First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So...I've never owned a Jeep (but always loved them!). And I've never been a huge off-road guy (but always admired them!). Owned plenty of 4×4 trucks and spent a little time on the beach, in the snow and on some muddy back roads...but nothing serious.

The new Bronco has finally inspired me to take it to the next level....mountain switchbacks, rock-crawling and some serious sand!

This lead me to watching a ton of YouTube videos on serious off-roading and in pretty much every video I've watched the top and doors are are on! What gives...

My idea of off-roading is a wide-ass open, bad ass "dune buggy" lookin vehicle getting it done...

What am I missing here?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The novelty gives way to practicality.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It turns out trails can be dusty and sometimes it rains ...

My top down experience is more on road than off.

OP
OP

BellyRat

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The novelty gives way to practicality.
Ok...fair enough...but what's not practical about wheeling in an open off-roader? I thought that's what they were designed for?

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok...fair enough...but what's not practical about wheeling in an open off-roader? I thought that's what they were designed for?

I guess once you start doing it, you'll understand. Unless you planned ahead and have a place to store that stuff, you ain't wheeling with the doors in the back. Just not always practical to take stuff off once you get to the trail. Where you going to leave it? Then there's the outdoor elements. Rain, heat, mud, dust, etc. Some folks like keeping that out sometimes.

Sure, wheeling with doors and top off is fun, just not always practical. After the first few months, most doors and tops will stay put.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I live in Las Vegas that’s Mojave desert area. The Mojave is a dirt desert, it is not sand like the Sahara. Desert off roading in the windy dirt is a good time to have doors and roof.

It is nicer to wheel without that stuff but driving down the highway anything in the Jeep is gonna get blown out so you have to prevent that. And if you stop for food or gas after the wheeling then the vehicle is wide open and insecure. So no leaving valuables in plain sight.
The Bronco will be awesome to be able to drive there and easily remove doors and bring them. And they are much lighter than Jeep doors.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So do you think the vinyl cash-out interior is the answer?
I’ve said all along the vinyl isn’t a necessity based on my experience. Jeep owners going topless and think they’re going to see water and mud pull the carpets out for the weekend and run on painted floor pans. Pull the plugs and wash them out when they get back, and put the carpets back in. If the carpets get wet - pull them out to dry and put them back in.

That way when you want sound dampened-ish / civilized-ish Daily driving - you have it.

I do think the frameless door windows and a drop top make driving to the trail and back more civilized (and safe) and then doors in the back / top down on the trail more likely.

But if you’re overlanding for several days you’re likely running with top and doors on.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mostly drove my Jeep off road in the rain, snow or after a long road trip somewhere. I drove it around my house no doors and bikini top all summer. We have a cottage now and I expect the top and doors to be off for the 2 months it’s warm enough in Northern MI. Probably not when we go on weekend trips to the dunes or one of the ORV destinations we have planned. It’s just not practical......maybe I do need the dual tops.....

OP
OP

BellyRat

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So...what I'm hearing is the "top-down", "doors-off" wide open off-roading experience is just a mirage? Well that's a little disappointing! Lol!!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is totally doable, just not always what you will decide is the best experience. In addition, wind eventually gets tiring. 4 hrs at moderate to high speed in an open rig can start to be irritating ? make sure you listen to your spouse so they keep enjoying the Bronco with you as well. If my wife doesn’t like it, I don’t get to drive it as much!

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never been an off roader. But there are places I want to go that will require an appropriate toy. I need a Bronco.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a lot of places that are fantastic for off roading, but the rain can sneak up fast and hard. Shoot, not 3 weeks ago I was fishing in Colorado, where half the state is on fire and it went from "oh, we got some clouds rolling in" to "holy crap get to the truck" in about 10 minutes.
Sponsored