Sponsored

What sort of weird things are you cross shopping the bronco with?

bronco_maybe

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox(company car), Silverado Z71, Elantra GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My minivan gave up the ghost some time ago and have been needing a family utility vehicle. Could not justify waiting for who knows how long for a new vehicle with no reliability history so picked up a crew cab truck (2020 Silverado 5.3 LT Z71).

Funny thing is that the wife LOVES driving the truck and I still have a long term plan that in 4-5 years the truck can go to her and I can then get a "fun vehicle." Bronco_Maybe
Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How much does a typical Shelby replica go for?
They vary a great deal. You can build a factory five yourself for around 50K depending on what engine you use. Or you can spend 200k if you get an aluminum hand built kirkham 427.

The most popular builds are usually in the 80k range for a backdraft and closer to 100k for a superformance or ERA.

There are a lot of companies that do replicas but like anything, you get what you pay for. Some like those from ERA are nearly identical to the originals. Others deviate a bit. I have driven a few and there is nothing like cruising in a open top cobra.

jaekim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 ZHP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They vary a great deal. You can build a factory five yourself for around 50K depending on what engine you use. Or you can spend 200k if you get an aluminum hand built kirkham 427.

The most popular builds are usually in the 80k range for a backdraft and closer to 100k for a superformance or ERA.

There are a lot of companies that do replicas but like anything, you get what you pay for. Some like those from ERA are nearly identical to the originals. Others deviate a bit. I have driven a few and there is nothing like cruising in a open top cobra.
$100k isn't bad for a special car like that. I'm hoping they don't depreciate too bad for not being an original car?

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had this conversation with my father the other day. If it were not for the influence of my wife and the need for a modern safe reliable car I would likely get a 1981 Land Cruiser FJ40 and a MkII Lotus 7. That pair would tick just about all the boxes for me at the same ballpark price of my spec'd Bronco.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$100k isn't bad for a special car like that. I'm hoping they don't depreciate too bad for not being an original car?
They actually hold their value pretty well. Especially if you do a quality build. The interesting thing is many guys buy them and don’t drive them very much. You either have to be a decent mechanic if you are going with an old school pushrod 427 or slap on EFI or put in a coyote. Lots of options. I will have one in the next couple of years. I plan to get a black bronco and a black cobra so I have matching pair

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I just went and looked at a Defender 110... Other than the roof/door removal it checks every box for me. It’s soul searching time.
Defender in person is eye opening. The only thing that concerns me is the width. People say you get used to it after a few drives. I’ve yet to drive it. Was going to today but after the Tacoma test and some errands I didn’t have time. I’m in no rush and curious to see how spring plays out for life in general, with economy, virus, and car market which was on fire in 2020.

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll probably be cross-shopping the 2022 Bronco against the 2022 Bronco.

If it needs to be a replacement for our current 2017 Explorer limited, it will need to be a 4-door 2.7 Auto with Mid Package or higher. The 5'3" wife would probably want the OBX.

If, on the other hand, we keep the Explorer and the Bronco can be my personal rig, it will be a 2-door, 2.3, 7MT. Base-Base unless a sack of cash unexpectedly drops from the Sky then would be Black Diamond 2.3/7MT/4A.

Jmh745

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 F-150, ‘20 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Defender in person is eye opening. The only thing that concerns me is the width. People say you get used to it after a few drives. I’ve yet to drive it. Was going to today but after the Tacoma test and some errands I didn’t have time. I’m in no rush and curious to see how spring plays out for life in general, with economy, virus, and car market which was on fire in 2020.
Yeah, it’s bigger than a wrangler but noticeably smaller than my Expedition and F-150... I drove the P400 and it was great. Much more rear legroom than a supercrew Ranger or a Unlimited Wrangler... The dealer says they have an open allocation for order at the end of January and 12-15 weeks for delivery. They don’t even want a deposit for ordering because they can’t keep them on the lot. Also, 2k of payload and 8K of towing... Literally, the only thing against it is non-removable roof/doors

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, it’s bigger than a wrangler but noticeably smaller than my Expedition and F-150... I drove the P400 and it was great. Much more rear legroom than a supercrew Ranger or a Unlimited Wrangler... The dealer says they have an open allocation for order at the end of January and 12-15 weeks for delivery. They don’t even want a deposit for ordering because they can’t keep them on the lot. Also, 2k of payload and 8K of towing... Literally, the only thing against it is non-removable roof/doors
P400s are selling well. The P300 not as much which is fine because I’m not trying to spend more than 55. I want an overland vehicle that is capable off-road and comfortable on road.

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mercedes GLC 63 AMG. Similar size to the 2 door bronco but with 4 doors and 503 HP. Was all set up last January to take European delivery this past September. When I realized in April that wasn't going to happen I canceled my order. Got on the Bronco band wagon late (this Oct) so I'll probably get a 2022. Can't wait to get my Bronco and save 30K vs the Merc.
The EQC Squared makes me unreasonably happy.....which is starting to feel like just as big of a dream as a Bronco at this point

Sponsored

BernR6

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Subaru Crosstrek. AWD with a stick is harder and harder to find. If only the XV wasn't so underpowered.
I always liked Subaru. The Crosstrek would be pretty cool to drive, especially with the 6sp manual and maybe some AT tires. Granted it won't be doing the type of off-roading the Bronco could do. You're right though, it's very underpowered. The manual only gets like 155hp or something. They put in the 2.4 into the Sport model. Has 182hp, but only with the CVT.

BernR6

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Forester
Crosstrek
Ranger XL Crew Cab 4x4
Tacoma TRD OffRoad 6sp manual
Colorado
New Frontier (maybe)

I guess I just really want a vehicle for outdoorsy stuff, road trips, etc. if I don't end up with a Bronco. The trucks would at least haul more. I like the Gladiator, but that's out. My wife recently drove next to a jeep on the highway and witnessed it in the middle of a death wobble. Freaked her out. I'm indecisive but wanted some options at least.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
P400s are selling well. The P300 not as much which is fine because I’m not trying to spend more than 55. I want an overland vehicle that is capable off-road and comfortable on road.
I would select the P300.

Last edited:

pineapple

Black Diamond
First Name
Cass
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm looking at a new Defender as well. Two neighbors have new ones and I really like them.

On the opposite end, I recently sold my Subaru WRX and have debated getting a Golf R and then something used and cheaper instead of a Bronco.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm looking at a new Defender as well. Two neighbors have new ones and I really like them.

On the opposite end, I recently sold my Subaru WRX and have debated getting a Golf R and then something used and cheaper instead of a Bronco.
THe only reservation I have with defender is that my price range would be mid 50s which puts me in the P300 category. That's a 2L turbo on a 5400 lb vehicle. Idk that just seems like a red flag for transmission issues down the road
Sponsored