Sponsored

What's the best way to attach two large duffel/body bags for travelling?

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What's a simplest and convenient way to add storage for road trips on the 2 door for a family of 2 and a dog?

Probably will have 2 x body/duffel bags (2 x 5 cuft?) in addition to what can fit behind the back seat.
1) Thule: inconvenient to move stuff in and out. No place to store the thule.
2) Bags on top of the roof and tie them to roof rails: hard to get the body bags up the roof. Will probably scratch the windshield trying to get them up.
3) Trailer hitch and a big metal basket: dont want to store or carry a big metal basket in the condo 98% of the year when its not used. Are there lightweight plastic or collapsible options?
4) Can you hang it off the back above or below the spare tire?
5) Hang them off the side like Motorcycle saddle bags somehow? Sideview mirrors become useless?
6) hang it on the front bumper with help of the hood tie downs? Probably kills the air to the engine
Sponsored

Last edited:

SVT_GRL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra, 2013 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Body bags? “Traveling”? Don’t make this guy upset! ?

In all seriousness cross bars/roof rack are your best options IMO. I had a Thule hard shell on my WRX that was very simple to twist/clamp on and off (no bolts) that was pretty solid and took minutes to remove. It was large enough to carry gear and stored in the closet. I just put a mat down on the roof if there was something that was on the heavier side that could cause potential scratches. I know it’s a pain, but lesser of some evils.

Last edited:

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would not do #6 for a few reasons (just getting the damn dead bugs off of it would be a pain) or anything just hanging off the back or sides

I had an old trailer hitch basket which worked well, but if you don't have a place to keep it, yeah its not optimal, but they are pretty cheap

Small roof basket maybe?

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's a simplest and convenient way to add storage for road trips on the 2 door for a family of 2 and a dog?

Probably will have 2 x body/duffel bags (2 x 5 cuft?) in addition to what can fit behind the back seat.
1) Thule: inconvenient to move stuff in and out. No place to store the thule.
2) Bags on top of the roof and tie them to roof rails: hard to get the body bags up the roof. Will probably scratch the windshield trying to get them up.
3) Trailer hitch and a big metal basket: dont want to store or carry a big metal basket in the condo 98% of the year when its not used. Are there lightweight plastic or collapsible options?
4) Can you hang it off the back above or below the spare tire?
5) Hang them off the side like Motorcycle saddle bags somehow? Sideview mirrors become useless?
6) hang it on the front bumper with help of the hood tie downs? Probably kills the air to the engine
I have no idea but I'm glad you asked. I'm in the same situation - currently dog goes in the hatch and gear goes in the back seat of my wife's FoST. I really like the looks of the two door, but the hatch area being so small concerns me - wife keeps saying we'll need a 4 door.

OP
OP
MtnRanger

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I lied. It was a Yakima! (Body size for reference). ? I am 6’. You can maybe fit 2 bodies in there if you stuff them tight enough....

D3FA755F-9C84-40D4-9727-22BAC69050E7.jpeg
5B9975D0-168E-48C8-BE50-9BA6B76DB2D0.jpeg
On a car, you can easily reach the yakima and put stuff in and out. The bronco is tall and i am short lol. Wouldnt be able to reach the thule/yakima while standing on the ground

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Accidents happen. You need a Bronco.

Ford Bronco What's the best way to attach two large duffel/body bags for travelling? 1596814362367

OP
OP
MtnRanger

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If there is a 2 in one hitch basket and bike rack, i might be more inclined to get it because I'll use it more than 5 days a year

SVT_GRL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra, 2013 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a car, you can easily reach the yakima and put stuff in and out. The bronco is tall and i am short lol. Wouldnt be able to reach the thule/yakima while standing on the ground
They have Bronco steps. Or a folding ladder perhaps? I’ve climbed a few overlanders to stow gear. Just kidding.

Other than that, the trailer hitch is an option for outside stores. (I agree with you that many of these are very heavy duty). I have seen some spare tire bike racks, and will keep an eye out for a light weight storage option for you that are rear mounts. I’m sure Ford and aftermarket will have some great availabilities for the storage you seek.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They have ladders for Jeeps that help get to the roof. I’m sure Bronco will get one too.

Ford Bronco What's the best way to attach two large duffel/body bags for travelling? 1596814810782

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd choose a hitch carrier. You could do a roof box but the roof's dynamic capacity is only 110lbs. A box is about 50lbs plus the weight of the rack. Whatever you put in there has to be really light.
Sponsored