Sponsored

What's the issue with Webasto exactly? (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve seen every episode of How It’s Made so obviously I’m an expert 😀, so what is the issue with Webasto exactly?

Best I can tell, the manufacturing process for a hard goes like so:

1. Press button to inject hot soft plastic into molder
2. Press button when hard top is formed-hard top ejects
3. Small crew removes flashing and blemishes from hard top
4. Small crew adds plumbing and electrical for window washer
5. Throw in windows. Done.

Why isn’t Webasto churning out like 1200 of these every day??
I wish we could get some real info on what the deal is with the tops...SPECIFICS! There was a rumor that they were producing 48-50 a day......that seems unreal to me. Facts would be nice.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So they are doing to just produce tops that leak until they finally get it fixed? That doesn't sound good, but maybe they figure they'll take care of them with warranty claims.
Be careful of rumors. First we have heard of a leak issue. It's probably personnel and lack of materials. It would be nice to know for sure!

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can't speak to types of plastic involved, but J Deere is having a tremendous problem sourcing plastic items and resin to manufacture parts. Our dealer has had bagger kits on back order for months and these are things that have been in production for several years. Also, anything they source from Asia or Europe has been very difficult to get shipped to US. Deere ain't no puny company and if it can happen to them, it should give you an idea of the scope of the problem.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Main issue, factory construction and build out was severely delayed during the middle of pandemic. The tops you saw were built at the facility R&D was done at. Never meant to be a production facility it has become. The MI facility is going through startup pains and labor shortages.
The top Ford designed is complicated a d is proving to be hard to manufacture.
Since so much of this shit is speculation, IF you can, please enlighten us on how you know this! Or, are you just spitballin too?

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let’s all call up Webasto and ask lol

7E592D73-20AE-42F0-A6F1-ED9433902430.jpeg
I'm not sure causing a greater issue or controversy is going to help anything or help us. I just hope when things are caught up that FORD sues the crap out of them and finds a new vendor.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really have no idea on the nuts and bolts and the little detailed nuances about manufacturing anything, but I do know that this vehicle has been in development for YEARS, and without Covid, should have been running 100% production months ago. Any fit / finish or leaking issues with the roof should have been resolved LONG before now.
I once worked on a project that was in development for years. Some of the best ever engineers were working on it... it went through tons of research and testing; wind tunnel testing, stress testing... just about every test you can think of. Then all of a sudden the whole project was scrapped... it was called the X-33. Go figure, a faulty fuel tank ended all of it. The point is, until you have a successful launch, you’re not finished developing.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I gather, it's a whole different process because it's a different type of roof. Instead of a one layer type roof, it's 2 layers with a honeycomb sandwiched between for insulation and sound deadening purposes. New type roof, new process, new manufacturing bugs to work out.
Ok, finally something I can get behind.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might have missed this post, but doesn’t Ford put the windows in when the top gets to the plant? Or is that only on the modular?

Sponsored

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was lambasted as someone who doesn't understand the industry when these delays first started taking place. I said from the very beginning that poor planning has been the nail in the coffin for the Bronco. Yet all we hear is, "It's COVID's fault." COVID was never the problem, guys, and even if it was, it was self inflicted. Youn simply cannot shutdown an economy like the USA has. We're not like European or far eastern economies. From the very beginning, it should have been, "Put your masks on and get back to work." That's pretty much what most of Missouri did and we faired pretty good for the most part. You can't live without a livelihood. When the top maker says they don't have the capacity to fill all the orders, that means they never had the capacity and that is Ford's fault for not having multiple companies build the tops. Looks like I was fortunate when I had to cancel my order. I'll still probably have one about the same time as you guys lol.
Exactly! Covid was already in full swing for months when they launched. There was no surprise. Trying to blame covid at this point is insulting.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Exactly! Covid was already in full swing for months when they launched. There was no surprise. Trying to blame covid at this point is insulting.
Absolutely!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very true, a good part of this involves politics.
Yes, my long post got deleted because I tried to address this from an economist prospective. Guess it doesn't matter.

Regardless of the reasons, falsehoods, or truths, there are many issues that contribute to us not having our Broncos any time soon. It's not all politics, but it's more about a company that can't deliver on what was expected to a quality high enough to sell.

Ford is actually helping us and themselves by not having to issue a recall in a year or so once the roofs start to leak. My Badlands build is basically water resistant, but I don't think guys should tolerate leaks or mold and mildew.

Likely there is something with the material surviving extreme temps and heavy rain, maybe pressure.

Ford also sent their engineers over to the company to help with the design, but with testing, tooling, it just will take some time.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Don’t know why... but I do know they have a lot of positions available. Maybe they just don’t pay enough to get quality employees 🤷‍♂️
I thought early on, January? , the factory where the tops are made was hit with Covid and shut down until late March or April? This would be a huge thing.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Clearly most of you aren't in business. This has affected every maker. The supply chain is a mess. Certain parts cannot be had. And that's across nearly every industry. It's OK to be upset, but get real. It affected the whole freaking world.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.