Sponsored

What would be Plan B larger vehicle for a family hauler?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am going to see the Broncos in person next Wed. in New Jersey and cannot freaking wait! My very first test, above all else, is to go to a 4-door and set the driver and passenger seats for myself, and then get in the back seat. I have to test if I can fit behind myself, because my boy is destined to be over 6-foot. I'll be glad if he stops at 6-3.

Bonus if I can get my brother to come with me. Between the two of us that would be almost 600 pounds of pure American Dad-Bro in order to truly test the spaciousness of the front and back seats.

Inadequate back seat space would be a full stop for me. I've got to have it.

SOOOOO - If the 4-door Bronco is simply not large enough for me and I have to give up the dream - what should be my fallback? I mean, after a requisite period of deep mourning, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Just kidding - I'll numb the pain with a cold six pack, like a real man.

Constraints - one vehicle only - I cannot afford a 2nd parking spot in my urban parking ramp.

Must be bigger inside than the Bronco.

I'm not interested in a 3-row vehicle. I find that they smoosh 3 rows into the space of 2. I'd rather have a spacious back seat.

No minivans, no pickups. Cannot be a giant beast like an Escalade because it won't fit in the parking spot. I see a few of those and F150s or Ram trucks in the garage, and it would be an F'n nightmare.

Doesn't HAVE to be *truly* off-road worthy, but does need to be camping and road tripping worthy. It's going to be hauling muddy boots, muddy tents and muddy dad/son for years of Boy Scout camping, and then me camping on my own. This puppy is going to national parks, remote state parks, and as much forest road and stuff that it can handle.

OK, Hive Mind - what's my Plan B if the Big Bronco ain't big enough?
Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Expedition. The 2nd row has more leg room than the front row. Rear seats fold flat or some models delete them. My wife’s 2018 gets 19/22 mpg and is the best wind noise/roadhouse/ ride of any suv I’ve experienced.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not many 2 row SUVs out there similar to Bronco besides 4Runner and Grand Cherokee. I was looking at an Explorer ST before I decided on Bronco. It was fast but still felt like a family hauler. Nice interior, would be a great daily. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk? Love my 4runner but it's similar size to Bronco. At least my 4th gen. My sister has a new 4Runner and it's not very big inside either..

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Expedition. The 2nd row has more leg room than the front row. Rear seats fold flat or some models delete them. My wife’s 2018 gets 19/22 mpg and is the best wind noise/roadhouse/ ride of any suv I’ve experienced.
This.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My gut tells me that if you’re already worried the Bronco will be to small, it’s likely it will be.

4Runner, though similar in size, may be the answer. The construction and layout will make the whole experience, particularly those back seats, feel more civilized and proper.

Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm 6'2". I did the exact same thing you did. I sat in both driver's seats and adjusted to my comfort then got in the back.

My knees touched the back if the drivers seat, but I could straddle it and have plenty of room.

As for bqck-ups, I have no idea. I'm kind of in the same boat. My biggest problem is I just don't like the looks of a lot of other vehicles. I think a lot of modern SUVs just look like minivans. This includes the 2015 Edge that I am currently driving.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FJ80

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d say Expedition or maybe a Jeep Grand Wagoneer... big maybe. Wagoneer is way overpriced imo but then again what isn’t.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My gut tells me that if you’re already worried the Bronco will be to small, it’s likely it will be.

4Runner, though similar in size, may be the answer. The unibody construction and layout will make those back seats feel more civilized and proper.
4Runner is body on frame. I think that's why some of the bronco metrics for allocation looked for wrangler and 4runner registrations.

My wife just got a Hyundai Palisade, lots of features for the price. The Kia Telluride shares the same platform and is the one I would pick based on looks.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Explorer. Get a used cop car, throw a 1" lift on it and some bigger rubber. Itll do any sane offroading and have plenty of room. Bonus if you get the spot lights and rear seat barrier.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If an Escalade is too big, then probably all full size suv's will be too big for your situation. Lots of mid size suv choices. FWIW Nissan's coming out with a new Pathfinder, pics are out, might be OK.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think this is just a result of the upright nature of the windshield vs cars and other vehicles with severely raked windshields. my 97 F250 gives me the same feeling vs my Focus ST.
Sponsored