Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot of wishful thinking in here. 3500 tow rating is what you should expect. That's the same as the Wrangler. It can't tow as much as a Ranger....The suspension is softer.
Closer to base 4 door with adj shocks, and no "monster" tires should tow more than an Escape. Should at least be able to tow it's own curb weight, IMO, and I think that would be plenty safe. Limit speed to 70-75 when towing if they have to
Sponsored

Last edited:

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i thought towing was rated at 5000lbs? My Volvo XC60 does 5000lbs (actually just over). Something seems off with a 3500lbs rating.

my wife and i are looking to get a small trailer in the next few years to travel across Canada and may dip into the states too. 3500lbs TC just seems like they don't expect the Bronco to be this strong all terrain 4x4.

TriTipEater

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can someone give me a towing education? Iā€™ve never towed before.
I have my heart set on a new bronco. My wife has her heart set on a pop up tent trailer. Iā€™m hoping to make both happen. Most pop ups seem to be between 2k-3k lbs dry weight. I just have no clue how close I can/should get to max tow capacity. Does the bronco seem reasonable for a pop up camper? Will the Sasquatch package hinder the towing capacity? Is there a chance the specs will be higher than 3,500 tow capacity, or is that gonna stick?

stueyd

Black Diamond
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Should pair perfect with my 2500 pound Boston Whaler.

IMG_3435.jpg

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have my heart set on a new bronco. My wife has her heart set on a pop up tent trailer. Iā€™m hoping to make both happen. Most pop ups seem to be between 2k-3k lbs dry weight. I just have no clue how close I can/should get to max tow capacity. Does the bronco seem reasonable for a pop up camper? Will the Sasquatch package hinder the towing capacity? Is there a chance the specs will be higher than 3,500 tow capacity, or is that gonna stick?
Ford confirmed today, max tow is 3500lbs. My camper weighs 2300lbs dry, by the time you add in our gear, 40lbs fresh water, food, propane, and any after market goodies I installed, Im sitting at 3395lbs. Looks like Iā€™ll be more conservative as to what I leave packed in the camper.

now I wonder though, does the dry weight include my 33ā€ MT tires plus full spare that were installed from the factory?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's not just tow rating that matters. How you drive and especially highway speeds plays a lot in it.
If you plan on towing @ 75, you need to stick much closer to the vest. Trailer length, side draft (wind) and stiffness also play huge into it.

My homemade deckover (16', 10K) uses 12", 1/4 wall C-channel for main "stringers" and it is so stiff, you can tow heavy @ rediculous speeds (I tow @ 68 MPH typically, but mainly for economy, as above 70 my Cummins starts an extra injection event). My 26 foot alum trailer, rated for 14K, still flexes a decent amount, and is not quite as happy at higher speeds.

The 4 door will also tow better, all else equal. Just the fact it weighs more and the extra wheelbase will help a lot. But in answer to your question. If Ford rates it for 3500, you can tow right at that limit doing almost anything, as the manufacturers usually rate fairly conservatively, as they know many will go over.

Spudly

First Edition
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, Gladiator Overland, RX350
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A dingy based on that tow rating... because it canā€™t tow my 22ā€™ Cobalt.

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds...
Ford Bronco What will your Bronco be towing? 20190105_150221

Michael 1973

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
2017 Nitro Z18 ,single console ,tandem trailer ā€˜ surge breaks. Nitro says package weight 3200lbs . Iā€™m hoping after market hitch will become available. I plan on ordering Base with Sasquatch pkg I have a base reserved. Would like to use it to tow my boat a lot . I tow now with 2016F150 2.7 and it does excellent. Not a deal breaker just hoping .

Sponsored

Bemcnamara

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F56S MINI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in the process of building an overlanding trailer. I am setting it up to haul 3, 4 kayaks, 1 SUP, RTT, storages utility boxes and an enduro.

phnttom

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Audi TTS, '13 Fiat 500 Turbo, '15 VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

We will be getting a new 5x8, semi-custom teardrop trailer. Chassis will be built to spec in Edmonton, AB by Treadhead Garage (an overland / 4x4 shop) and the habitat by Northern Teardrop in Salmo, BC. From there I will be doing my own custom galley.

Here are few pictures of a similar concept by those two companies. Mine will have some additional changes to my spec.

My Specs:
- underfloor storage
- 35" tires with bolt pattern to match Bronco w/ Timbren suspension
- custom flares with steps
- slightly longer tongue at the front for box
- removable rear leveling jacks

Ford Bronco What will your Bronco be towing? IMG_1416

Ford Bronco What will your Bronco be towing? IMG_1420

Ford Bronco What will your Bronco be towing? IMG_1417

Last edited: