Sponsored

What Will You Buy That Tows More Than 3500, Instead?

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From my understanding, just from threads on 6G, you can’t have both; an off-roader and a great towing vehicle. I’d be lying if I tried to explain why but there was a large thread on it. I was expecting more than 3500lbs as well, but it is what it is. I’ll just have to be cautious when I plan on towing in my Wildtrak.
Quick explanation to why. A good tow rig has a long wheelbase, and stiff suspension to keep the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle around. Dont want the tail to wag the dog.
For offroading you want soft suspension to get good articulation even when wheels are relatively unloaded. Also just makes for a nicer ride off road. Wheel base for offroad depends a bit, some obstacles favor a long wheelbase but for the most, shorter is better. Being a wrangler competitor, the bronco has to be short.

Why Ford is limiting all models to 3500lbs? I assume it has to do with $$. No point in testing every configuration to find the max tow rating for each one. Hook em all up to 3500, run the test, pass, advertise that. Certainly a base model 4 door can tow more than a 2 door with the sas package.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My f150 is almost as large except a bit shorter in the bed, but I may find out because if I order a new truck, it'll be a F350 tremor that I'll be buying for its offroad capability along with towing capacity.
I have a SCREW 6.5. dont get me wrong its bad ass but I dont live in big open areas terrain all of our stuff around here is smaller. its more turning radius than anything and the space it needs.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a SCREW 6.5. dont get me wrong its bad ass but I dont live in big open areas terrain all of our stuff around here is smaller. its more turning radius than anything and the space it needs.
Understand. Not sure how it gets any tighter turning radius than running Black Bear Pass out here w/ a super crew on a high mountain shelf road :LOL:

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been wanting a fun SUV with a tow rating of 5K or better. Was hoping (and expecting) the Bronco to provide this. Back to the drawing board.

Considering the V6 (ugh) Jeep truck or the '21 Durango SRT. Part of me feels like the Jeep/Bronco climate will be much better for the consumer in a few years . . .
Seems Ford can get the tow rating up with some work. I don't have to buy anything to top the 2021 Bronco for tow rating. 2008 V8 4Runner is a twelve year older design with a weaker engine and still doubles the tow capacity of the 2021 Bronco (as it is now).

Bronco can be the most badass all around SUV ever produced at a reasonable cost but they have to get the tow capacity up. ClassII hitch is shit. ClassII hitch is ridiculous when you start with a Ranger frame and a pair of turbo engines.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With the Bronco's tow rating being so low, I'm now onto another Ford waiting game.
The Ranger Raptor.

I was going to forego offroad ability and switch to luxury SUV, but since getting my current Ranger, I really enjoy having a mid-size truck.

If the Ranger Raptor doesn't materialize within the next couple of years, I'll grab the 1st mid-size pickup that comes out with a decent interior and the same options as full-size.
The mid-size P/U market is the only vehicle segment that every manufacturer dumbs down. Like my Ranger has partial power seats and no memory. Why?

For now, I keep checking for any updates on the new Nissan Frontier, the Ram Dakota and the next gen Ranger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm strongly leaning towards a manual Taco. Always manual. I'd love a TRD Pro but they are ridiculously expensive and very hard to find, so would likely end up with a TRD Sport.

Would have to be a 2021 though - for some reason 2020 and older Canadian Tacos have a really low max payload that is less than the difference between GVWR and curb weight. I have wifey, two kids, and a dog to load in when towing our trailer so the artificially lower max payload really killed the available tongue weight. Thankfully this seems to have been rectified for 2021 if the Toyota website is correct.

jaekim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 ZHP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Toyota 4Runner.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If I need to tow I have my 6.2 F150 or V10 Excursion, more than enough for me.

TJ Freestone

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been wanting a fun SUV with a tow rating of 5K or better. Was hoping (and expecting) the Bronco to provide this. Back to the drawing board.

Considering the V6 (ugh) Jeep truck or the '21 Durango SRT. Part of me feels like the Jeep/Bronco climate will be much better for the consumer in a few years . . .
Every thing is a compromise. I would not want a Bronco that could tow more for the other qualities that I would have to give up. It has always been look at your personal needs and make your decisions. You may have to wait for different versions of Bronco or Maverik to come out.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ford Bronco What Will You Buy That Tows More Than 3500, Instead? F38C7F82-6399-489B-BA0B-F1CD0DFF1AD5

Sold my Truck to buy my Bronco, so now I have to borrow my wife’s RAM 2500 or my Father-in-law’s Super Duty.

(Which is also why I didn’t sweat selling my truck)

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If I need to tow I have my 6.2 F150 or V10 Excursion, more than enough for me.
Thats nice, but for many people this is about towing their boat or travel trailer to the places that they specifically bought their Bronco to go. Otherwise they're driving two vehicles there, which can get silly. No one here is asking for V10 levels of towing.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if the shit show Bronco release goes down the toilet any more, I will be buying a Ranger Tremor. I just want to downsize, I have a F150, tows a house, but its too big for any trail stuff.
Exactly. I would prefer the Bronco for lots of reasons, but the reasonable towing capacity and bed make the Ranger compelling. My F150 is sitting outside right now, loaded up from Weeknd cabin duty. Nowhere near capacity, Ranger (or the Bronco, minus the bed) would do the job. I have had F150s for seven years and the size and turning radius is just a bit tiring. My Bronco and Bronco IIs has the same towing at the 2021. Hate to pass for the few times a year I tow 5k lbs. but that, the better pricing on the Ranger and the utility of the bed make the choice more difficult. Now if I lived back in a warm climate, the top off experience would weight higher for the Bronco, so it’s all individual obviously.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Camper, cargo trailer, maybe my boat for short distances. Primarily wanting tow capacity for the loader cargo trailer, a tall 7 x 14 weighing 4440 loaded.

Not a huge deal; I'll buy something else. Ford won't miss me in the least. Just surprised by the 3500, and curious about others in a similar situation.
I am just going to tow a 4400 lb boat and braked trailer with a vehicle that has a 3500 lb capacity like I already do.

Also look at the 4Runner a used FJ and if you have money and don’t mind reliability issues a Defender. And
Sponsored