Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I admittedly do not tow currently. I am considering a small camping trailer after I get a Bronco, so what would be a realistic towIng capacity for a smaller vehicle like the Bronco?

With more and more vehicles being small SUVs and crossovers, I’d expect them to tow more than commuter cars. Which, if I understand it correctly, is about 2,000lbs. If the Bronco were able to double that, to 4,000lbs, would that be suitable?

For those truly looking for off-road capability from their Bronco, I wouldn’t expect to tow a boat. I would expect something like the Airstream Basecamp (16ft) since it’s living space is comparable to the size of a 2 door....but it weights 2,700~ with a max load of 3,500...doesn’t leave much for what’s getting put in it. Yes there are smaller trailer options...but I looked at this one because of those numbers.
Sponsored

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

3500 tow, approx 1300 payload for Bronco. The airstream basecamp would be fine

OP
OP
BigLig

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3500 tow, approx 1300 payload for Bronco. The airstream basecamp would be fine
I know that is what it can do. A lot of folks complain it‘s not enough, so I’m wondering what is enough realistically.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know that is what it can do. A lot of folks complain it‘s not enough, so I’m wondering what is enough realistically.
For some people, it’s never enough. They want their off-road vehicle to tow a house.

Ford Bronco What would be a realistic towing capacity? 1596920671250

OP
OP
BigLig

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For some people, it’s never enough. They want their off-road vehicle to tow a house.

Ford Bronco What would be a realistic towing capacity? 1596920671250
Right? A bit unrealistic if you ask me. I do feel 4,000lbs is realistic. Mostly because I don’t want to max my limits lol

Sponsored

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

too many unknowns currently, i think the tow rating is conservative based on known powertrain specs but you should stay within towing specs to be safe. Are the brakes sufficient, will the shorter wheelbase be unstable towing heavy loads etc.

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It would be a dream if it could tow my two horse trailer, but I guess I can just dangle the lead rope out the windows and the horses can run alongside. Like a herd of real and namesake Broncos ???, just like the commercial

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Towing is about stability, Long wheel base good, short rear overhang good. Low ground clearance with stiff suspension good. So a 4 door bronco, leave the squatch package off the order if you plan to tow at the upper limits of the capacity.
You DO NOT want the tail to wag the dog. You will need fresh underwear after that experience.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep sold 240,000+ Wranglers last year, and they are the main competitor...knowing that people don’t buy this as a towing vehicle, matching them In capacity is fine.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Folks just like to complain. If they really cared about towing 3500lbs they'd get a truck. The percentage of trucks that two is small. The percentage of Broncos that tow, I imagine, will be even lower. No need to carry to the vocal minority crying about more capacity.

Honestly you'd be fine with the Basecamp. Does it have trailer brakes? If not I'd add them.

My Escape is rated for 1500lbs of towing. My trailer with gear is right on the limit. I added trailer brakes (Real brakes. With controller) and a transmission cooler. No issues. I'm not recommending overloading but the exact same Escape outside of North America is rated for more towing capacity. Plus the added safety of the brakes and trans cooler I feel totally fine with it. I do only pull a 13ft camper but the Escape isn't that big itself.

Anecodtal but I've towed with my Escape at least 30,000km with no issues.

Seeing as how the 2D, 4D, 2.3L, and 2.7L all are rated the same leads me to believe that there is a large safety built in. It doesn't make sense that they are all only rated to 3500.

Always be cautious, use judgment, and common sense, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull at 3500lbs+ to a point.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Folks just like to complain. If they really cared about towing 3500lbs they'd get a truck. The percentage of trucks that two is small. The percentage of Broncos that tow, I imagine, will be even lower. No need to carry to the vocal minority crying about more capacity.

Honestly you'd be fine with the Basecamp. Does it have trailer brakes? If not I'd add them.

My Escape is rated for 1500lbs of towing. My trailer with gear is right on the limit. I added trailer brakes (Real brakes. With controller) and a transmission cooler. No issues. I'm not recommending overloading but the exact same Escape outside of North America is rated for more towing capacity. Plus the added safety of the brakes and trans cooler I feel totally fine with it. I do only pull a 13ft camper but the Escape isn't that big itself.

Seeing as how the 2D, 4D, 2.3L, and 2.7L all are rated the same leads me to believe that there is a large safety built in. It doesn't make sense that they are all only rated to 3500.

Always be cautious, use judgment, and common sense, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull at 3500lbs+ to a point.
Not everybody needs the truck capabilities. And as you said, 3500 across the board seems to just be playing it safe. That’s what people are upset about. Even the wrangler has a 1500lb difference between 2dr and 4dr all else the same. Longer wheelbase means better stability all else equal. So why can’t the 4dr bronco have a 1500lb increase in towing over the 2dr? That’s all most are asking for, a 5000lb rating at least. That doesn’t seem unrealistic at all, and def doesn’t take a trucks capability. And that’s without changing anything else as it already has a longer wheelbase advantage over the two door. Of course there’s people that would like more than that, and adding things like a rear sway bar or stiffer springs could easily get that too, but then yes you are going to take a small hit in off-road capability. But if those additions are only in an optional tow package then it wouldn’t effect anybody that didn’t want it, so where’s the harm? But as I said, even without any changes, 5000lb for the 4 door isn’t unrealistic to ask for and that would satisfy most that are upset about the lack of tow capability.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know it's been said that they [Ford] is staying with 3500 but it's still early. It wouldn't surprise me to see bump up to that 5000lbs in at least one configuration.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I already have a truck and an suv (with a shorter wheelbase, higher towing capability) that both can both go everywhere that 95% of the Bronco owners will ever go. Why would I want to always be forced to take my supercrew, 6” lift & 35” MT and leave the $60k offroad vehicle at home when I head to Moab or Ouray? Seriously though, what offroad performance are you 5% Bronco owners going to lose if Ford increased towing from 3500 to 5k?

Planning on still getting a 4dr, 2.7 Badlands at this point still since I know I’ll be just under the max weight loaded, but its a piece of mind thing to give some buffer for safety reasons.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I already have a truck and an suv (with a shorter wheelbase, higher towing capability) that both can both go everywhere that 95% of the Bronco owners will ever go. Why would I want to always be forced to take my supercrew, 6” lift & 35” MT and leave the $60k offroad vehicle at home when I head to Moab or Ouray? Seriously though, what offroad performance are you 5% Bronco owners going to lose if Ford increased towing from 3500 to 5k?

Planning on still getting a 4dr, 2.7 Badlands at this point still since I know I’ll be just under the max weight loaded, but its a piece of mind thing to give some buffer for safety reasons.
That's a question you need to ask yourself I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not every vehicle works for everything/everyone.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not everybody needs the truck capabilities. And as you said, 3500 across the board seems to just be playing it safe. That’s what people are upset about. Even the wrangler has a 1500lb difference between 2dr and 4dr all else the same. Longer wheelbase means better stability all else equal. So why can’t the 4dr bronco have a 1500lb increase in towing over the 2dr? That’s all most are asking for, a 5000lb rating at least. That doesn’t seem unrealistic at all, and def doesn’t take a trucks capability. And that’s without changing anything else as it already has a longer wheelbase advantage over the two door. Of course there’s people that would like more than that, and adding things like a rear sway bar or stiffer springs could easily get that too, but then yes you are going to take a small hit in off-road capability. But if those additions are only in an optional tow package then it wouldn’t effect anybody that didn’t want it, so where’s the harm? But as I said, even without any changes, 5000lb for the 4 door isn’t unrealistic to ask for and that would satisfy most that are upset about the lack of tow capability.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto...apacity/information/truck-towing-capacity.htm
Sponsored