Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think we gave it a fair review! As a multiple Wrangler owner I personally was very impressed overall.
The son and russian guy are able to give fair reviews. Roman is not.
I appreciate the kind words! At the end of the day we are all big car and truck fans and are super excited about anything car and truck related. Unfortunately in the last few years specifically the YouTube landscape is now riddled with paid promotion by automakers. Some publications and Youtubers disclose it, many don't. We've been offered the chance to make commercials and receive payment from the OEMs but we've always turned it down. I know our videos aren't for everyone and there is room to improve but we do the best we can.
Pretty sure Roman's opinion of the Defender was colored by what essentially was a paid promotion/bribe. You guys were bribed by a massive upgrade in your third Defender after the first one's engine failed in the first 300 miles, and the second one failed when the dealership attempted to install a winch. You started off with a base Defender and then ended up making 30K off the deal from the free upgraded Defender you ended up with, so I wouldn't be calling out other channels for being "riddled with paid promotion".
Sponsored

Last edited:

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like all the TFL guys, their videos are all mostly pretty good. I'm not aware of anyone else doing the real world towing test comparisons over that highway in Colorado.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Pretty sure Roman's opinion of the Defender was colored by what essentially was a paid promotion/bribe. You guys were bribed by a massive upgrade in your third Defender after the first one's engine failed in the first 300 miles, and the second one failed when the dealership attempted to install a wench. You started off with a base Defender and then ended up making 30K off the deal from the free upgraded Defender you ended up with, so I wouldn't be calling out other channels for being "riddled with paid promotion".
“Bribed”? Strong word, and not the one I’d use, having watched all those Defender videos. Land Rover came off looking like a clown show from that sorry sequence of events, so not sure what the company got in exchange for the “bribe” they paid. TFL is a solid source in my opinion, way more informative than 90 percent of what I read on any car forum, including this one.

Uintafly

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Pretty sure Roman's opinion of the Defender was colored by what essentially was a paid promotion/bribe. You guys were bribed by a massive upgrade in your third Defender after the first one's engine failed in the first 300 miles, and the second one failed when the dealership attempted to install a wench. You started off with a base Defender and then ended up making 30K off the deal from the free upgraded Defender you ended up with, so I wouldn't be calling out other channels for being "riddled with paid promotion".
I’d like to put an order in for one of those wenches.

Lashedup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s a serious question for you:

If you could magically wind back the clock to the day in 2020 that you received the leaked Bronco photos weeks before the official reveal, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, would you do the same thing again? If not, what would you do differently, and why?

I’m genuinely curious about what you learned from the experience.

Thanks.
As someone that has worked in the automotive PR world, Ford’s handling of this with TFL was petty and shortsighted. Usually a simple phone call to an outlet to express your displeasure is all that is necessary. Let’s them know people were unhappy on your end, scares them a bit, and keeps the relationship intact.

Spy photos and leaks have been a part of the automotive media landscape for decades. They have become so frequent now with the Internet and cell phones that it truly is a losing battle. Mike Levine at Ford has worked on both sides of that fence and knows it well.

Sponsored

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

It’s not like they took the content down or sugar coated their experience. On this forum alone, you’ll find dozens of posts citing TFL’s journey with the Defender as being a prime example of Land Rover’s poor quality control. Not just here, but everywhere.

Personally, I get their approach to the Defender. It’s a car that most people want to love and lot’s of people will go to great pains to own one because they are that nice. I thought their assessment of the situation was spot on and it certainly didn’t help Land Rover. They key takeaway being that these incidents could happen to any potential buyer without the expansive recourses available to TFL sure as hell made me pause.

Last edited:

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tomorrow there will apparently be a base available but that one is a Sasquatch
TFLTruck if you could review the Base Sasquatch and go over the features I will be forever in debt. For instance does it have Trail Turn Assist? Using Ford Pass App what features can the Base take advantage of (like remote start?) etc......... Thanks in advance for considering my request!!! Kevin.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As someone that has worked in the automotive PR world, Ford’s handling of this with TFL was petty and shortsighted. Usually a simple phone call to an outlet to express your displeasure is all that is necessary. Let’s them know people were unhappy on your end, scares them a bit, and keeps the relationship intact.
I like your thinking.....

EVERYONE gets a participation trophy!

Or shall we just change it to, give them a slap on the wrist, that'll learn them!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same...WTF is TFL?
TFL runs a series of YouTube channels as well as a website dedicated to reviewing cars, trucks, etc.They seem to have a big budget.

Their geographic home base is is Colorado. They test towing ability by climbing some huge ass mountain passes. They run the electric cars on a similar route to torture test the battery capacity.

I find their content to be very informative.

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

TFL runs a series of YouTube channels as well as a website dedicated to reviewing cars, trucks, etc.They seem to have a big budget.

Their geographic home base is is Colorado. They test towing ability by climbing some huge ass mountain passes. They run the electric cars on a similar route to torture test the battery capacity.

I find their content to be very informative.
Thanks! I have been picking some of that up. When this was initially posted there were no videos or other description and I had not heard of TFL so was a bit confused and what I had been 'waiting' for! 🤣

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed, he's incapable of objectivity. His absurd devotion to Jeep and Range Rover completely clouds everything he says. Thankfully his son is extremely objective and appears to be the one doing this week's videos.
I think a bit of it is a setup for conversation like on home hunter shows - but I agree, I really like the son’s commentary.

and a huge shout out to Andrej - the dude from Eastern Europe (am I right?). I find his commentary to be very even handed and presented as a guy who cares about getting it correct without staking out a position beforehand.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.