Sponsored

What is the verdict on being able to remove the second row seats in a 2 dr?

LARELL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would find more value in a completely fold flat seat vs a removable one.
i really wish the bottom seats just folded forward and the back of the seat had some kind of spring loaded hinge so that the seat back could push down and it would be flat. I'll probably put in some kind of platform in the back so that its level. why don't car company's make vehicles where the bottom of the seat folds forward anymore? (i miss my Saab 900s :cry:)
Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could always build a simple wood structure to level out the floor. Just drill holes for the studs which will assist in keeping it in place. Then it could be flat all the way down with storage underneath. I've also seen people intentionally make them thicker to allow for pull out shelving. It doesn't have to be a stupid expensive setup.

Ford Bronco What is the verdict on being able to remove the second row seats in a 2 dr? overland

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No disrespect, but how is there still so much confusion on this?

There is no “rear seat delete” option.

Seats are not designed for quick release, but they are not “permanently” installed, and could be taken out and reinstalled without drama.

We have plenty of photographs of the seats and the floors now (without seats installed) that we can map where the studs are from the body and count them (for both 2 and 4 doors). I posted some in another thread recently.

Seats bolt to those studs. Remove the seats you’re left with the studs sticking up and a sloping, contoured floor.

If you want to even out and level the body contour you’d need some sort of homemade or goose gear type platform... use the existing studs as anchor points.

The reason the seats don’t fold level with the floor is because they are bolted to the floor, and Ford left the rear cargo area as low as possible to maximize room. They could have made the floor level after the seats are folded, but it would have required raising the rear cargo floor... and if they did that we’d all be complaining that when we removed the seats the floor wasn’t flat.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
No disrespect, but how is there still so much confusion on this?

There is no “rear seat delete” option.

Seats are not designed for quick release, but they are not “permanently” installed, and could be taken out and reinstalled without drama.

We have plenty of photographs of the seats and the floors now (without seats installed) that we can map where the studs are from the body and count them (for both 2 and 4 doors). I posted some in another thread recently.

Seats bolt to those studs. Remove the seats you’re left with the studs sticking up and a sloping, contoured floor.

If you want to even out and level the body contour you’d need some sort of homemade or goose gear type platform... use the existing studs as anchor points.

The reason the seats don’t fold level with the floor is because they are bolted to the floor, and Ford left the rear cargo area as low as possible to maximize room. They could have made the floor level after the seats are folded, but it would have required raising the rear cargo floor... and if they did that we’d all be complaining that when we removed the seats the floor wasn’t flat.
The seat studs sticking up will complicate things, in terms of wanting an obstruction free rear floor after removing the seat and any seat brackets. On my Jeeps, the seats used bolts that screwed into the floor, and so after removal, there was nothing sticking up. (On the down side, rust under the floors would cause those bolts to rust in place.)

I will want a way to occasionally easily remove the entire rear seat and any brackets, without having things (studs) sticking up from the floor. That will likely mean some modifications.

I don't recall if there was mention of any electrical connections on the Bronco rear seat? On my newer 2014 car when removing the front seat, I had to unclip some wiring harness connections, used for occupant sensor and heated seats. Rear seat was easy with only one bolt and a clip. I don't think heats seats are a new Bronco option, not sure about any occupant sensors etc for the rear seat.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronco's shitty load floor is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. There's 2 ways to talk about rear seat removal:
  • remove in a way seats could be reinstalled
  • remove rear seats & toss them
Actual removal isn't all that hard. If you want them to be reinstallable, you'll need an aftermarket package from Goosegear or the like. The horizontal plane of the final load floor will need to be ABOVE the permanent seat bracket studs - which is probably @3" higher than the floor immediately forward of the rear door.

IMO, Ford had their head far far up their ass when they finalized this design.
True, the studs being inside the truck do help keep the threads from getting corroded though. This would be helpful for those, who have not purchased a quick release kit, doing the install/removal routine on a "frequent" basis.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
most cars do NOT have airbag seat sensors in the rear seats. In fact, I have never come across a car with air-bag sensors in the rear seats.

Well there's these threaded things called bolts that correspond to holes in the floor. Remove said bolts and whammo you got it. Now the big question is can you remove em without airbag light staying lit on the dash?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Build a false floor out of plywood to cover thread studs. If not a DIY’er, wait for aftermarket.

Kirk
That's an option for some, but I would not want to lose the 2 inch or so of space across the entire floor with a raised platform.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Realistically we’re talking about Quadratec or someone similar that has a history of producing “fixit” type little products for jeeps coming out with molded rubber or plastic blocks with holes in them to cover the studs.

it’s not ideal that they are there, but there are workarounds. Hell I can see having a GG plate system or similar in there with the studs still sticking up through the plywood which could serve as an additional attachment point for tie-downs or all sorts of other cool stuff.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be cool to see the aftermarket come up with some jump seats facing inward to replace the rear seats.

I haven't seen anything like that on jeeps. Maybe crash/injury liability/safety issues? I wonder how hard it would be to home brew something...
I would be all over this

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would be cool to see the aftermarket come up with some jump seats facing inward to replace the rear seats.

I haven't seen anything like that on jeeps. Maybe crash/injury liability/safety issues? I wonder how hard it would be to home brew something...
For several years I had the rear seat in my CJ-7 facing backwards (with a homemade mount). Rear passengers liked it, because that config tended to keep hair out of the face. Because topless the wind tended to curl around and flow forward for rear occupants. Also passengers could exit/enter via the rear tailgate, without needing to move front passengers and flip the seats.

On the other hand, my old Land Rover has the rear sideways facing seats, but I wouldn't say those are the most comfortable way to travel.

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 corvette and 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Me thinks a cut-off wheel on a grinder would solve the problem with the studs.
Sponsored

Last edited: