Sponsored

What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7?

What Oil?

• Total voters

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

she aint the smartest philly in the barn but she can pour oil on me.
Ill be using mobil 1 most likely its in everything else,turbos are hard on oil and i cant stomach leaving it in after 5000 it just me, as all my stuff gets rode hard and put away wet.
Sponsored

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Holy smokes. Could one of you gear heads please give me a strongly worded opinion so I can accept it as the truth, please?
You asked, so here's mine to add to the argument, I mean discussion:
1. Use one of the synthetic oils already mentioned, you can't go wrong with the choices offered. Some may be more readily available than others.
2. Change the oil more frequently than required by the owner's manual. The annual cost difference will be negligible and you're protecting a multi-thousand dollar investment.
3. Change the filter every time you change the oil. Use a premium, synthetic media filter. Again, there will be different opinions but I'll mention Mobil 1 M1 Extended Performance Oil Filter.
4. Change the oil and filter yourself or find a well regarded, locally owned, auto repair shop. Take them the oil and filter if needed and just pay them for the labor and oil disposal. Do not go to one of the quick, drive through oil change places.

OK, I'm off my soap box.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What kills me is when folks buy top of the line oil and then change it every 3-5k ... what a waste.
Car in my avatar requires 6 month or 6k oil changes ( whatever comes first ), to keep the warranty intact. I never make it anywhere close to the 6K mark, before the 6 months are up.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll read through this thread and get some good info but generally I don't know much about oil. I just always take my vehicles to Valvoline and go full synthetic. I do this because it's quick and easy and I can get it done on my lunch break.

Sponsored

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t add nothing more or less than Ford stuff,
Ford filter,
Ford oil
MOTORCRAFT

VegasKoop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Whatever Ford tells me to use....to avoid any warranty issues.

seasaw

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F150 4x4 5mt , 05 325iT 5mt, '17 Canyon 6mt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Redline oil and Motorcraft filter. Put Redline in everything I've owned for 15 yrs. I think it's overkill but it's piece of mind and I always keep a vehicle >200,00. I can't prove any benefits of using their motor oil but their transmission fluid definitely smoothed the shifting in my 90 Ranger when it was getting balky. Same with an 87 325is.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5W-30

I have used the manufacturer recommended oil and weight in every Ford I've owned. They've never done wrong by me and I've had outstanding life-time performance on every engine.

So, I'm going with Ford's recommendation for the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ironic, even dealers don't use the recommended oil. They put in whatever they bought in their 55 gallon discounted can.

IMO, today's oils far exceed engine demand so as long as you are putting in any of the "good ones"... (again, that meet the specs required for the turbos and such)

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Schaeffer's is good. Just not as good as Amsoil.?
Amsoil is good. Just not as good as Schaeffer’s?. All jokes aside I completely understand that some oils are better than others but as long as these folks stick with any good quality oil and most importantly DO NOT try to see how long you can go on OCI you will be fine. Change your oil at a reasonable interval and if you are towing or in harsh conditions change it sooner (I.e look at your owners manual lol) I have never in my life seen an engine die an early death because someone used a cheap oil vs a pyramid scheme oil. As long as the oil was changed regularly before the lubricating properties went down it was all the same.

Reactions: abe

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Charky is spot on don't blindly trust the guy under your ride to put the right filter on or even leave your old filter on

And I'll take a cheap blend changed at 5k over leaving the best in for 10k

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a new standard for motor oils that came out in May 2020 that targets new engine fuel economy and emissions controls and especially turbo engines with GDI. The new standard is ILSAC GF-6 / API SP (SN+ is the old standard for GDI engines to combat low speed pre-ignition/LSPI). The seven new test in the ILSAC GF-6A are Fuel Economy, LSPI, Chain Wear, Sludge, Deposits, Valve Train Wear. Valvoline was at the forefront on this and had their product available for the new API label as soon as licensing was approved in 1 May 2020. I haven't seen the API SP or GF-6A rating on Mobile1 or Amsoil yet but I would imagine that it has to be coming soon. So, Whatever oil company you choose, just make sure it has the ILSAC GF-6A / API SP rating and change the oil more frequently than recommended on the 7-10k schedule (probably use the med duty schedule Ford recommends @ 5000k miles or less) whether it's in the 2.3 GDI or the 2.7 PFI/GDI.
Yep. But is is more specifically relevant for the 2.3 DI motor. I think the specification can also help with the 2.7 timing chains as well. I will be looking for the new spec next time I buy oil and may change from Mobil 1 until it meets the new requirement.
Edit- apparently Mobil 1 Synthetic does, just not the last case I bought apparently ??
Sponsored

Last edited: