Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

MattECDNdealer

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Demo: 21 Bronco BL (2dr 2.3 MT) Toy: 04 TJ Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford doesn't publish temporary numbers. Especially a safety related number.
Actually they have published "targeted" or "at least" figures before on pre-launch vehicles with regards to horsepower, tow ratings etc., although usually they use the quoted words with that figure.

Likely the largest factor limiting the tow rating of the Bronco is the lack of a rear sway bar. Most vehicles being mentioned with higher tow ratings are either IRS (much lower roll axis than a solid axle, sway bar not needed), leaf sprung straight axle, or a coil sprung rear axle with a sway bar.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think coil spring inserts might work to boost the towing for short distance yet not diminish the Bronco's capabilities to much.
Yeah - this is where I am at. How do I modify the Bronco to where I am comfortable pulling my boat over medium distances?

How doairspring helpers work though when the rear suspension rises on coilovers? The is a shock in the middle of the spring.

Maybe adjustable coilovers? Set them stiffer for towing and softer for articulation?

Will have to look at bigger brakes maybe too, and hopefully someone comes out with a class iii receiver aftermarket.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How about a bass boat and trailer? Anybody do any bass fishing that could shine some light? Maybe close to 2,400-2,500lb? Bronco should be fine?
I would tow 3500lbs in a heartbeat. When looking at US vs European and Australian tow ratings for the same vehicle, US ratings seem to be very conservative. Would be good to have surge brakes on the trailer to be sure.

It would also be good to know what the Australian or European braked tow specifications are for the Bronco 2 and 4dr before ordering.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually they have published "targeted" or "at least" figures before on pre-launch vehicles with regards to horsepower, tow ratings etc., although usually they use the quoted words with that figure.

Likely the largest factor limiting the tow rating of the Bronco is the lack of a rear sway bar. Most vehicles being mentioned with higher tow ratings are either IRS (much lower roll axis than a solid axle, sway bar not needed), leaf sprung straight axle, or a coil sprung rear axle with a sway bar.
Good points. I just keep thinking with the 4-dr and the 2.7l Ford should be able to get the tow capacity to 5000lbs. You slap a 400tq engine in an SUV you should plan on it being able to tow 5000lbs. Aftermarket can achieve that with a ClassIII hitch and HD coils easily. We'll see what happens.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But my 2014 Escape has a 3,500 lb tow rating. So, the Bronco adds nothing here.

I think the point many (many) people are trying to make is that 3,500 lbs is clearly a preliminary number, and while it may end up being the final number, at this point, it seems very arbitrary, given the data points:
  • The Bronco is based on the Ranger. The Ranger with the same 10-speed auto and 2.3 motor has a 7,700 lb max tow rating.
  • The tow rating for the 2-door and 4-door models is the same
  • The tow rating for the 2.3 and 2.7 motors is the same
So, clearly the powertrain is not part of the equation. And given the Bronco is sharing the Ranger's chassis, that doesn't seem to be part of it, either. (Knowing the heavy off-road use intended for the Bronco, who believes Ford would make Bronco's chassis any weaker than Rangers?) If the Bronco had the same components in its tow package as the Ranger does, the issue becomes almost just a matter of suspension and wheelbase. Yet a 5,000 lb rating would still be well short of Ranger's (more than 50% higher).

I get it. There are factors involved that those of us not on the Bronco's engineering team don't get. I don't mind if the Bronco's tow rating is truly limited by engineering issues. I just don't want it limited by lawyering. While some say it "could be a lot worse", others are saying it "could be better."
Bingo. This exactly.

And if there are some engineering issues involved with achieving a higher tow rating on this vehicle then can they be solved in a max tow package that sacrifices some of its off-road prowess in return? An optional package that can be added only by those who are willing to make that sacrifice, while not affecting those who are not?

Sponsored

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think you hit the nail on the head, you can tow more but now you are liable for any accidents since insurance would be void above 3500#s.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you hit the nail on the head, you can tow more but now you are liable for any accidents since insurance would be void above 3500#s.
When I blew a tire on my penske car hauler/trailer rental and had to call them for someone to come out and change the tire in the middle of BFE Kansas, I unloaded my wrangler with its oversize tires before the guy arrived as I didnt want issues knowing the paperwork clearly stated “not to be used for oversized tire vehicles”.

Double IPA

Wildtrak
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan, 2002 RS Warrrior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

5k feels like the right number to me given the build, gvwr of the 4 door and the 2.7l. Understood that these are all prelim stats by Ford but also strange that engine selection and 2/4 door options don't change the rating... would be nice if optional Towing "Package" ultimately includes more than just hitch and wiring. I.e. sway bar, air bags or coil springs needed to get the higher rating. Guess we'll see but either way I'm good. 3500lbs is more than enough for a small pop-up camper, trip to the home depot with harbor freight trailer or my two bikes... but more is always better ;)

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Jeff.....there is absolutely no warranty in your insurance policy that voids coverage for exceeding your tow rating. The state’s insurance code and financial responsibility law would also be applicable here. The insurance carrier might not like your lack of responsibility in exceeding that rating and they might never become aware of it either. Regardless, the carrier would have to pay for your legal responsibility should an accident occur. Just make sure your liability limits are high and possibly carry a Personal Umbrella policy if you have income and assets to protect.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeff.....there is absolutely no warranty in your insurance policy that voids coverage for exceeding your tow rating. The state’s insurance code and financial responsibility law would also be applicable here. The insurance carrier might not like your lack of responsibility in exceeding that rating and they might never become aware of it either. Regardless, the carrier would have to pay for your legal responsibility should an accident occur. Just make sure your liability limits are high and possibly carry a Personal Umbrella policy if you have income and assets to protect.
No disrespect intended, as that may be true, but do you really want to go to court to prove it? If it's just a little fender bender, then the trailer weight probably wouldn't even come up. But what if the damage is excessive or someone gets injured. Then the insurance company will be looking for ways out and and if you're using the vehicle beyond the recommended safe limits that are set by the manufacturer, then you can be sure the insurance company will try to use that against you. It's possible they wouldn't be successful, but it could tie you up in court for quite some time.
In my younger days (I'm now old and wrinkly) I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I'd have put a better hitch on it and towed my 5000lb boat, but now I don't think it's worth the risk.

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FWIW, an 8-passenger mini-van can tow 3600 pounds.
Ford Bronco What would be a realistic towing capacity? pacifica towi

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is a liability factor to it. You can be ticketed/fined for negligence for improper load carrying in most places(which insurance won’t pay for), and could found at fault for the accident even if it wouldn’t have been your fault otherwise. So while that might not get your insurance company out of paying for the accident, it’ll def increase your rates or they could drop you after if they so choose. And it opens you up for a civil case that could be more than what insurance covers you for if another party is severely injured. Even if you modify a vehicle to make it more capable, it can still have the same outcome because whatever you do doesn’t change the rated tow capacity for it. So sure you might never have a problem with it, but is it worth the risk that someone else on the road might cause an accident and you get all the blame because you’re negligently towing over capacity

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of the insurance and liability discussions are interesting. I have commented on this before. I have been involved in Insurance for more than 25 years. I do not know every policy or every law, but there is typically not an exclusion for exceeding a manufacturer towing limit. It’s also unlikely a company could or would cancel your policy because you did. If it was deeemed that your actions exceeding the tow rating contributed to or caused an accident resulting in injury or property damage, it would open you up to liability and potentially more liability than if you had not exceeded those ratings. The most likely scenario is that the manufacturers involved in the vehicle, trailer, tires and brakes would avoid or deny liability based on your exceeding those limits. Local law and ordinance is not the same issue. I am sure there are literally hundreds of ways you could violate the law or an ordinance exceeding a manufacturer tow rating. Same things holds for aftermarket lights, oversized tires, over wide axles or other modifications. The government sees fit to regulate the use of its roads and lots of different jurisdictions make lots of different regulations. To one of the other posters, maintain high liability and property damage limits ($300k injury and $50k property damage is minimum in my opinion) and probably should add an umbrella of $1M or more. Not only adds more $, it often covers gaps your auto and homeowners insurance could have for unique liability losses. Just my informed opinion.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All of the insurance and liability discussions are interesting. I have commented on this before. I have been involved in Insurance for more than 25 years. I do not know every policy or every law, but there is typically not an exclusion for exceeding a manufacturer towing limit. It’s also unlikely a company could or would cancel your policy because you did. If it was deeemed that your actions exceeding the tow rating contributed to or caused an accident resulting in injury or property damage, it would open you up to liability and potentially more liability than if you had not exceeded those ratings. The most likely scenario is that the manufacturers involved in the vehicle, trailer, tires and brakes would avoid or deny liability based on your exceeding those limits. Local law and ordinance is not the same issue. I am sure there are literally hundreds of ways you could violate the law or an ordinance exceeding a manufacturer tow rating. Same things holds for aftermarket lights, oversized tires, over wide axles or other modifications. The government sees fit to regulate the use of its roads and lots of different jurisdictions make lots of different regulations. To one of the other posters, maintain high liability and property damage limits ($300k injury and $50k property damage is minimum in my opinion) and probably should add an umbrella of $1M or more. Not only adds more $, it often covers gaps your auto and homeowners insurance could have for unique liability losses. Just my informed opinion.
Few years ago had a close friend who’s insurance company cancelled his policy after an accident he wasn’t even at fault for with nothing else on his driving record. So while I wouldn’t say it’s the norm I def wouldn’t put it past some insurance companys to cancel if it’s found you were towing over the rated capacity of your vehicle. Had a real headache after that because they canceled with no prior warning and by the time he got a new insurance policy at a different company the state had canceled his car registration for not having insurance, and he almost got a ticket for no registration and no insurance because of it.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There may be more to that story. Typically a carrier cannot cancel for no reason and no notice. Non payment? Yep! Material misrepresentation on an application yep! No reason, no notice? No place I have ever done business.
Sponsored