Sponsored

What to do with the ugly gray hard top???

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who is going to be the guinea pig and try this on the MIC hardtop?

Sponsored

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who is going to be the guinea pig and try this on the MIC hardtop?

I don't think that will work because the flame will restore it to the original color which is Ugly Gray

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay so if I go with that gray top and it just does not do it for me what are my options...
Professionally Paint it
LineX
Flex paint white or black
Have it wrapped
Besides buying another top any other options??
The top is carbonized gray. Im thinking if I get carbonized paint body color the the whole thing will match.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll wait to see final prices before I decide, but I'll probably end up with some sort of aftermarket solution, or PlastiDip temporarily if it really grinds my gears. Not my biggest area of concern at the moment.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

-Plasti-Dip only as good as the first gouge that starts the peeling process.
-Wrap is good, but would pose an issue where it mates to the body with the friction/wear of taking it on and off. It would eventually wear/rip there first, more than likely. Probably not any cheaper than painting or doing a quality bedline material.
-Bedliner, whether it be Raptor or Line-X, is a decision that is permanent. Like someone else said above, once you go that route, there is no coming back. A new top would be cheaper than paying someone to try and strip all that off without damaging the surface. Pros: Durable and a tough off-road look. You can get the tintable and make it any color you want, but remember it is not UV resistant and will fade over time. Whatever you do, DO NOT use that cheap crap the auto parts places sell.
-Paint. Hard Tops look good in a quality Matte Black (Hot rod black).
I've painted several and Raptor-lined several.
I like the ease of care that the Matte Black carries, and it is still a smooth surface that looks good. Raptor gives it that rugged durable look, and is more durable than paint, no matter what the brand or type.
I charge about $500 to do a 2 door hard top in either medium, and $700-900 to do a 4 door hard top with the removable panels. All materials included.
That is leaving the inside the semi-gloss tan they come in. No overspray on the inside or anything stupid.
IF you are paying more than that, you are paying too much. And I know it depends on the region and market, but at that price a shop can still turn some decent profit and not bankrupt you in the process.
I tend to lean more on making some decent money and having a happy customer who refers other work to me (or is a repeat customer) than a one-shot "make a bunch of money" and the reputation out there be "Yeah, it's good work but it's expensive to get him to do it.".
FYI, take it for what it's worth. There are options that are less than the $1900 upgrade, but also add time to get it done, and money out of pocket vs, rolling it into the loan.
Each person's desire and situation are different.

DHC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not everyone is buying the Bronco for its open air experience. I really wish I didn’t have to deal with the removable-top concerns at all — a fixed roof would suit me just fine. The trails here are super dusty and half the time I don’t even roll my windows down when I’m driving two hours on the Alpine Loop to reach my mining claim.

And yes, the gray plastic top is hideous. Would love to see a painted option (black or body color) on the Base. I dig the old Land Rover vibes from the boxy Bronco and I want something more nimble than a midsize pickup.
Wait, you have a mining claim? I’m getting some odd visuals here ...

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait, you have a mining claim? I’m getting some odd visuals here ...

what's up with that car in the BG of your avatar?

• Haha
Reactions: DHC

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan to plastidip it white, with a satin finish. Should give a retro look and be easier to clean. I'll probably add dipcoat, too.

Edit: I'm doing the grille, too

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a crisp $100 bill for anyone not satisfied with their roof.
Sponsored