Sponsored

Best trim for a 2021 Bronco Overland Build?

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I wanted an "overlanding" Bronco I'd get a 4 door badlands with the 2.3 with an auto and no sasquatch.

I'd want to try to balance max space with fuel efficiency.
Are you getting the lux package?

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you getting the lux package?
Me personally? I don't care about overlanding so I'd like to get the badlands 2.7 w/ the 10-speed, sasquatch, lux, but no leather seats. I like the idea of the wash out interior and marine vinyl seats.

I'll also change the 35" MT tires to ATs for better on-time performance.

My comments were for ** IF I were to build a strictly overlanding rig, what would I go with **

So ** IF ** I did care about overlanding then yea, I stand by what I said and as others have mentioned, exactly for the balance of space and MPG.

4 door, 2.3, auto (autos these days are more fuel efficient than manuals are), no sasquatch (bigger tires also less fuel efficient).

But again, overlanding isn't a concern of mine. I was merely throwing in my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BoneyRoads

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on what type of overlander you are.

Base model for the real deal.

Badland for the poseurs who want you to see their roof top tent in the mall parking lot.

(I kid, I kid, please don't flame me too bad)
There is never a bad place to pitch a tent :)

OP
OP
Washbjj88

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you getting the 2.3 auto?
That’s what I’m thinking but I would like to see the MPG numbers before I decide. If the 2.7 is close and reasonable cost I would prefer the power.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel that a Badlands-Sasquatch (Four-Door) without any added tech options from the mid, high, and lux packages is the best combination when it comes to long term reliability, durability, and dependability for an off-road rig.

I feel that if you add tech from the mid, high, and lux packages that things may go wrong and it is the last thing that you want to happen when out in the middle of nowhere. I thought about the high package as well. However, I stick to the side of reliability. I can live without the parking and backup sensors. For me, I dont need added tech when off roading and as a daily driver.

I currently own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with minimal tech and with almost 200,000 miles. Of course you will have to add the auto transmission with the Sasquatch, so that the only "option."

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel that if you add tech from the mid, high, and lux packages that things may go wrong and it is the last thing that you want to happen when out in the middle of nowhere. I thought about the high package as well. However, I stick to the side of reliability. I can live without the parking and backup sensors.
I can appreciate the idea of not having tech because of poor ROI; however, reliability is something I personally haven't experienced with things such as backup cameras, homelink garage door openers nor touch screens. My concern regarding reliability has been more about the stress of the Sasquatch package on the drive train, reliability of the 2.7 ecoboost and relatively new 10 speed transmission.

Are the tech items something that will simply break or will they cause the vehicle to go into safe mode?

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my personal experience, it is not the camera, creature comfort tech that is an issue. It is all the tech that has some type of drive related sensors.

An example of a problem I have had is a steering wheel position sensor. It can be used for rear camera backup guidance lines. This went bad and caused check engine light to come. Didn’t cause a safe mode but could have. Trying to fix this sensor cause an air bag sensor to fail. It compounded problems and cost.

I can appreciate the idea of not having tech because of poor ROI; however, reliability is something I personally haven't experienced with things such as backup cameras, homelink garage door openers nor touch screens. My concern regarding reliability has been more about the stress of the Sasquatch package on the drive train, reliability of the 2.7 ecoboost and relatively new 10 speed transmission.

Are the tech items something that will simply break or will they cause the vehicle to go into safe mode?

Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my personal experience, it is not the camera, creature comfort tech that is an issue. It is all the tech that has some type of drive related sensors.

An example of a problem I have had is a steering wheel position sensor. It can be used for rear camera backup guidance lines. This went bad and caused check engine light to come. Didn’t cause a safe mode but could have. Trying to fix this sensor cause an air bag sensor to fail. It compounded problems and cost.
Do you plan to get a Base Bronco?

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you were to buy a Bronco as an overland rig, what trim will you get to build an overlanding setup? Badlands? Black Diamond? Other?
Please give justifications on why you chose a specific trim for overlanding.

Byrd-Burb

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban LT (Camper), 2017 Hyundai Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My $.02: (based on my current Suburban overland rig I'm running).

I would go with the base 4-door and upgrade everything as I go/need. Being an overland rig, I'm not looking at running off-road races, I'm not driving over rough terrain at full bore or anything crazy like that. I am strictly going from point A, to point B with all the sh*t crammed in the back of and on top of my rig.

That said, a little lift, vehicle mounted area lighting, a shower system and a power source (Generator for me) is all I need in addition to a base Suburban.

The Bronco already comes with the lift (more than the stock 'burb), so check mark there.

Lighting and shower system can be added to any model, and none of them really change that, with the exception of the overhead accessory rockers that some trims have.

So, in conclusion, a base 4-door with maybe the Sasquatch package, would be all I need for a purpose build overland rig.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I plan on getting a 4 door base. Adding Sasquatch and 2.7. If this puts me close to another trim level I will reevaluate.
Interesting.... that set up ($41,800?) still beats a Black Diamond 4door "base" ($38,545) considering all the features (46K? for squatch and auto6 ) and looks a 4cyl/manual Badlands right in the eye at ($44,500).

Imagine if they allow a manual Squatch ....BaseManSquatch $33500(2dr) or $38500(4dr).

....guess I never really looked at the numbers quite like that.

Your set up is A LOT of offroad badassery for that price! Only thing I think I'd miss is heated seats in the fall topless season!
Sponsored