Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Say what? Why would payload be deducted out of the max towing capacity? The way you're describing it, it has a max towing of 3500lbs but then for example subtract 2 adults (300lbs) + 2 kids (120lbs) + fuel (126lbs if 18gal) + gear (150lbs) = 2,804 max tow capacity.

Shouldn't it be:
GCWR less GVWR = towing capacity? or GCWR less (curb weight + weight of passengers, fuel, and cargo) = towing capacity?

For payload:
GVWR less curb weight = max payload (people, fuel, gear, additional options/equipment add-ons that are supported by the vehicle's suspension & trailer tongue weight)?
This sounds complicated. What are the chances Ford puts out some guidance with recommended trailers/campers with remaining payload weight of towing capacity with each trailer/camper they recommend?
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This sounds complicated. What are the chances Ford puts out some guidance with recommended trailers/campers with remaining payload weight of towing capacity with each trailer/camper they recommend?
They have a general towing guide for all of their vehicles. It is the small print in this guide that clarifies the concern above. And for people who would be towing a trailer with their family in the Bronco it is definitely a concern.

Ford Bronco What would be a realistic towing capacity? Screenshot_20200823-205446

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They have a general towing guide for all of their vehicles. It is the small print in this guide that clarifies the concern above. And for people who would be towing a trailer with their family in the Bronco it is definitely a concern.

Ford Bronco What would be a realistic towing capacity? Screenshot_20200823-205446
10% tongue weight is a very liberal calculation. The more commonly & conservative recognized tongue weight estimate is 12-15% of the trailer weight.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

10% tongue weight is a very liberal calculation. The more commonly & conservative recognized tongue weight estimate is 12-15% of the trailer weight.
I suppose if you only have a driver (no passenger) who is not corpulent then 2-5% of a 3500lb trailer is probably taken up by the passenger allowance, but in any other situation that reduces that ACTUALLY available TC of this vehicle even more.

So for those whose trailer alone is pushing the boundaries of whether 3500lbs is enough or not the answer is likely no.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I suppose if you only have a driver (no passenger) who is not corpulent then 2-5% of a 3500lb trailer is probably taken up by the passenger allowance, but in any other situation that reduces that ACTUALLY available TC of this vehicle even more.

So for those whose trailer alone is pushing the boundaries of whether 3500lbs is enough or not the answer is likely no.
The number/weight of passengers inside the vehicle carries no bearing of trailer hitch weight, but it affects the maximum towing capacity. It’s about the weight balance distribution of the trailer itself. An unbalanced trailer weight distribution Makes for dangerous towing, much like weight and balance issues in an airplane affect its quality of flight. The chart from Honda on my 4WD Pilot is one of the better descriptions of trailer towing in an owners manual

7DCD574D-B127-406A-918B-5500A83F0834.png

67FB2976-14BA-4452-9A5B-AD78244D9C84.png

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The number/weight of passengers inside the vehicle carries no bearing of trailer hitch weight, but it affects the maximum towing capacity. It’s about the weight balance distribution of the trailer itself. An unbalanced trailer weight distribution Makes for dangerous towing, much like weight and balance issues in an airplane affect its quality of flight. The chart from Honda on my 4WD Pilot is one of the better descriptions of trailer towing in an owners manual

7DCD574D-B127-406A-918B-5500A83F0834.png

67FB2976-14BA-4452-9A5B-AD78244D9C84.png
What I meant was the TC assumes 300lbs worth of people and 10% hitch weight, so even if hitch weight is actually 12-15% on a max 3500lb trailer then if you have only one person in the vehicle it should be pretty much the same overall load. These are pretty generic assumptions made to go along with what in this case is most definitely a very generic tow capacity.

Yeah that Pilot towing guide is very good! More vehicles need owner's manuals like that. Most people are completely unaware that load in the tow vehicle affects your available tow capacity. I wonder if this information posted at the head of the wanted/needed tow rating poll would have affected some people's choices.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope Ford comes up with a HD trailer package;) I towed my utility trailer with a couple of dirt bikes, yard equipment, fuel and other “cabin gear” to our cottage this weekend. Just me the wife, 1 dog, golf clubs, tools, food etc. probably 2500lbs. Of stuff and people and the F150 got 22.1 MPG combined so far on the trip. I would give up some able articulation to be able to use my Bronco as an actual SUV and not a $50k side by side. I know some people don’t care and don’t tow anything, but it is a consideration for me.

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd love to be able to tow my GTI to the track. Not worried about the motorcycles as those barely weigh anything but the GTI at around 3100 lbs. would be amazing. Going with a 4-door WildTrak (as of 9/6/20 @ 3:45pm lol)

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I hope Ford comes up with a HD trailer package;) I towed my utility trailer with a couple of dirt bikes, yard equipment, fuel and other “cabin gear” to our cottage this weekend. Just me the wife, 1 dog, golf clubs, tools, food etc. probably 2500lbs. Of stuff and people and the F150 got 22.1 MPG combined so far on the trip. I would give up some able articulation to be able to use my Bronco as an actual SUV and not a $50k side by side. I know some people don’t care and don’t tow anything, but it is a consideration for me.
Yeah exactly some kind of separate optional package that allows much higher towing, even at the expense of some articulation or with a slightly stiffer suspension. Those who want a Moab rock crawler don't need to get it and don't need to give up anything.

If no rear sway bar is an issue then I'd like to see a mechanically locking one for when we're towing. This may be more complicated than I think it is at first glance but how about one whose mechanism slides forward into the receiver when it's unlocked so that you can only put a hitch in when it's locked? Could even use the hitch as extra help pushing it back into place and then the pinned hitch is also a mechanical lock-out when it's in use.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here you say it's just the hitch

Here you say it's not just the hitch, and that you're not going to do something that no one said you should. Remove the rear sway bars? Part of the problem is that there doesn't even appear to be rear sway bars in the first place. There isn't even anything to remove!

If you want the science, you should probably not tell everyone to implement an overly simplistic solution that is likely not going to actually solve the problem.
Relax man, we are just talking. Ridiculous

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Relax man, we are just talking. Ridiculous
My post this morning was about how such a ludicrously low tow rating could potentially lead to people making their own adjustments to tow something more reasonable, but that without doing it right we could end up with serious safety concerns.

Just putting a Class III hitch on and calling it good for 5000lbs without understanding all of the limiting factors is exactly what I was talking about.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My post this morning was about how such a ludicrously low tow rating could potentially lead to people making their own adjustments to tow something more reasonable, but that without doing it right we could end up with serious safety concerns.

Just putting a Class III hitch on and calling it good for 5000lbs without understanding all of the limiting factors is exactly what I was talking about.
I am with you on your original post wholeheartedly. I am also with you on the Class III not solving the low tow rate in your post. I really think it will tow more, but to clarify I want to know what Ford's answer is. As for the Class III hitch I will still go that route

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am with you on your original post wholeheartedly. I am also with you on the Class III not solving the low tow rate in your post. I really think it will tow more, but to clarify I want to know what Ford's answer is. As for the Class III hitch I will still go that route
I agree lots of people will, even if just for the flexibility of being able to use more hitch types. I'll probably join you. Class II receivers are a joke on something the size of a Bronco.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree lots of people will, even if just for the flexibility of being able to use more hitch types. I'll probably join you. Class II receivers are a joke on something the size of a Bronco.
Yep... I am sure we will eventually learn more about this... Cheers