Sponsored

What's the minimum recommended winch tow weight recommended?

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm looking at the Warn EVO line, and had been mainly considering an EVO 10-S or EVO 12-S, but looking at the tow weight for the EVO 8-S, it seems more than enough for the Bronco, but I'm looking for some feedback from folks more experienced on this topic. Thanks!
Sponsored

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

typically double the vehicle weight, and at a minimum 8k, but most winches up to 10k lbs rating will fit the same bolt pattern and fit in about the same space. You can always carry winch extensions and snatch blocks in case you need more pull, at the expense of speed and rigging time.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you! With the Outer Banks I believe curb weight is roughly 4500 pounds plus I estimate another 50 to 100 pounds for aftermarket wheels and 35 inch tires. So what I’m hearing is that 8K towing capacity is a bare minimum, and I should probably seriously consider 10K lbs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would definitely go with the 10, the 8 probably would work, but the 10 will work so much better..
Agreed. I think it’s only a $60-$80 difference. Worth the peace of mind!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As another general rule, the 8k winch will pull faster than the 10k winch. I have a cheap Chinese winch rated for 13,000lbs, but I only consider it a very slow 8k winch. I bought it because it was cheap and came with 3/8" synthetic rope which is lighter weight than steel wire rope.

OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As another general rule, the 8k winch will pull faster than the 10k winch. I have a cheap Chinese winch rated for 13,000lbs, but I only consider it a very slow 8k winch. I bought it because it was cheap and came with 3/8" synthetic rope which is lighter weight than steel wire rope.
đź‘Ť I'm thinking I will probably buy the cheaper steel line model to save $100, and then swap the steel line for a Freedom Winch Line: https://bleepinjeep.com/product/freedomline/

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thank you! With the Outer Banks I believe curb weight is roughly 4500 pounds plus I estimate another 50 to 100 pounds for aftermarket wheels and 35 inch tires. So what I’m hearing is that 8K towing capacity is a bare minimum, and I should probably seriously consider 10K lbs.
When you figure vehicle weight, you configure loaded with gear and occupants.

Base vehicle wt is about 4500 and change. That figure is no occupants, or gear.

The gross vehicle wt rating (GVWR) is roughly 5900 and change. That figure is max wt with occupants and gear, full tank of fuel.

So the number you need to self recover without being under power is 2x GVWR which is 5,900x2= 11,800. So a 12k is the proper size.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When you figure vehicle weight, you configure loaded with gear and occupants.

Base vehicle wt is about 4500 and change. That figure is no occupants, or gear.

The gross vehicle wt rating (GVWR) is roughly 5900 and change. That figure is max wt with occupants and gear, full tank of fuel.

So the number you need to self recover without being under power is 2x GVWR which is 5,900x2= 11,800. So a 12k is the proper size.
Fair. đź‘Ť

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I, as many others, have Tim the toolman tendencies. I've ran a 12K on a smaller jeep for years, however this time I went with an 8k on the 4 door bronco. Warn M8.

Several reasons, it is plenty, it is a well-built well proven unit, reliable, low profile (think grill camera) and does not break the bank. Less weight, more speed, and I usually run a snatch block anyway so I have up to 16K in pulling strength if ever needed and usually one just needs a tug to get out of a bad spot.

Hate to disagree with Tricky D, but syn rope is the better choice for this application.

Synthetic winch rope demystified | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Ford Bronco What's the minimum recommended winch tow weight recommended? winch

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.... That figure is max wt with occupants .....
In a self-recovery scenario, the passengers can and should exit the vehicle.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

đź‘Ť I'm thinking I will probably buy the cheaper steel line model to save $100, and then swap the steel line for a Freedom Winch Line: https://bleepinjeep.com/product/freedomline/
I always order with steel and replace with synthetic.

I replace the winch line with one that's 80% of max capacity, and also carry a 50' winch extension line. Most winch pulls are short pulls anyways. Far quicker/easier to re-wrap a synthetic extension than wait for your drum to respool.

Winches are rated based on the bottom/1st layer on the drum, so a shorter line increases the chances of being on that 1st/max capacity layer. This is also the reason that 1.5x is the minimum, but 2x is a good idea, since odds are you won't end up on that bottom/strongest layer during a recovery.

Should you be winching to an offset anchor (ie: tree to one side of the trail) the winch line is likely to spool up on just that side of the drum....I have witnessed winches breaking when the operator wasn't paying attention and kept jamming line in. Shorter lines decrease the need to stop and respool.

Tip: Keep your winch controller and the basics for recovery gear within ARMS REACH as you are belted in. Depending on where you are, a tree saver, softshackle/two, endless sling, etc. Nothing sucks more than being stuck and digging into the back of your rig trying to find your buried recovery gear :)
Sponsored