Sponsored

What problems do you have with your late model ford that you hope do not infect the new Bronco?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have an '01 F250 powerstroke where the automatic hubs no longer work. Fortunately, the hubs have both "Auto" and "Lock" so I can still manually lock them. The truck has only 65k miles on it. The Bronco has a different design and I hope the hubs are more reliable.
Either o-rings or a vacuum line. Neither are difficult nor expensive to fix. O-rings are more involved than finding a leaky vacuum line - requires disassembling the hubs - but most handy folks could manage it in an afternoon. It isn't a mileage issue, it's a matter of 19 year-old rubber parts losing their pliability and ability to seal. May have lasted longer if it saw more regular use. New additives and the near-perfection of seal chemistry ensure that the replacements (and anything built new) won't suffer the same fate.
Sponsored

KDAber64

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F 150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2014 F150 V8, currently 102k miles - left channel on the radio went out at about 40k miles. Power window switches act up from time to time. No rattles or squeaks, runs great. Tail gate latch sticks...badly.

Last edited:

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2015 Explorer, the little switch inside the shifter that tells the ECU that we're in park or neutral. Can't start the vehicle if that switch is open. Ford's initial estimate for a fix was $300 installation of the entire $600 shifter assembly, which I though was irrational, punitive, and predatory.

Internet research yielded results for earlier model Flex units with the same issue. 1 hour of my efforts and a $2.60 switch later, fixed - found the *exact* switch, only had to solder on the connector.

What I hope doesn't infect the Bronco is Ford's use of inferior, failure-prone parts in critical show-stopping places that are, as a bonus, difficult to service. And when they do, have someone actually figure out what the problem is and fix it correctly instead of replacing an entire expensive and otherwise perfectly good assembly. End the practice of penalizing the customer for engineering's mistakes while rewarding the dealers and corporate with additional sales.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

'17 Expedition had the same paint issues on the doors.
We have owned many Fords with various generations of Sync, its always buggy as hell. Loss of control is not uncommon, its sad when you memorize what fuse resets sync, I can tell you which one on about 6 various Ford models off the top of my head lol.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Put 10k miles on my 2020 F-350 since I got it in June and it's been good so far but I do have a few quibbles:
-10spd auto will randomly bang into first during deceleration. Feels a lot like getting rear-ended. Definitely a programming issue. Does it so rarely, though, that the dealer would never be able to reproduce it unless they put a thousand miles on the thing.
-I absolutely hate the hill hold on this damn thing. It's just so poorly executed and it can't be turned off. Why the hell do I need it on a slushbox auto anyways?
-The radio has a timer when the key is in the ACC position. Kind of annoying. I have five batteries on the damn thing, they'll be fine lol.
-Truck doesn't automatically resume whatever mode it was left in if you let it sit for a couple hours. Also doesn't remember the engine brake setting (diesel truck) I left it on almost instantly. Kind of curious if FORScan can fix this for me.

Most of those are just annoyances. The truck obviously gets a lot of use, but they're what I deal with on a daily basis.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
With my 1961 Thunderbird, it was the first model year for the 3rd generation car. There were a hundred little things which were resolved along the assembly line resulting in what amounts to three "runs" of vehicles in 1961, then hardware advancements and changes in '62 and further changes in '63 for the final year of the generation.

That being said, manufacturing in the late 50's and early 60's is nothing like today. Back then EVERY year of a run would have different trim, lights, surrounds or about a hundred other parts. Unlike today.

Here are a few of the "turd" first "run", 1st model year issues on the '61 that i've had to update/change/correct:

• '61 was the last year using a generator (12v)
  • Steering rack bushings were made of bubblegum
  • Idler arm design was WOEFULLY inadequate for the weight of the vehicle, this was updated in '62, then full re-design in '64. I run the '64 version now
  • Throttle stop bracket updated to '62
  • Oil filter housing relocation
  • External fuel pump
  • Autolite 4100 carb was garbage and had ridiculous linkage
  • Rear leaf shackle design wasn't up to snuff for vehicle weight
  • rust. so much rust
  • window motors which cost $500 (each) to rebuild/replace, plus 3.5 hours R&R (each)
  • chassis bracing hadn't been invented until '63
  • seatbelts were an option until 1964
In process: '61 brake booster is 1/4" larger diameter than other years, it leaks, weeps, doesn't stop for beans and prevents running taller valve covers.

Frankly, most problems on this list aren't bad at all. Just some minor stuff. Bronco will have some minor stuff as well.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Focus had the DCT transimission....Bronco doesn't have that so good there.

EPAS - this has me worried. In the tend this is what killed my focus. It is also what killed my brother in laws 2011 Fusion

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've had a great time with my 2015 Expedition, logged a ton of miles in it, it has been reliable and mainly trouble free. However, there are a few issues that have presented themselves over time, some merely cosmetic, others affecting functionality. And of course, the most severe issues come about just as the warranty expires...However, some of these issues are long standing issues across many Ford products going back as far as 2000, so, I worry. So I list in order of ocucuance, the issues I pray will not find their way to the Bronco.

1. Aluminum wheel clear coat failure (this also occurred on my '13 Expedition). My wheels now look like crap.
2. Paint failure on aluminum body parts. Hood and tailgate edges bubble and peel. (major concern since the Bronco has so many aluminum panels)

3. Steering wheel controls fail. The clock spring fails leaving half of the controls (radio volume, voice activation, phone) inoperable.

Curious to know what problems you have had!
Have not had any issues with the paint on my 2015 F150.

The 2.7 has been pretty good from what I've seen on the F150 forums although I think the plastic oil pan has been an issue.

Only real problem I had was the door locks freezing, it happened twice, the dealer fixed it and it has not happened again.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh, two more that I hope Sync4 fixes:

1) On occasion (especially when remote starting) my screen gets stuck at full brightness. I have to turn the brightness down and back up for it to remember my setting. If I can find the right canbus message, I'll automate that process in my car.

2) with a recent Sync3 update, your brightness is overridden to full brightness in reverse. That bright screen makes it really hard to look at my side mirror. It should be an option, not automatic.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

head gasket issue on the 2.3 eco boost (I needed an engine replacement at 61k miles in my Mustang).
Squeaks and rattles from the dash in my Mustang

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 07 mustang gt had the hood corrosion problem that made hood paint bubble on the lip of the hood the aluminum hoods were cross contaminated at the factory with nickel or differ t Metal causing the green oxidation corrosion had the hood repainted and it still came back. I’m praying to the gods that the aluminum panels on the bronco won’t have this problem. I hope the paint will be good from ford and not dog shit.

Badsquatch2021

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tbd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2011 f150 3.5eb wouldn't start below zero.
2013 f150 3.5eb head line rattled like hell, lights flicker, suspending squeaks and the highway shudder. I think it was a lemon.

blumtn

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 Toyota 4x4, '93 FJ80, '01 F250 4x4, '86 FXRS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Either o-rings or a vacuum line. Neither are difficult nor expensive to fix. O-rings are more involved than finding a leaky vacuum line - requires disassembling the hubs - but most handy folks could manage it in an afternoon. It isn't a mileage issue, it's a matter of 19 year-old rubber parts losing their pliability and ability to seal. May have lasted longer if it saw more regular use. New additives and the near-perfection of seal chemistry ensure that the replacements (and anything built new) won't suffer the same fate.
Thanks for the info. They've not worked for at least 10 yrs. It's not a big deal to me locking in the hubs. But with the Bronco, I won't have the manual option.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the info. They've not worked for at least 10 yrs. It's not a big deal to me locking in the hubs. But with the Bronco, I won't have the manual option.
Right - the function is still available, albeit manually. I'm happy with all the tech if it is totally reliable, or has a backup!

If I still lived in Knoxville, I'd happily fix those hubs. 2002 7.3l Excursion with 260k on it here. Waiting for a front bearing to go before I do the blown hub seals... I just lock them manually also.

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had a great time with my 2015 Expedition, logged a ton of miles in it, it has been reliable and mainly trouble free. However, there are a few issues that have presented themselves over time, some merely cosmetic, others affecting functionality. And of course, the most severe issues come about just as the warranty expires...However, some of these issues are long standing issues across many Ford products going back as far as 2000, so, I worry. So I list in order of ocucuance, the issues I pray will not find their way to the Bronco.

1. Aluminum wheel clear coat failure (this also occurred on my '13 Expedition). My wheels now look like crap.
2. Paint failure on aluminum body parts. Hood and tailgate edges bubble and peel. (major concern since the Bronco has so many aluminum panels)

3. Steering wheel controls fail. The clock spring fails leaving half of the controls (radio volume, voice activation, phone) inoperable.

Curious to know what problems you have had!
[/QUOTE
2018 f250 6.2. Perfect 61000 miles
Sponsored