enigma and no one wants to take the risk it doesn't work.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take a close look at my avatar for one of the coming solutions. ACC sensor will be able to be relocated to either left or right of the winch. Coming soon...
Sponsored