Sponsored

What Jeep trim compares with the Black Diamond?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have too, on one of my Broncos and one of my Rangers, when it was rare for anyone to have lockers of limited slip, but didn't buy the tires on the stock truck, I just don't think I would option that way factory. Much easier to change tires than differentials. I had Mud terrains on my LJ and one of my Rangers with both with limited slip and I would say it was a toss up on which helped more, but both the M/T and LS were significantly better than open and M/T. My LJ was so good off road, other than high centering, I don't think I ever got it ever got stuck.
I think it depends almost entirely on what you’re getting into. Some situations the tires would help more, some the locker/LS would help more.

Having both is your best bet ?
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So to answer the OP's original question on which Wrangler trim compares to BD...I don't think the current JL line-up has a direct comparison due to the standard rear locker on the BD. You would have to look at a JK Moab or JK Willys to better compare. Sure, Jeep offers 12 different JL Wranglers but when you start drilling down into the capability specs they really just offer a Rubicon and 11 different dressed up models.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not so sure about Jeep including lockers on any models besides the Rubicon anymore. I know they used too as my JKU has rear lockers. But I cannot find anywhere on their website that says so. If they do, it is a well guarded secret. From their website under the capability section:

1607448406912.png

1607448450102.png

1607448472855.png

The only mention of lockers is on the standard Rubicon system.
Yup. Funny that Jeep has made such an essential feature more and more exclusive as time has gone on. From what I understand you could just option a rear locker on any trim with the 2010 and prior JK’s. And it sounds like some of the special edition JK’s also had them, now even the special edition JL’s don’t. Ford threw a monkey wrench into that plan though...

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Black Diamond and Willys seem to fill the same niche and if you look at price a 4 door Black Diamond starts at about 38,500 and the Willys starts at 38,400... But the black diamond offers rear lockers and to get a hard top is only $650 more vs the $1300 more on the Jeep. Black Diamond also seems to have better infotainment than Jeep. Jeep does have a "cold weather group" available though.

When you look at 2 door the Bronco starts at about 1k more than the Jeep, but again comes with lockers plus the hard top is standard. I'd say the BD is a better value but it more depends on if you want a live front axle or IFS.

OP
OP
Vooch

Vooch

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Crosstrek xv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Black Diamond and Willys seem to fill the same niche and if you look at price a 4 door Black Diamond starts at about 38,500 and the Willys starts at 38,400... But the black diamond offers rear lockers and to get a hard top is only $650 more vs the $1300 more on the Jeep. Black Diamond also seems to have better infotainment than Jeep. Jeep does have a "cold weather group" available though.

When you look at 2 door the Bronco starts at about 1k more than the Jeep, but again comes with lockers plus the hard top is standard. I'd say the BD is a better value but it more depends on if you want a live front axle or IFS.
Not to mention the MGV seats and washout interior.

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it depends almost entirely on what you’re getting into. Some situations the tires would help more, some the locker/LS would help more.

Having both is your best bet ?
My local Mall has some pretty serious planters and I have seen more than one pot hole on the parking lot, do you think I will need both lockers and MT's, or just maybe...............a Camry.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local Mall has some pretty serious planters and I have seen more than one pot hole on the parking lot, do you think I will need both lockers and MT's, or just maybe...............a Camry.
Does anyone go to the mall anymore??
Sponsored