Sponsored

What is the "Production" Process that begins on March 29th?

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen articles stating that the Bronco enters production on March 29th with Job 1. What does that mean to us, the order holders?

With the first deliveries planned by Ford to be in June, that leaves ~9-11 weeks between the start of production and first deliveries. How does that timeline break down?
Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe it’s 500 vehicles or something like that for that date. These will possibly for dealerships to show off to customers but not for sale. Production for reservation holders doesn’t begin until May.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've seen articles stating that the Bronco enters production on March 29th with Job 1. What does that mean to us, the order holders?

With the first deliveries planned by Ford to be in June, that leaves ~9-11 weeks between the start of production and first deliveries. How does that timeline break down?
@PREMiERdrum @LEGEND @KyTruckPlant

Any of you folks able to describe what this means to us non-mfg people?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This assumes there will be no problems and they get the OK to buy from the jump. Ford is known for having first run of new model issues. As evidence I offer the 2020 Explorer from the Chicago assembly plant.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@PREMiERdrum @LEGEND @KyTruckPlant

Any of you folks able to describe what this means to us non-mfg people?
Units built after March 29 will not go to the crusher after their time in the sun.
From what I understand, official Job 1 for units to be sold to customers is on May 3rd. Units built in between CAN be sold to retail customers, but will be mannequins for the dealers that can eventually be sold to the public (I may be wrong on that though) , company leases for folks who's job title entitles them to such a nice perk, and other such vehicles than CAN officially be sold.

I don't know a lot about all the scheduling as far as when they start building what, but I do know we receive a broadcast from corporate that gives us the build order. And that system is set up ON a schedule, to broadcast the build schedule. So it all comes down to someone up north flipping the switch, or scheduling the scheduler.

The way the systems are set up now, its takes some effort to build out of the order we are sent. All major components arrive to the assembly line in the order of the build sequence.
For example: a unit with a rotation number of "0453" has been through body construction and paint. First thing that's done is the doors are removed (easier on Bronco than anything I've seen built!) and sent to a separate line for final assembly. Somewhere on the first line, they find out a welded in nut is missing and the unit has to be pulled off for repair (Most things are repaired as they go down the line, but some require off line repairs).
When that unit is removed from the sequence, we have to notify every final build area that we have a skip. Anything that goes onto the cab has to be pulled aside; the doors, instrument panel, grille, front facia, headlights, tail lights, and whole number of other things. The chassis will go ahead and get built and then put aside to wait for the cab. Opposite if something happens to the chassis. Pull the wheels, bumper, motor, transmission, and set the cab aside. If something happens to the doors, you build the rest and put them aside to be reinserted.

You get the idea, It's a real headache.

And one hiccup in the supply chain, we end up renting out all of the parking lots in the area, build what we can, then park them while they wait for wiper arms, console lids, or what ever it is we are waiting on.

I think that might have been way overdone as a reply, But it pains me to go back and delete it all. When I see/hear complaints about why this or why not that, it makes me chuckle and think "thats not the way world works", at least not here...LOL. Its a welcome change for someone to ask how the sausage is made.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Units built after March 29 will not go to the crusher after their time in the sun.
From what I understand, official Job 1 for units to be sold to customers is on May 3rd. Units built in between CAN be sold to retail customers, but will be mannequins for the dealers that can eventually be sold to the public (I may be wrong on that though) , company leases for folks who's job title entitles them to such a nice perk, and other such vehicles than CAN officially be sold.

I don't know a lot about all the scheduling as far as when they start building what, but I do know we receive a broadcast from corporate that gives us the build order. And that system is set up ON a schedule, to broadcast the build schedule. So it all comes down to someone up north flipping the switch, or scheduling the scheduler.

The way the systems are set up now, its takes some effort to build out of the order we are sent. All major components arrive to the assembly line in the order of the build sequence.
For example: a unit with a rotation number of "0453" has been through body construction and paint. First thing that's done is the doors are removed (easier on Bronco than anything I've seen built!) and sent to a separate line for final assembly. Somewhere on the first line, they find out a welded in nut is missing and the unit has to be pulled off for repair (Most things are repaired as they go down the line, but some require off line repairs).
When that unit is removed from the sequence, we have to notify every final build area that we have a skip. Anything that goes onto the cab has to be pulled aside; the doors, instrument panel, grille, front facia, headlights, tail lights, and whole number of other things. The chassis will go ahead and get built and then put aside to wait for the cab. Opposite if something happens to the chassis. Pull the wheels, bumper, motor, transmission, and set the cab aside. If something happens to the doors, you build the rest and put them aside to be reinserted.

And one hiccup in the supply chain, we end up renting out all of the parking lots in the area, build what we can, then park them while they wait for wiper arms, console lids, or what ever it is we are waiting on.

I think that might have been way overdone as a reply, But it pains me to go back and delete it all. When I see/hear complaints about why this or why not that, it makes me chuckle and think "thats not the way world works", at least not here...LOL. Its a welcome change for someone to ask how the sausage is made.
Thanks @KyTruckPlant . A LOT of folks don't know, whether or not they will admit it, the mfg process (just like we don't all know the selling or the financing process). We rely on the folks "in the know" to keep us on the correct path. And THAT reduces "internet drama" that pitches EVERYONE off.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the info

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. That must really suck if something does not get "pulled" and you end up with incorrect builds. (or I presume there is a validation process to ensure every station has confirmed the re-ordering of equipment...) It seems that parking lot process is what was being described in the case of the chip shortage for any control units that could be installed later.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most folks couldn’t build a toaster from the ground up... but they’ll raise mortal hell if you can’t get something together for them that requires 10k parts... lol

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All correct above.

An interesting tidbid... there was a change made to the floor welds made prior to the 2/19 final Federal certification. Can't speak to the implication, but this was pretty late-stage to make an adjustment like that.

Legally speaking, anything produced after 2/19 can be legally sold to the public, those I don't expect any pre-3/29 builds to find their way into hands. Likely car show units, media drive rigs, etc.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most folks couldn’t build a toaster from the ground up... but they’ll raise mortal hell if you can’t get something together for them that requires 10k parts... lol
I that something that can get installed from the factory next to the rear fridge in my Bronco? asking for a friend.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For another $2k... sure

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's an AWESOME reply for us detail minded folks!
Thank you.

OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it!

Another question...
What is the typical time duration for a vehicle to go down the assembly line? For example...

Week 1&2 - Chassis and interior assembly (separately)
Week 3&4 - Paint and curing
Week 5 - Assembly of rolling chassis and interior
Week 6 - Final inspection
Week 7-??? - Transport to dealer

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. That must really suck if something does not get "pulled" and you end up with incorrect builds. (or I presume there is a validation process to ensure every station has confirmed the re-ordering of equipment...) It seems that parking lot process is what was being described in the case of the chip shortage for any control units that could be installed later.
Exactly this. We have just about, literally, had every vacant lot in Louisville filled with new vehicles at one point (between the 2 assembly plants here) waiting for one thing or another to get sorted out.
Sponsored