Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Payload capacity: This is the maximum weight of cargo and passengers that the vehicle is designed to carry. Payload is the GVWR minus the truck’s base curb weight, which is classified as the weight of the vehicle including a full tank of fuel and all standard—but not optional—equipment. Don’t forget that the trailer’s tongue weight needs to be included here, too.
Tongue weight is included when you're checking that you don't go over your payload yes, but I was talking about the weight you include in the tow vehicle that needs to be included in your total towed weight. If you include tongue weight in there then you double-count it, since it's already part of the trailer weight as well.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Say what? Why would payload be deducted out of the max towing capacity? The way you're describing it, it has a max towing of 3500lbs but then for example subtract 2 adults (300lbs) + 2 kids (120lbs) + fuel (126lbs if 18gal) + gear (150lbs) = 2,804 max tow capacity.

Shouldn't it be:
GCWR less GVWR = towing capacity? or GCWR less (curb weight + weight of passengers, fuel, and cargo) = towing capacity?

For payload:
GVWR less curb weight = max payload (people, fuel, gear, additional options/equipment add-ons that are supported by the vehicle's suspension & trailer tongue weight)?
Yes that's what I've read multiple times in my research when we were first looking at buying our current SUV and trailer, and then again when looking at the Bronco's TC. Fuel is always included in the curb weight of the vehicle though. Perhaps it's incorrect? Worth others looking into.

I've also heard the second piece too, but haven't compared the values on different vehicles to see what's actually listed.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes that's what I've read multiple times in my research when we were first looking at buying our current SUV and trailer, and then again when looking at the Bronco's TC. Fuel is always included in the curb weight of the vehicle though. Perhaps it's incorrect? Worth others looking into.

I've also heard the second piece too, but haven't compared the values on different vehicles to see what's actually listed.
For example, Im in the midst of shopping gladiator models and the only things I need to consider is to look at is the tow rating (fluctuates based on trim, engine & gearing) but its the payload that is the big deal for me and is printed on the door jam based on the options I select. Rubicon package has lower payload as it adds more weight for standard options, different suspension, then add a hard top, steel bumper, winch, 37” spare w/ wheel, diesel engine adds even more weight (its tow rating is 1250lbs less) plus tongue weight, humans and dogs but even if I max out my payload, I still have the factory stated max tow rating as the GVWR + tow weight would be equal to or less than the GCWR.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For example, Im in the midst of shopping gladiator models and the only things I need to consider is to look at is the tow rating (fluctuates based on trim, engine & gearing) but its the payload that is the big deal for me and is printed on the door jam based on the options I select. Rubicon package has lower payload as it adds more weight for standard options, different suspension, then add a hard top, steel bumper, winch, 37” spare w/ wheel, diesel engine adds even more weight (its tow rating is 1250lbs less) plus tongue weight, humans and dogs but even if I max out my payload, I still have the factory stated max tow rating as the GVWR + tow weight would be equal to or less than the GCWR.
I feel like every place I look has a different explanation now, even of simple things like the relationship between GVWR and TC. I sure hope that occupant weight really doesn't need to be included - this would help.big time.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
How does a WDH affect ground clearance on trailers? If I'm correct, the bars stick down below the trailer frame. For example, my camper has a 360-degree fully articulating hitch and is made to have the most ground clearance possible (20" along with a 40-degree departure angle). Examples below of the camper doing their thing.

patriot-camper-x2-jeep-ascent.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.43.54 PM.png
WDH's with sway control do hang lower than a simple ball setup, some more than others. Hauling my various 19-20' offroadable hardside travel trailers at first I used a WDH with sway control, then when I left pavement I would swap in a plain rise hitch. I found pretty quick going onto somewhat easy BLM roads the angles, ruts, washouts that the TV and trailer could handle the WDH isn't suited for that.

Low-profile trailers like yours, popups, A-frames probably don't need a WDH for highway travel. But someone wanting to haul a 19' hardside like my 1706fb often want it, therefore a ClassIII or better is needed for the Bronco.

I sold the WDH and have since used a 4" - 6" rise hitch with the hardsides, but also upgraded the rear suspensions on a Tacoma, Gen1 Tundra, V8 4Runners. Various upgrades depending on which vehicle. Helper springs, Timbren bump stops, HD coils, stronger shocks, airbags, Hellwig rear swaybar.

Seems to me Ford could and should add an optional Tow Package with a WDH-capable hitch. 5000lbs is not difficult to accomplish with these turbos and a Ranger frame. It's kind of a waste of engine power especially with the 2.7.

Sponsored

Hulkbuster19

Badlands
First Name
Mike Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be towing a 21 ft jet boat....with trailer brakes....but will be asking if ford will have a heavy duty trans cooler with there tow package.Also...there are many options of teardrop style trailers...AND the "go pro light" trailers that come in under the 3500 lb weight rating......google trailers under 3500 lbs....you should find a few

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Todkavonic @The Pope @Eggsalad @2Jeeps&PatriotX1 @pan-y-cerveza Nate's poll showed ~22% of respondents had some kind of concern about the stated Towing Capacity of 3500lbs, which I consider to be significant. Do any of you have ideas for a good way to get Ford's attention about this matter?
Don't know how to get Ford's attention, but that poll (open for only seven days) showed only 43% of respondents had no concerns at all. Ford should absolutely have an intern or two or three reviewing the concerns on this board.

Maybe they have plans to do some J2807 testing, but they're still working with prototypes and because of COVID their plans for rollout are affected. It seems a no-brainer the 4-dr with the badass 2.7 tow engine should rub Jeep's nose in the dust for tow capacity.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't know how to get Ford's attention, but that poll (open for only seven days) showed only 43% of respondents had no concerns at all. Ford should absolutely have an intern or two or three reviewing the concerns on this board.

Maybe they have plans to do some J2807 testing, but they're still working with prototypes and because of COVID their plans for rollout are affected. It seems a no-brainer the 4-dr with the badass 2.7 tow engine should rub Jeep's nose in the dust for tow capacity.
I'll offer Ford up my camper trailer or my wrangler on a flatbed trailer to test tow out here in the Rockies.;)

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll offer Ford up my camper trailer or my wrangler on a flatbed trailer to test tow out here in the Rockies.;)
Towing 90% of the time at 5400ft minimum altitude the turbo 2.7 would be great to have in an SUV. There's no other engine in an SUV that can provide that towing power at a reasonable buyin cost and also deliver good fuel mileage. Ford has to step up to the plate and match the tow capacity to the engine.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Towing 90% of the time at 5400ft minimum altitude the turbo 2.7 would be great to have in an SUV. There's no other engine in an SUV that can provide that towing power at a reasonable buyin cost and also deliver good fuel mileage. Ford has to step up to the plate and match the tow capacity to the engine.
Which is why I love my 3.5EB in my truck. Even adding a turbo to my 4.0 inline 6 in the wrangler was a drastic difference in my commutes. Turbos at elevation are perfect.

BerserkerDin

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bishi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How about a bass boat and trailer? Anybody do any bass fishing that could shine some light? Maybe close to 2,400-2,500lb? Bronco should be fine?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only problem I'm seeing is those that will go above the tow rating even if it's advisable to not go above 75-80% of the limit. If Bronco can't tow what you want it to, it's not the right vehicle for the job. You could buy an Escape with 1500 Lb rating, so things could be a lot worse.
But my 2014 Escape has a 3,500 lb tow rating. So, the Bronco adds nothing here.

I think the point many (many) people are trying to make is that 3,500 lbs is clearly a preliminary number, and while it may end up being the final number, at this point, it seems very arbitrary, given the data points:
  • The Bronco is based on the Ranger. The Ranger with the same 10-speed auto and 2.3 motor has a 7,700 lb max tow rating.
  • The tow rating for the 2-door and 4-door models is the same
  • The tow rating for the 2.3 and 2.7 motors is the same
So, clearly the powertrain is not part of the equation. And given the Bronco is sharing the Ranger's chassis, that doesn't seem to be part of it, either. (Knowing the heavy off-road use intended for the Bronco, who believes Ford would make Bronco's chassis any weaker than Rangers?) If the Bronco had the same components in its tow package as the Ranger does, the issue becomes almost just a matter of suspension and wheelbase. Yet a 5,000 lb rating would still be well short of Ranger's (more than 50% higher).

I get it. There are factors involved that those of us not on the Bronco's engineering team don't get. I don't mind if the Bronco's tow rating is truly limited by engineering issues. I just don't want it limited by lawyering. While some say it "could be a lot worse", others are saying it "could be better."

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But my 2014 Escape has a 3,500 lb tow rating. So, the Bronco adds nothing here.

I think the point many (many) people are trying to make is that 3,500 lbs is clearly a preliminary number, and while it may end up being the final number, at this point, it seems very arbitrary, given the data points:
  • he Bronco is sharing the Ranger's chassis, that doesn't seem to be part of it, either. (Knowing the heavy off-road use intended for the Bronco, who believes Ford would make Bronco's chassis any weaker than Rangers?)er).

I get it. There are factors involved that those of us not on the Bronco's engineering team don't get. I don't mind if the Bronco's tow rating is truly limited by engineering issues. I just don't want it limited by lawyering. While some say it "could be a lot worse", others are saying it "could be better."
My take, the number is not Preliminary, its is the last and final number for the 2021 Bronco. Ford doesn't publish temporary numbers. Especially a safety related number. What is limiting the tow rating? My guess is a combination of suspension height, spring rates and wheelbase. Plus an innate cheapness (they got it from their founder) that they don't want to rate each variant differently. Managing that can of worms would give the lawyers ulcers. So one number for all Broncos, based on the capabilities of a 2d sasquatch.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My take, the number is not Preliminary, its is the last and final number for the 2021 Bronco. Ford doesn't publish temporary numbers. Especially a safety related number. What is limiting the tow rating? My guess is a combination of suspension height, spring rates and wheelbase. Plus an innate cheapness (they got it from their founder) that they don't want to rate each variant differently. Managing that can of worms would give the lawyers ulcers. So one number for all Broncos, based on the capabilities of a 2d sasquatch.
They (FoMoCo) rate each variant for the F Series, so not doing it with the Bronco would be out of the norm for FoMoCo.
Sponsored