Sponsored

What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7?

What Oil?

• Total voters

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm running 2.7 million year old dino juice in mine. Every 6 months I'll drain it thru a sock and put it back in using a turkey baster. Every year I'll add in a quarter cup mixture of underwear blood and peanut oil to keep it from being too thin. Every 4 years I'll start over
I was gonna respond with some smart ass comment but this is WAY better than anything I would’ve said lmao.

serious answer, whatever the dealership puts in.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pennzoil Ultra Platnum is a good oil. Just not as good as Amsoil Signature Series. And no I don't sell Amsoil. I've just done a lot of lubricant research, and Amsoil is the best.
Yep I run Amsoil in all my bikes, but for my other vehicles Pennzoil is easier to come by & a free extended engine warranty never hurts ;)

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep I run Amsoil in all my bikes, but for my other vehicles Pennzoil is easier to come by & a free extended engine warranty never hurts ;)
Check out Project Farm's Oil Championship video on YouTube. Amsoil vs Pennzoil Ultra Platnum. Both are great lubricants, but Amsoil is the best! You can get Amsoil shipped right to your door. And if you sign up for yearly auto renewal for Amsoil's preferred customer program, at $15.00 a year? You get 25% off every order.

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wondering what oil you all are planning on running. Not trying to listen to members bicker back and forth. Maybe just share what you're thinking you'll use and quickly why.

I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic on my current vehicle. But I read in another forum someone suggesting a higher ZDDP for the turbo?
There is a new standard for motor oils that came out in May 2020 that targets new engine fuel economy and emissions controls and especially turbo engines with GDI. The new standard is ILSAC GF-6 / API SP (SN+ is the old standard for GDI engines to combat low speed pre-ignition/LSPI). The seven new test in the ILSAC GF-6A are Fuel Economy, LSPI, Chain Wear, Sludge, Deposits, Valve Train Wear. Valvoline was at the forefront on this and had their product available for the new API label as soon as licensing was approved in 1 May 2020. I haven't seen the API SP or GF-6A rating on Mobile1 or Amsoil yet but I would imagine that it has to be coming soon. So, Whatever oil company you choose, just make sure it has the ILSAC GF-6A / API SP rating and change the oil more frequently than recommended on the 7-10k schedule (probably use the med duty schedule Ford recommends @ 5000k miles or less) whether it's in the 2.3 GDI or the 2.7 PFI/GDI.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

did you read this. Please read this > https://recondoil.com/synthetic-oil-guide

mobile1 is a group 3 oil and a true synthetic can only be group 4 and 5.

“full synthetic” is a marketing term.

from this article >> https://recondoil.com/synthetic-oil-guide:

“Full synthetic”
Due to a legal loophole, Group III oils are frequently labeled as synthetic oils. While they are quite altered from the crude feedstock they come from, it’s a bit of a misnomer.

A true synthetic oil is generally a Group IV oil combined with Group V additives in order to form a “true synthetic” oil. PAO oils have an even bigger advantage over Group II oils(the most common conventional oil) than Group III oils.

Unfortunately, if you live in the United States, it can be hard to ensure that you end up with a true synthetic oil. A court ruling in 1997 upheld the right of oil manufacturers to label Group III oils as synthetic.

Unfortunately, there’s no regulations requiring the labels to say anything about it on the bottle, so you’ll have to do careful research yourself to ensure you’ve got the best oil for your motor.

whatever ... use what you want but there is a reason why Mobil 1 is the least expensive "full synthetic" on the market because it is a blend.
Ford Bronco What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7? 1605176908474

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That original article from recondoil listed earlier was crap. Probably because I am in a research class and find articles like that a joke? , but companies are probably using loopholes to call their oil full synthetic. At least these so called "not true synthetic" oils perform just as well as real synthetics so in the long run it really doesn't matter.
Yes it was crap. No clue why it was even posted. As for the rest of your answer, at least that makes better sense. Even trying to look up this "loophole" it only brings up that recondoil link and some comments in the comments section with no source.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Full syn
I’m not brand loyal as long as the spec meets the requirement. It will be changed every 5000 miles.

I know Ford says it’s OK but I prefer not to run a blended oil with turbos.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please search "Amsoil vs Everything Else" on YouTube and watch the video!
Familiar with Amsoil, big in the Bass boat world. Not saying it is not good oil but in my time of driving everything from 115 degrees to minus 15 degrees if you do not push your oil to the max limit, when viscosity starts to break down, the oils today do just fine. It is just like with bass boats everyone has their favorite so it is the best.

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a new standard for motor oils that came out in May 2020 that targets new engine fuel economy and emissions controls and especially turbo engines with GDI. The new standard is ILSAC GF-6 / API SP (SN+ is the old standard for GDI engines to combat low speed pre-ignition/LSPI). The seven new test in the ILSAC GF-6A are Fuel Economy, LSPI, Chain Wear, Sludge, Deposits, Valve Train Wear. Valvoline was at the forefront on this and had their product available for the new API label as soon as licensing was approved in 1 May 2020. I haven't seen the API SP or GF-6A rating on Mobile1 or Amsoil yet but I would imagine that it has to be coming soon. So, Whatever oil company you choose, just make sure it has the ILSAC GF-6A / API SP rating and change the oil more frequently than recommended on the 7-10k schedule (probably use the med duty schedule Ford recommends @ 5000k miles or less) whether it's in the 2.3 GDI or the 2.7 PFI/GDI.
  • Mobil 1 Truck & SUV full synthetic motor oil 5W-30 also helps control oxidation to prevent oil breakdown and meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean and helping your fuel economy.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What kills me is when folks buy top of the line oil and then change it every 3-5k ... what a waste.

So either buy "whatever oil" (as long as it meets the specs) and change it every 5, or buy good oil and change it at 10.

I've been using Mobile One Extended ($25 @ 5 gln) every 10K and have used Black Labs to verify the oil has plenty left (no...not on every oil change).

So unless Mobil 1 doesn't meet that spec...why mess with a good thing.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Holy smokes. Could one of you gear heads please give me a strongly worded opinion so I can accept it as the truth, please?