Sponsored

What will Ford do about V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392?

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What would Ford do?
The Bronco Raptor will be here.
Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford isn’t going to do shit and why should they? The 2.7L twin turbo is plenty powerful at an affordable price. I can see them maybe dropping in the 3.5 high output some day in a “raptor” model bronco and jeep will never be able to compete with that motor even with their hemi.

If you want an NA v8 stick shift then buy a Shelby GT350. That’s my plan to satisfy my v8/manual itch. When I drive a stick I want to move through those gears and drive the shit out of it, not crawl in 1 gear. When I rev a V8 I want to be screaming down the highway, not spinning tires off road.... but that’s just me.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I honestly get an image of Jeep wrapped around electrical poles, traffic lights, off in a ditch and/or on its side/roof. Not knocking anything other than it is probably WAY too much power for something with the higher center of gravity and short (2door) to short-ish (4door) wheelbase.

Yeah, it does sound cool and I can see it being awesome to power thru some things on a trail...but the average driver...eek
No way they are going to put that in the 2 door. It will be a 4 door only option if it even makes it to production.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Upgrade exhaust and turbos on the 2.7 gets you over 500/500. Ford has it covered.

hammerdown

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVID
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford 150 Screw
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If anyone seriously thinks at some point Ford wont shoehorn a 5.0 Coyote in the Bronco they are naive .... SVT will eventually put out a model.

I give 3 model years... tops.

Sponsored

RadMan24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford isn’t going to do shit and why should they? The 2.7L twin turbo is plenty powerful at an affordable price. I can see them maybe dropping in the 3.5 high output some day in a “raptor” model bronco and jeep will never be able to compete with that motor even with their hemi.

If you want an NA v8 stick shift then buy a Shelby GT350. That’s my plan to satisfy my v8/manual itch. When I drive a stick I want to move through those gears and drive the shit out of it, not crawl in 1 gear. When I rev a V8 I want to be screaming down the highway, not spinning tires off road.... but that’s just me.
Let's not get carried away, a turbo-charged V6 is exactly why the Raptor is about to get its cake eaten by the TRX. Jeep and Ram are throwing V8's at turbo V6s. Ford will inherently be forced to use V8s if they want to keep up with the muscle.

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata, Focus ST, GMC Sierra beater truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
SVT will eventually put out a model.
SVT doesn't exist any more. Near as I can tell it really hasn't since 2006, the last vehicle credited to them was the first gen Raptor but I don't remember seeing SVT badges on them.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SVT doesn't exist any more. Near as I can tell it really hasn't since 2006, the last vehicle credited to them was the first gen Raptor but I don't remember seeing SVT badges on them.
i mean, i think there was an option for svt badges. added 25 hp

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's not get carried away, a turbo-charged V6 is exactly why the Raptor is about to get its cake eaten by the TRX. Jeep and Ram are throwing V8's at turbo V6s. Ford will inherently be forced to use V8s if they want to keep up with the muscle.
That's interesting. Ford only has one V8 that could meet the Mopar numbers. That is the 7.3L Godzilla. It is big, heavy (135 lbs. more than the Coyote I think) takes some work (cam, head work, maybe more compression) to get to 550HP type numbers (naturally aspirated, which is cool). On the flip side, the 2.7 can easily get into the mid 450 HP/Torque range and as many have noted, the 3.0EB and or hybrid options are well north of that. The Coyote is not a great truck motor and would take way more work to be a good competitor to the big Hemi in a truck. They won't bother with crazy HP options until later model years when they want to stretch the current model a year or two with special models IMO.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's interesting. Ford only has one V8 that could meet the Mopar numbers. That is the 7.3L Godzilla. It is big, heavy (135 lbs. more than the Coyote I think) takes some work (cam, head work, maybe more compression) to get to 550HP type numbers (naturally aspirated, which is cool). On the flip side, the 2.7 can easily get into the mid 450 HP/Torque range and as many have noted, the 3.0EB and or hybrid options are well north of that. The Coyote is not a great truck motor and would take way more work to be a good competitor to the big Hemi in a truck. They won't bother with crazy HP options until later model years when they want to stretch the current model a year or two with special models IMO.
they also have 5.2 voodoo

Sponsored

hammerdown

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVID
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford 150 Screw
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well... SVT comes and goes at the whim of Ford. SVT comes and goes faster than interns did during the Clinton administration... lol

Raptor and GT500 are SVT vehicles...

They can be brought back.

Question is simple:

Do Bronco buyers want a V8 option? If yes, i coud see SVT coming out of mothballs again ..

Bottom line:

Ford is directly competing with Jeep. They wanted a piece of the Jeep pie. If they want to stay in the fight, a V8 Bronco will have to be made unless they want Jeep to outdo them with a 392 Rubi...

Itll happen.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

they also have 5.2 voodoo
Which is a very cool motor, but not what most would consider a good motor for a truck, making peak power at 7500RPM. They are also hand built and would likely not be able to compete cost wise.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford won’t have to do much cause the average American won’t be able to afford a v8 wrangler the current wrangler overpriced if you asked me

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have slowly learned....None of the parts people are marketing fix that terrible steering. its the reason why I am leaving my JL behind
It exists ...

The basic fix (Synergy):

If you really want to throw money at it (PSC):

Sponsored