Sponsored

What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7?

What Oil?

• Total voters

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wondering what oil you all are planning on running. Not trying to listen to members bicker back and forth. Maybe just share what you're thinking you'll use and quickly why.

I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic on my current vehicle. But I read in another forum someone suggesting a higher ZDDP for the turbo?
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my experience, higher ZDDP/Zinc is typically used for older, hydraulic and solid lifter cam motors. I know I used it in my LJ 4.0l. I would be interested in how it benefits turbo motors! Most of the oil that has higher levels (I used Valvoline Synthetic Blend and a ZDDP additive in the Jeep) was either the racing oils (Valvoline 20/W50) or Heavy Duty (Rotella 15/40W). Probably not what I would run in the 2.3 or 2.7.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Valvoline synthetic in my truck and whatever swill Ford puts in the mustang when I take it in. Semi synthetic I believe.

Sponsored

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've used Mobil 1 for many years in everything from old Hondas to LS1, LS2, and LS3 engines all without any issues.

Everyone will have their own, very strong, opinions on this topic which is fine, just use what you want because you have had great experience with your choice. Honestly, all the synthetic oils that will be mentioned will perform very well.

This is a great example, myself included, of "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up!"

Shoot, even AmazonBasics and Supertech, both made by a 100+ year old company, Warren Oil, test well. They cost a lot less, probably because they don't have the monster marketing budgets of the "name" brands.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the "Which oil filter is best?" thread to start!

Ford Bronco What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7? 66bbd975d1f2344d4bf0480ac6cd063b

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm running 2.7 million year old dino juice in mine. Every 6 months I'll drain it thru a sock and put it back in using a turkey baster. Every year I'll add in a quarter cup mixture of underwear blood and peanut oil to keep it from being too thin. Every 4 years I'll start over

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was a thread on here a while back about the specific oil required in the 2.7. And it had a new grade on it as I recall.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In my experience, higher ZDDP/Zinc is typically used for older, hydraulic and solid lifter cam motors. I know I used it in my LJ 4.0l. I would be interested in how it benefits turbo motors! Most of the oil that has higher levels (I used Valvoline Synthetic Blend and a ZDDP additive in the Jeep) was either the racing oils (Valvoline 20/W50) or Heavy Duty (Rotella 15/40W). Probably not what I would run in the 2.3 or 2.7.
While you're certainly right about solid lifters and flat tapped valves, there is modern relevance to this as well.

https://blog.amsoil.com/how-turboch...ality synthetic,2 specification, as show here.

High zinc content has been preferred by a number of turbo manufacturers at reducing bearing and shaft wear on the turbo. Forced Performance out of Plano, TX has encouraged higher zinc content for the past decade or so. Their site doesn't have that research document up currently so i've reached out to an old contact there to re-publish their research.

Obviously the 2.3 being a turbo motor is under incredible strain and will blow up the moment you get your foot into the throttle. But the twin turbo 2.7 should avoid all of that (right?).

For my Bronco, i'll either be running Kendall GT-1 high-zinc or possibly something from Amsoil as I had fabulous support from them and great Blackstone lab results for the 20 or so oil analysis done while I was track racing my Evo.

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/gt-1-competition-motor-oil-with-liquid-titanium/

Z-ROD is a high zinc offering from Amsoil (still researching if Z-ROD is suitable in this application compared to their signature blend. The rep will hopefully respond soon with their comparative zinc content).

https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-zrt/

Full disclosure: I use "Zinc" as a catch-all word for ZDDP

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going to use what grade is recommended in the owners manual, what make, really does not matter. The point is to change your oil and filter on a regular basis based off of the typ of driving you do and in what climate you do that driving in. One oil change might be at 6,000 miles the next might be at 3,000 miles. Today's oils are all good, you as the drive need to decide when you change it.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While you're certainly right about solid lifters and flat tapped valves, there is modern relevance to this as well.

https://blog.amsoil.com/how-turbochargers-and-direct-injection-are-changing-the-industry/#:~:text=Using a high-quality synthetic,2 specification, as show here.

High zinc content has been preferred by a number of turbo manufacturers at reducing bearing and shaft wear on the turbo. Forced Performance out of Plano, TX has encouraged higher zinc content for the past decade or so. Their site doesn't have that research document up currently so i've reached out to an old contact there to re-publish their research.

Obviously the 2.3 being a turbo motor is under incredible strain and will blow up the moment you get your foot into the throttle. But the twin turbo 2.7 should avoid all of that (right?).

For my Bronco, i'll either be running Kendall GT-1 high-zinc or possibly something from Amsoil as I had fabulous support from them and great Blackstone lab results for the 20 or so oil analysis done while I was track racing my Evo.

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/gt-1-competition-motor-oil-with-liquid-titanium/

Z-ROD is a high zinc offering from Amsoil (still researching if Z-ROD is suitable in this application compared to their signature blend. The rep will hopefully respond soon with their comparative zinc content).

https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-zrt/

Full disclosure: I use "Zinc" as a catch-all word for ZDDP
Good stuff. I will definitely look into it. I can’t remember any downsides to the Zinc, Maybe it was emissions that created issues with its use? I also wonder if any of the oils that meet the new DI standard have elevated levels? As long as Mobil 1 meets the new standard, I will probably stick with it, but maybe a ZDDP additive makes sense?