Sponsored

What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7?

What Oil?

• Total voters

Ponyup

Badlands
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, Nissan Armada, CX-3, Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found a shelf full of this in the garage.
Ford Bronco What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7? F4E6919F-B9B7-4610-8D56-8D21DA136CD8
Ford Bronco What motor oil are you going to run in your 2.7? F4E6919F-B9B7-4610-8D56-8D21DA136CD8
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whatever the dealership puts in during regular maintenance..

My entire garage is a wood shop, so oil changes would have to be out front on the driveway and itā€™s just too bloody hot here to worry about that. I also hate having to deep clean all my tools to make sure the oil/grease is off or else I risk spoiling the finish on my wood projects if there is cross contamination.

So.. that leaves me at the mercy of the local Ford shop.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Either Motorcraft synthetic or Penzoil Ultra Platinum oil. Plus a Wix 51348XP filter. It has synthetic media in it.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of what you said makes sense, but Iā€™m really struggling with one aspect of it, so I gotta askā€¦ just every six months? I mean, WTF?!? šŸ˜…
The watch I wear, the one that angrily beeps when I get too fat, says I only drive about 300,000 steps a year. Which is about 10,000 freedom units. My tires dry rot before they ever get worn. It's what happens when you live exactly where you want to, and less than a mile (1 freedom unit) from work

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well one thing I noticed is in the owner's manual the recommended oil changes every 5,000 miles (when used moderately off-road). Basically unless you mall crawl only you're not supposed to go the 7.5-10k intervals.

So I think putting in super expensive oil is just a waste of money.

I do plan on making sure to meet any oil requirements (still unsure what those are) But the Walmart $25 jugs just can't be beat and that's probably what I'll stick with... Just like every other car before this one.

Sponsored

Big ragu

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wheres the rotella option

Kilgore

Badlands
First Name
Kilgore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our fleet is a mix of HD diesels, gas pickups, tractors, stationary engines and now a Bronco. We use 100% Walmart lubricants. Conventional and synthetic depending on the manufacturer requirements. Not a single oil related failure, ever. Mileage leader is a 500k mile dodge Cummins.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wondering what oil you all are planning on running. Not trying to listen to members bicker back and forth. Maybe just share what you're thinking you'll use and quickly why.

I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic on my current vehicle. But I read in another forum someone suggesting a higher ZDDP for the turbo?
Mainly Motorcraft because my dealer runs these oil change service specials that make it easier for me to just have them do it. They are loss leaders to get your vehicle in and hopefully be able to get other work while you're there. I get the oil changed, tires rotated and fluids topped off (mainly washer fluid) and an inspection for about the cost of supplies.

If the dealer ever stops this promo, I'll use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since this is an old poll resurrected we ought to have a poll thatā€™s not what oil you run but how many quarts! šŸ˜‚

Manual was updated to 6 so thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing. Costco sells Mobil 1 in a 6 pack and it goes on sale every month or so. I grab a box when itā€™s on sale ready for the next change.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

old 4 wheeler

Black Diamond
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F100 4x4, 82 toyota 4x4, 86 samurai,71FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In my experience, higher ZDDP/Zinc is typically used for older, hydraulic and solid lifter cam motors. I know I used it in my LJ 4.0l. I would be interested in how it benefits turbo motors! Most of the oil that has higher levels (I used Valvoline Synthetic Blend and a ZDDP additive in the Jeep) was either the racing oils (Valvoline 20/W50) or Heavy Duty (Rotella 15/40W). Probably not what I would run in the 2.3 or 2.7.
zinc is not recommended , it can damage your Cat. convertor

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since this is an old poll resurrected we ought to have a poll thatā€™s not what oil you run but how many quarts! šŸ˜‚

Manual was updated to 6 so thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing. Costco sells Mobil 1 in a 6 pack and it goes on sale every month or so. I grab a box when itā€™s on sale ready for the next change.
That debacle was so annoying. Ford....

To sum it up, a few things happened.
1) Bronco 2.7 has a notched oil pan (Smaller 6 QT) than the F-150 (7 QT).
2) The early Broncos had the wrong dipstick from the factory.
3) I believe the 2021 owners manuals said 7, but some dealers said 6, some said 7....
Sponsored