Sponsored

What is used on the exterior for Surface Care?

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, son's 08 Civic, wife's biz 22 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Speaking with my finance person going over options and he mentioned Surface Care. I asked but he is out, and it’s not mentioned on the web brochure, does anyone know what they put on the Bronco for this? It’s not ceramic is it?
Sponsored

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't get any sort of "protection" package from a dealer. It's gonna be half assed.

Just buy some of this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic-3-in-1-wax/

Apply and reapply whenever you see that water doesn't bead. That's one of the longest lasting products according to this channel:

But you should just apply it every month or two honestly. It's super easy.

As a heads up, those "ceramic" coatings that cost a shit ton of money do the same as the above but just last longer. That's it. They do not protect from scratches like some people believe.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree with @Sardine. NEVER get anything they offer at the dealer.

Surface Protection = Wax - and probably just the kind you get at a Car Wash
Scotch Guard = $8 at Walmart
Nitrogen Filled Tires = AIR! (already 78% Nitrogen)

Some places say they do these automatically (they give you no choice) and charge $100's for it. (And you usually cannot even tell anything was done) Just dare them to take it off because you didn't want it and they will admit that nothing was really done.

Whatever 'voodoo' solution they push is WILDLY marked up - that is where dealerships make the most money.

Pay for Quality work at a reputable service shop - you will be much happier.

OP
OP
mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

thanks for the feedback. our bronco is on its way to the dealership and i reached out to my guy who does our customizations and he said ceramic will be about $800, along with other stuff he is doing. surface care is $700 at the dealer and although it has a 7-year warranty, i am skeptical with the same half assed thoughts. will probably have my guy do it then use the griot's stuff above for maintenance.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ford ceramic coating will not measure up to anything private guys use,product wise.. Dont use ford for that.

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree with @Sardine. NEVER get anything they offer at the dealer.

Surface Protection = Wax - and probably just the kind you get at a Car Wash
Scotch Guard = $8 at Walmart
Nitrogen Filled Tires = AIR! (already 78% Nitrogen)

Some places say they do these automatically (they give you no choice) and charge $100's for it. (And you usually cannot even tell anything was done) Just dare them to take it off because you didn't want it and they will admit that nothing was really done.

Whatever 'voodoo' solution they push is WILDLY marked up - that is where dealerships make the most money.

Pay for Quality work at a reputable service shop - you will be much happier.
I was looking at a new mustang while getting my oil changed a few weeks ago. Window sticker had an add on sheet that included window tint and pinstriping. Needless to say the car had no pinstripe or tint.

OP
OP
mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just got a response, he said “it’s like ceramic”. So even more of a pass.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got a response, he said “it’s like ceramic”. So even more of a pass.
Lmao. Yeah hard pass.

If you're dead set on a professionaly applied ceramic coating then definitely use an established legit shop that specializes in that. They'll most likely also paint correct the vehicle first. Even new paint has imperfections.

This is expensive, though. And honestly for something like a bronco that's gonna be offroaded I don't think it's worth it. Hell, I think PPF would be better suited for an offroad vehicle as it'll protect from pinstripping from branches, etc.

Those professional ceramics are for people who just don't have the time to take 10 mins every month applying something like Griots 3 in 1.

OP
OP
mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lmao. Yeah hard pass.

If you're dead set on a professionaly applied ceramic coating then definitely use an established legit shop that specializes in that. They'll most likely also paint correct the vehicle first. Even new paint has imperfections.

This is expensive, though. And honestly for something like a bronco that's gonna be offroaded I don't think it's worth it. Hell, I think PPF would be better suited for an offroad vehicle as it'll protect from pinstripping from branches, etc.

Those professional ceramics are for people who just don't have the time to take 10 mins every month applying something like Griots 3 in 1.
my guy has been doing it for years, this will be our 5th car with him and he just started a brand new shop that is almost complete. we live just north of you, not a lot of off-roading in the area and it will be a daily driver.
Sponsored