Sponsored

What is the market value of Ford's OE Soft Top?

B_Wagon136

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
WARNING -- ALGEBRA AHEAD(!)

Like some of us, I ditched the MIC hard top from my order and took the $2,500 rebate.

Good news is, I got a production date scheduled today after making the order mods last week.

Bad news is, the after market Hard Top is going to come in over $6k.. Selling the factory soft top that comes standard could help cover some of that cost (along with the $2,500 rebate, etc). But what's it actually worth?

Since the Soft Top comes standard, its tough to say.

The MIC Hard Top is a $695 add-on from Ford, but this is actually the cost of adding the Hard Top while subtracting the Soft Top. Meaning: The Hard Top (X) is worth $695 more than the Soft Top (Y).

The dual top option to add the MIC while keeping the standard Soft Top is $2,545. This isolates the cost of the Hard Top (X) as $2,545.

So:
X = $2,545
Y = X - $695

Therefore:
Y = $1,850. This is the "cost" of Ford's OE soft-top.

Coincidently, this aligns fairly well with the market value of other soft-top alternatives. A Ford Trektop is $2,319 on Pony Parts. A Bestop Trektop is $1,999. Has anybody tried selling their OE Soft Top - if so, what'd you get??
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think $2300 - $2500 is fair for a new "in-box" soft top. Granted I don't think you will be able to sell it for that much, but if I was buying new from Ford I would expect it to be around $2500 when all was said and done.

The hard top costs are super muddled. The huge problem with hard top is shipping/packaging costs. It has to be packed in a crate, and it has to be shipped via freight. Not exactly something you can shove into a UPS box and send on its way. Ford can dramatically minimize the hard top costs since they are local to the manufacturing facility and they are buying/shipping in bulk using racks that can carry hundreds of hard top components at a time. But if/when Ford offers the hard top stand alone, there is NO WAY Ford will sell the hard top for anywhere close to $2545.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Market will dictate what you can get. My buddy ditched his for the Trektop and couldnā€™t give away his OEM flappy top. After 2 months of it sitting in his garage he sold it for $400.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Damn! Iā€™m taking mine off tomorrow, itā€™s brand new, roughly 1K miles, garage kept, and thought it would be worth around $1500. I guess Iā€™ll just store it away.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Zero.

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is very little demand for the soft top as other have said. Most people who want a soft top already have one. By the way I really like the soft top it is very convenient.

drock1892

Outer Banks
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Damn! Iā€™m taking mine off tomorrow, itā€™s brand new, roughly 1K miles, garage kept, and thought it would be worth around $1500. I guess Iā€™ll just store it away.
I would be interested (if 4 door), but probably not very cost effective to ship to Michigan.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would be interested (if 4 door), but probably not very cost effective to ship to Michigan.
Yeah, itā€™s a 4 door. I wouldnā€™t even know where to start about shipping?

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thought I could add to this.

I recently picked up my ā€˜23 WT 4dr MIC. I also wanted a ST for the summer months. Found a clean take off with about 6k miles on it one state over for sale on CL (regional search, there were none near me).

Reached out to the seller and he was great (whatā€™s up John if youā€™re reading this!). He had wanted a HT, but bought with a ST off the lot, and ended up ordering a HT from his local dealer after. When it arrived he put his ST in storage.

We talked it out and settled on $1000 even. He removed as many brackets and bolts as possible. I will still need to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of parts from Ford to make the conversion (thereā€™s a good thread on it). Then I located a shipping agent in the sellerā€™s town and had him drop it off there.

The shipping agent charged me $450 to have the ST, windows, and hardware packaged in a custom container w/ pallet and shipped to a dock in my city approximately 6 hours away. It took about 2 weeks total to get everything worked out and sent.

Iā€™d say market demand sets the price. If you want a ST and donā€™t have one youā€™re in the minority (HT are clearly in greater demand). Once you find one you may have to hustle a bit to put something together that works for both parties but it can be done.

All in it will probably cost me around $1700 +/- so you guys arenā€™t that far off on the price. Call local shipping and freight companies to figure out safe packaging and transit. Save some money by picking up AT the shipping dock in your town (it was going to cost an additional $80 to have it sent to my home).

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now that we are seeing a new updated version of the soft top floating around with tighter windows I would imagine it is going to be harder to get good money for the gen one tops.

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
locally on FB i see ones for 1200 not selling. I would buy one for less than 800 if it was basically new and off of a 2023 but I probably wouldn't buy one from a earlier model year to be honest. Rather just get a sunrider for the hard top 1500 and I still get the very convenient rear hardtop glass window with washer and wiper blade. BUt thats just me and my local market. Heck im even debating on buying a second bronco (i have two on order still) and selling the hardtop for cash, adding a soft top I get for cheap and selling the car)

Whodat

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve got a brand new 2023 4 door soft top for sale if anyone interested. In New Orleans.
Sponsored