Sponsored

What's the issue with Webasto exactly? (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just really confused on the top. Wouldn't the R&D have uncovered and corrected any issues prior to launch. It's not like on 7/13/2020 Ford launched the Bronco and then the next day had a meeting on what kind of top to use...right?
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can we get a poll, in conjunction with a lie detector test, of everyone that has actually built a product? I keep thinking lots of folks don’t understand the processes involved with making things. 🤷‍♂️

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can we get a poll, in conjunction with a lie detector test, of everyone that has actually built a product? I keep thinking lots of folks don’t understand the processes involved with making things. 🤷‍♂️
Why are you trying to ruin a good party? Get out of here!

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I try to be sympathetic about this situation, but I simply cannot fathom that this is still a problem with no resolution in sight. We've been hearing about the top problem for months, which means that Ford has known about it for much longer... or should have.

I'm with everyone else clamoring for a soft top option, with the plumbing in place, on the 2-door. Just let me get my truck! Preferably before I'm dead, or the world ends.

If the price of my build climbs $5k for MY22, that truly will be the last straw.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is also a truck driver shortage, worst in my time in transportation which is 14 years. Someone has to deliver the materials you know.

Quality of life over the road is an issue and there are so many opportunities right now for local package and food delivery that OTR can’t compete.

Sponsored

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This forum had a Webasto insider back around December. We insulted him and he stopped providing information. From him we know that the production facility was still under construction in December.
1. When was it completed?
2. From what I understand, Michigan is still under Covid lockdown, this causes delays.
3. This is a new product/process. Where are the experts located? In a Covid lockdown country?

I know nothing about the process of making these tops, but I assume that mold temperature, plastic temperature, time, removal and cooling are critical. I also assume these variables are based on experience, not math. I propose that new equipment and lack of on-site experts is what has caused the delays.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To speak to the complaints about parts and commodity shortages, know that economists called this situation a year ago when the world effectively shut down. If all pieces of the supply chain machine halt, when the restart happens there logically must be a lag getting the world back to normal function. The lag will be longer than the outage as well.

To use an analogy, if an operating room doing 10 surgeries a day is closed for 10 days, that means 100 patients did not get their surgeries. But the 100 others will be scheduled for the next 10 days will get delayed until the first 100 get done, and those 100 backlog ad infinitum. So if you’re waiting for a surgery your wait will be delayed at least 10 days, this assuming you were already scheduled.

If you’re not scheduled and/or the demand for surgeries goes up, you’re doubly hooped. The only way to get caught up is to increase the number of surgeries, which may mean building a new operating room. And all this assumes the demand is somewhat linear, which is never the case.

In the supply chain world, you then need to consider these issues at every single step of the process. The problem is vastly complex and crapping on Ford as the sole reason production of the Bronco is delayed is completely unfair to Ford.

Solve the supply chain and Ford is ready to assemble the Broncos at the nameplate output of MAP.

my .03

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't built a top. But I've got an 80's CJ and 90's TJ in the driveway right now, both with removable non-metal tops that function fine. Fast forward 2021 what's up with Webasto - this ain't rocket science.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right on. See my post above ^

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Main issue, factory construction and build out was severely delayed during the middle of pandemic. The tops you saw were built at the facility R&D was done at. Never meant to be a production facility it has become. The MI facility is going through startup pains and labor shortages.
The top Ford designed is complicated a d is proving to be hard to manufacture.
I suspect you hit the key points. Getting things up and running to mass produce at desired fit and quality, along with some parts of the design that ended up less than ideal, is probably the main reason for the delay.

Think about the "free" interior fabric liner offered for the hardtops. That was not done because of lack of workers or materials. Probably it was done to hide cosmetic defects or deal with some noise/cabin comfort issues. And that gets back to manufacture and design.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“ They who live by the outsource, die by the outsource”.

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can I just get my 2 door without a top? Maybe an IOU for a MIC top after Webasto gets the production issues sorted out?

I'd totally rock a tarp for a bit :cool:

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really have no idea on the nuts and bolts and the little detailed nuances about manufacturing anything, but I do know that this vehicle has been in development for YEARS, and without Covid, should have been running 100% production months ago. Any fit / finish or leaking issues with the roof should have been resolved LONG before now.

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I try to be sympathetic about this situation, but I simply cannot fathom that this is still a problem with no resolution in sight. We've been hearing about the top problem for months, which means that Ford has known about it for much longer... or should have.

I'm with everyone else clamoring for a soft top option, with the plumbing in place, on the 2-door. Just let me get my truck! Preferably before I'm dead, or the world ends.

If the price of my build climbs $5k for MY22, that truly will be the last straw.
If you had paid attention you would know there is a price freeze for my22 for those who ordered already.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really have no idea on the nuts and bolts and the little detailed nuances about manufacturing anything, but I do know that this vehicle has been in development for YEARS, and without Covid, should have been running 100% production months ago. Any fit / finish or leaking issues with the roof should have been resolved LONG before now.
Gun Jesus recently did a video thats akin to this. I suggest watching.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.