Sponsored

What's Up With The Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner Option?

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My JL rubicon has a hard top. Stays cool in the summer in 95 degree heat and warm in the winter at 10 degrees. Road noise isn’t too bad.

Of course it is not as quiet as the wife‘s full size SUv land barge (Nissan Armada Platinum)

It Is quieter than my GTR With an enclosed carbon fiber underbody. Everything gets transmitted through the cabin In that car.

You guys/gals will be fine With the Bronco. Now my old TJ with worn mud tires - that thing was loud.
JL, GTR, TJ? i am new here, cant follow. what do these acronyms stand for?! I think I saw JK too, Jeep something I imagine.
Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
JL, GTR, TJ? i am new here, cant follow. what do these acronyms stand for?! I think I saw JK too, Jeep something I imagine.
JL =2018 + Jeep Wrangler
GTR= Nissan GTR
JK older Jeep Wrangler version 2000’s-2018

KN-CT

Base
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XK, Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OK - so looking at the 2-door of a few editions and Std top is the Molded-In-Color Carbonized Gray- Painted. That looks fine to me - especially if later we may have the option of painting it another color. Then when looking at the Options, there is the Option of the Modular Hard Top Body Color-Painted. That may look even better - and of course it has the removable panels - and again that maybe even look better if later we may have the option of painting it another color. But then when looking at the B L and F E models under Comfort & Convenience there is another Option for the Hard Top - Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner. That sets off a few alarms to me! Does that mean the hard top alone is not going to adequately dampen the interior from street noise and maybe not adequately insulate the interior from the cold/heat? Does that mean that maybe the molded-in-color carbonized gray top may better dampen the interior from street noise and may better insulate the interior from cold/heat? And if the hard top sound deadening headliner is used, does that mean that the hard top panels are now no longer removable? Ford - customers with curious minds would like to know!

The answer is YES, the hard top alone is not going to adequately dampen the interior from street noise. Watch the video below starting with Q&A session at 21:59...

The Ford Rep specifically states that you will want the sound deadening headliner if this will be a daily driver. The hardtop is molded plastic. It will be loud and provide minimal insulation without a headliner. Boom Mat, Soundskins and others make them for the Jeep Wrangler, so it's not uncommon for this type of vehicle.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's really not the end of the world if you don't get/have the head liner. I ran without one for a while before I ordered the "HotHead" for me Jeep. I understand that road noise is relative, but don't let your dealer scare you by making you think it will sound like a train coming through. A good head liner will help with the heat in the summer and calm the noise down, but it will not make the vehicle sound like a Lexus inside.

OP
OP
Ride Em Bronco

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's really not the end of the world if you don't get/have the head liner. I ran without one for a while before I ordered the "HotHead" for me Jeep. I understand that road noise is relative, but don't let your dealer scare you by making you think it will sound like a train coming through. A good head liner will help with the heat in the summer and calm the noise down, but it will not make the vehicle sound like a Lexus inside.
FORD - why do you not let us order the top that we want from the factory??? With the 4-door Big Bend it comes standard with the soft top (which I am going to scrap) - and the MIC Hardtop is optional ($695) and the sound deadening material is optional for it ($495). I understand that the sound deadening material is ordinarily applied to the hardtop at the factory. So if my Bronco is coming with the soft top from the factory and I have to order the hardtop as an option, I expect that my dealer will be installing the optional MIC Hardtop (and does not charge me for doing so) and I expect that the MIC Hardtop will already have the sound deadening material applied to it at the factory (and the dealer does not have to apply it to the hardtop and charge me for doing so) . :unsure:

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FORD - why do you not let us order the top that we want from the factory??? With the 4-door Big Bend it comes standard with the soft top (which I am going to scrap) - and the MIC Hardtop is optional ($695) and the sound deadening material is optional for it ($495). I understand that the sound deadening material is ordinarily applied to the hardtop at the factory. So if my Bronco is coming with the soft top from the factory and I have to order the hardtop as an option, I expect that my dealer will be installing the optional MIC Hardtop (and does not charge me for doing so) and I expect that the MIC Hardtop will already have the sound deadening material applied to it at the factory (and the dealer does not have to apply it to the hardtop and charge me for doing so) . :unsure:
I'm pulling for you that this happens. But, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What is the sound deadening made of? I assume foam of some kind but will it be wrapped with a fabric or no?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the sound deadening made of? I assume foam of some kind but will it be wrapped with a fabric or no?
Typically foam with some sort of stiff backing, wrapped in headliner material.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was wondering about that.

In my F150, which is noisy, the sound comes from the mirrors pushing through the wind. Any buzz is from the tires and road.

Roof dampening isn't doing a dang thing about that. The temperature affect could be a thing, though. Florida sun is not nice. I've had sunglasses melt in the ceiling holder before.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Are you talking about ordering the MIC after you take delivery?

Because if you order the optional MIC top at purchase as well as the headliner it will all be put on at the factory and delivered as such.

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don't they have ear buds with noise cancellation now? When I fly I just use regular old ear plugs. Seems all my trips start with a full day of driving on highways.

OP
OP
Ride Em Bronco

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you talking about ordering the MIC after you take delivery?

Because if you order the optional MIC top at purchase as well as the headliner it will all be put on at the factory and delivered as such.
I would order MIC top and sound deadening material at time of purchase - but since the 4-door comes standard with the soft top was not sure how that would effect the hard top (I prefer it and the sound deadening all put on at factory) And I am not sure how ordering the MIC top would effect the soft top - whether the soft top is not delivered at all and price of MIC top adjusted for getting no soft top (which is what I prefer) or whether the soft top is still delivered (which I would scrap)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would order MIC top and sound deadening material at time of purchase - but since the 4-door comes standard with the soft top was not sure how that would effect the hard top (I prefer it and the sound deadening all put on at factory) And I am not sure how ordering the MIC top would effect the soft top - whether the soft top is not delivered at all and price of MIC top adjusted for getting no soft top (which is what I prefer) or whether the soft top is still delivered (which I would scrap)
If you order the MIC it deletes the soft top. The MIC will be installed at the factory as well as any sound deadening you order.

OP
OP
Ride Em Bronco

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you order the MIC it deletes the soft top. The MIC will be installed at the factory as well as any sound deadening you order.
Thanks for the info - that is great to know

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
275 65R20's aren't 35's. 35X12.50 are 35's. Just like the "33's" on the bronco aren't 33's. 33X12.50 are 33's.;)
Sponsored