Sponsored

What's Ford's logic regarding "Advanced 4x4" availability?

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
For a street-tire Base model, you would think the "Advanced 4x4" transfer case, with 4A (AWD), would be a legit selling point. One example would be keeping soccer mom and the kiddos safer in all road conditions. I am very tempted by the value proposition of a non-Squatch 2-door Base model, and I would certainly use 4A during rainy, "slick road" urban driving.

What is Ford hoping to accomplish by limiting the entry point for the Advanced 4x4 option to Black Diamond trim (for non-Squatch)?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The base is not geared to the soccer mom crowd.
Lots of great all wheel drive soccer mom vehicles are though.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a street-tire Base model, you would think the "Advanced 4x4" transfer case, with 4A (AWD), would be a legit selling point. One example would be keeping soccer mom and the kiddos safer in all road conditions. I am very tempted by the value proposition of a non-Squatch 2-door Base model, and I would certainly use 4A during rainy, "slick road" urban driving.

What is Ford hoping to accomplish by limiting the entry point for the Advanced 4x4 option to Black Diamond trim (for non-Squatch)?
When you say "safety" I think of turning and stopping. The 4a would just give a clueless person a 3 second headstart into trouble vs another person pushing 4h on a dial.

OP
OP
KH_59

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
When you say "safety" I think of turning and stopping. The 4a would just give a clueless person a 3 second headstart into trouble vs another person pushing 4h on a dial.
Your example of "turning" illustrates my point exactly regarding street driving during rain and other "borderline" slick conditions. For the "clueless", 4A would be a set-and-forget option to use all-wheel drive without constantly having to remember to pop it back into 2H to avoid binding.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford put out base to hit a price point...the “legit selling points” are on other trims to make people move up. Soccer moms aren’t buying base...OBX all day long.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Your probably better off with a mini van

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Your soccer mom example isn't a good fit. Soccer moms have loads of safer vehicles to choose from and would want creature comforts that base Bronco doesn't offer

Sponsored
OP
OP
KH_59

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your soccer mom example isn't a good fit. Soccer moms have loads of safer vehicles to choose from and would want creature comforts that base Bronco doesn't offer
Good point. They should get a mini van, with lots of creature comforts and safety features. As our kids were growing up, we had three Dodge/Chrysler vans. At the time, I had a Bronco II with manual hubs and manually-shifted xfer case. I wouldn't let my wife drive it, because I was always afraid she'd leave it in 4H during winter driving and tear up things up. I was perfectly fine with locking in the manual hubs and rowing it between 2H and 4H as needed.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base is for two different buyers, neither of whom is a soccer mom.

One base buyer is scraping together pennies to get into a vehicle they probably can't afford, the other is someone who is going to strip it and put tens of thousands of dollars into customizing, aftermarket parts and Monster Energy decals.

Their names are Hank and Kyle. Both good dudes.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good point. They should get a mini van, with lots of creature comforts and safety features. As our kids were growing up, we had three Dodge/Chrysler vans. At the time, I had a Bronco II with manual hubs and manually-shifted xfer case. I wouldn't let my wife drive it, because I was always afraid she'd leave it in 4H during winter driving and tear up things up. I was perfectly fine with locking in the manual hubs and rowing it between 2H and 4H as needed.
All this has made me miss my '88 Bronco II from high school. A rig I loved to hate, or hated to love. A gutless V6 that got 10 miles to the gallon. Beat the hell out of it. I went online to see if I could pick up an old beater. They are going for like 8K!

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can we get some soccer moms in here to elaborate? I really want some real opinions here instead of a bunch of dads and single men who think they know what soccer moms want.

/s

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base is for two different buyers, neither of whom is a soccer mom.

One base buyer is scraping together pennies to get into a vehicle they probably can't afford, the other is someone who is going to strip it and put tens of thousands of dollars into customizing, aftermarket parts and Monster Energy decals.

Their names are Hank and Kyle. Both good dudes.
Ford Bronco What's Ford's logic regarding "Advanced 4x4" availability? 0F418EF2-590E-4F3E-8A3D-65243D1C9343
Sponsored