Sponsored

What you can get out of the 2.3L with a tune and some other small mods...

AZRap

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 16 Mustang, 56 F100, 19 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would look into Mustang tunes. I think 5 star and others were getting 500 hp out of that little motor

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interesting that on the stock tune it seems a bit underrated.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would think 350rwhp and 400rwtq with a Tune, down pipe, intercooler, full exhaust, and good bye gas mileage is easy to hit. Add a better turbo like our mustang bros and maybe we could hit 450rwhp. I would first drive it stock, and then with the tune that the rangers have to get us up to 310rwhp and 370tq, i just don't imagine 310rwhp not being enough to make you happy

Sponsored

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are those 93 octane numbers real? :oops: He said 290+ hp & 373 torques from the 2.3L. Can I actually expect to get that just by paying an extra $0.25 for each gallon of gas??

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would think 350rwhp and 400rwtq with a Tune, down pipe, intercooler, full exhaust, and good bye gas mileage is easy to hit.
i wonder if with those same mods, doing 87 octane or even 89 with 300whp and 350wtq with good gas mileage is achievable. more of a daily driver tune. more power, cooler running temps and still good or stock gas mileage.

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
i wonder if with those same mods, doing 87 octane or even 89 with 300whp and 350wtq with good gas mileage is achievable. more of a daily driver tune. more power, cooler running temps and still good or stock gas mileage.
The Ranger guys are getting to 300rwhp on a tune. I'll say the same thing that we say in the mustang world to all the new mustang owners that want every bolt on and a super charger. What is your goal? Is your goal a 0-60 in the 4 second range with this bronco? My current mustang has 505rwhp, I've used that power maybe 3% in my driving in the last 2 years. My truck has 170 engine hp, i feel like it does fine in the city and on the freeway, thats with 32's and 260k miles on it. I'd suggest going on the ranger forums and looking up the guys adding mods and see what they are getting.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a fan of 5 Star Tune, took my V10v3 from 350 to 425 HP in 5 minutes with just a cold air intake and K&N. Can't wait to see what they do for the 2.7.

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would think 350rwhp and 400rwtq with a Tune, down pipe, intercooler, full exhaust, and good bye gas mileage is easy to hit. Add a better turbo like our mustang bros and maybe we could hit 450rwhp. I would first drive it stock, and then with the tune that the rangers have to get us up to 310rwhp and 370tq, i just don't imagine 310rwhp not being enough to make you happy
My 2.3 came standard with 350whp and 350 wtq. $600 for a 91 octane tune (thats primary purpose was to remove the rev hang...) and a K&N filter, added an additional 50whp and 50wtq. Thing goes like greased weasel shit...

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im certain if you upgrade the larger turbo (RS, Mustang HPPE), youll already be ahead of the curve, and being OEM+, Sure it wont raise red flags, though dont quote me on that

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious, how much would one of these tunes shorten the life of your engine? Seems to me if you make the engine work harder than what it was designed for, parts are gonna wear out sooner.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just curious, how much would one of these tunes shorten the life of your engine? Seems to me if you make the engine work harder than what it was designed for, parts are gonna wear out sooner.
Would have to know what psi they are running, AF ratio and duty cycle at a minimum.

There is a LOT more that goes into tuning a car for real-world driving than simply hitting peak numbers. And specialty vehicles (from drag strip to off-road) greatly benefit from tuning to their purpose.

Also, Ford has come out and openly said there are additional fail safes on the ECU to prevent access to certain perimeters.

Sigh, now I want to rebuild the Holly 750 cfm carb on the T-bird just so I don't have to think about modern vehicle modifications.

Ford To Limit or Prevent any Tuners From Altering the Ford Bronco’s ECU