Sponsored

What would be Plan B larger vehicle for a family hauler?

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My professional career has been project management and now I manage project managers and I do not have a plan B.

So much for risk mitigation planning experience. :p
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My professional career has been project management and now I manage project managers and I do not have a plan B.

So much for risk mitigation planning experience. :p
That is an accepted risk... no mitigation necessary

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The base land rover defender 110 is similarly priced and has slightly more interior space without being a 3 row SUV.

Cleehb

Big Bend
First Name
Colleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot, Hyundai Pallisade
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am going to see the Broncos in person next Wed. in New Jersey and cannot freaking wait! My very first test, above all else, is to go to a 4-door and set the driver and passenger seats for myself, and then get in the back seat. I have to test if I can fit behind myself, because my boy is destined to be over 6-foot. I'll be glad if he stops at 6-3.

Bonus if I can get my brother to come with me. Between the two of us that would be almost 600 pounds of pure American Dad-Bro in order to truly test the spaciousness of the front and back seats.

Inadequate back seat space would be a full stop for me. I've got to have it.

SOOOOO - If the 4-door Bronco is simply not large enough for me and I have to give up the dream - what should be my fallback? I mean, after a requisite period of deep mourning, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Just kidding - I'll numb the pain with a cold six pack, like a real man.

Constraints - one vehicle only - I cannot afford a 2nd parking spot in my urban parking ramp.

Must be bigger inside than the Bronco.

I'm not interested in a 3-row vehicle. I find that they smoosh 3 rows into the space of 2. I'd rather have a spacious back seat.

No minivans, no pickups. Cannot be a giant beast like an Escalade because it won't fit in the parking spot. I see a few of those and F150s or Ram trucks in the garage, and it would be an F'n nightmare.

Doesn't HAVE to be *truly* off-road worthy, but does need to be camping and road tripping worthy. It's going to be hauling muddy boots, muddy tents and muddy dad/son for years of Boy Scout camping, and then me camping on my own. This puppy is going to national parks, remote state parks, and as much forest road and stuff that it can handle.

OK, Hive Mind - what's my Plan B if the Big Bronco ain't big enough?
We got a palisade for the family car. Second row captains chairs fit the 6 ft 15 yo and 5’7” 12 yo, AND has third row that fits 3 average size teenage friends.

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
...My back up choice is a Ford Transit...AWD...choice of 2 V-6 engines(1 eco-boost)..3 lengths..3 heights...( 6'3'' inside) from 2-15 seats... for the same price as a Bronco...

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If he drives one he will change his mind. lol
My wife has a brand new 2020 F-150 Crew Cab. Back seat is palatial. It is LONG though. Quite a bit bigger than her old 2007 Expedition EL. The EL was worth it when the kids were still at home though for the extra 16" of cargo space.

I think the best backup for the OP is the standard length 4x4 Expy, and just keep the 3rd row folded down forever.

Edit to add: the new Explorer is back to a RWD vehicle, and is pretty big. 119 inch wheelbase is the same as the previous Expedition before they bumped it up to 122. Expy will have more shoulder room.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife's Volvo XC90 has been a great vehicle. It's not huge either but the backseat area and cargo area both seem much better than the Bronco. It's not going to be much of an off-roader but it does have AWD.

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some good advice coming out. Here. I have some homework and visits in my near future
I think I will have to abandon my hopes of going crazy far afield until the munchkins are out of my back seat.

I really wish Ford still had lockers for an SUV. There is AWD but that’s not quite the same. All I’m finding for SUVs is mall crawlers. The 4Runner is obsolete. There’s nowhere good for me to turn for my needs.

The national fetish with 3 rows and moonroofs is foolish behavior at large. Add a 3d row and you lose leg room in the 2nd row. The moonroof is always built into the cabin headroom. Might not matter to short people but a tall guy really needs to have every inch possible.

And when did I become the only guy who can’t afford an 85K vehicle?

so frustrating.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And when did I become the only guy who can’t afford an 85K vehicle?
Don't worry you didn't. The current vehicle market is ridiculous.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm likely to wind up in an Explorer or Aviator (same thing, but from Lincoln) before then. Perhaps a Lexus RX350. I'm going to check out Toyotas this weekend, and will also sit in some Subarus.

My wife, she wants a new car. Now that Bronco is off the menu (see my other recent posts), I need to get a new car. I'd like to wait to see what the Explorer will have for off-road toughness if the Timberline thing is true. I'd also prefer to wait for Sync 4.

I have no idea why the hell they're not rolling Sync 4 out across the lines immediately. It seems utterly stupid to only have it in the F150, Bronco and Mustang Mach-E for now. Talk about a stupid reason to lose out on sales. But who would commit to a vehicle that has Sync 3, knowing that Sync 4 is now available?

Ah well, at least I'm healthy and safe and still working. That's good enough.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Range Rover Classic...but ONLY if you’re mechanically adept.

Tulumben

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in the same boat as the OP... want to buy a vehicle capable of moderate off-road driving (doesn't need to be a "rock crawler") but also need it to carry 5 passengers. Also live in an urban area with underground parking so that's an issue. Something like an F150 short box would tick most of the boxes for me but it's just too damn big. One thing I've always wondered - why isn't there an in-between size for trucks between a mid size and a full size? Being in the cab of a mid size truck (i.e. Ranger) feels like being in a compact car (Honda Civic has more rear legroom) but then a full-size truck you could fit like 5 NBA players comfortably in there. Why doesn't something in the middle exist? Take the F150 and shave a few inches off the height and width, reduce rear legroom by 6 inches to cut down the overall length, etc. I can't be the only one who would want a vehicle like this??

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Flex all day if you want a 3rd row. Can beat how great they drive and the size. They are ugly as sin but drive awesome. AWD Ecoboost is a rocket.
Sponsored