DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 10 speed auto had a proper sport mode with paddle shifter or even using the gear selector it would be better than a + and - button. Paddle shifter might sell me on the 10 speed and then I could get the 2.7 EcoB

the problem is even powerful Autos become monotonous whereas even the most gutless manual cars Iā€™ve owned are memorable to me.
Sponsored

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please clarify, what are you talking about?

Crawl gear is manually selected using the gear lever, and there is a "lock out" security switch below the shift knob you have to pull on while shifting to engage "C" (crawl). It cannot be selected above a pre-determined speed (usually about 0-4 mph).

screen-shot-2020-06-10-at-3-38-52-pm-1591817962.png
This all, I know. My question was whether or not it may also be "locked out" unless the transfer case is in low mode.

If I do something condescending like explain what a transfer case is, or what low gear/mode is on the transfer case, people will call me mean. So I won't do that.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trust me that Unicorn does exist, go take a test drive in a Porsche Macan SUV with there dual clutch PDK automatic, it is just about the best automatic trans ever made. My Mercedes with it's more conventional 7 speed auto is pretty close to the Porsche PDK. Both of these automatics always seem to know what gear to be in, know if they should hold a gear, or how many gears to downshift, and never any delay.
I have driven quite a few Ford vehicles with the ten speed and while it is OK it isn't world class, but it is something I can live with
Could be. Those are out of my experience. Porsche and Mercedes are above my pay grade. The manual cars I've driven are considerably less expensive yet do what I want ... because I'm the one doing the deciding.

Maybe some day there will be an automatic that taps into the driver to know at any given moment, the sort of driving intended, and can scan ahead or even know before hand as a driver on a familiar road, which gears to engage and when to shift. I don't doubt you, some automatics are better than others, including in the vehicles you mentioned. I've been in a few auto vehicles with sport mode and others such modes that hold gears longer and try to anticipate the road conditions and driver desires, and they were better but still not a match for me directly making the decisions.

Note - I'm not against automatics, and the basically unlimited low speed ability of the torque converter in some off-road situations is hard to match with a manual. Each has their advantages and I've had fun with both types on and off-road. I've got an auto CJ and manual Land Rover, and there are times I appreciate and curse each, lol.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note - I'm not against automatics, and the basically unlimited low speed ability of the torque converter in some off-road situations is hard to match with a manual. Each has their advantages and I've had fun with both types on and off-road. I've got an auto CJ and manual Land Rover, and there are times I appreciate and curse each, lol.
I've seen this statement and similar statements in other threads concerning the low speed ability of an automatic. Do the new generation of automatics deal with the heat generated by low speeds and torque converters better than older versions?

deejaybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've had the following offroad rigs:
79 CJ5 -- 3 spd manual
82 CJ7 -- 5 spd manual
92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.
The MT will probably be non existent in new cars soon and I learned to drive on at MT and have always loved the experience. I am sacrificing the engine choice with a MT on the Bronco but for me, it will be much more enjoyable and considering I'll probably never be able to find a new car with a MT again, I am fine with the smaller engine. There are plenty of ways to squeeze a little more power out of an engine if need be.

And a MT has a built in anti-theft feature because so few people know how to drive a MT anymore so I'll feel a little safer leaving it in a car park with the roof and doors off. LOL

Sponsored

stik0401

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang and new Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the manual in the bronco wasn't a Getrag, I'd consider it. Ive owned two mustangs with Getrag 6 speeds and had issues with parts failure. Yes, Ford took care of it, but what a beating it was. My current Mustang has the 10spd A10 and it is a beast. I beat the hell out of it with over 800 WHP Whipple and it just keeps on rocking. The A10 also has a crazy low 1st gear, it will be a beast off-road. Id bet anyone a pack of Oreo cookies the A10 will be just as capable as the 7 spd Getrag.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the manual in the bronco wasn't a Getrag, I'd consider it. Ive owned two mustangs with Getrag 6 speeds and had issues with parts failure. Yes, Ford took care of it, but what a beating it was. My current Mustang has the 10spd A10 and it is a beast. I beat the hell out of it with over 800 WHP Whipple and it just keeps on rocking. The A10 also has a crazy low 1st gear, it will be a beast off-road. Id bet anyone a pack of Oreo cookies the A10 will be just as capable as the 7 spd Getrag.
How much torque were you trying to put down through those Getrags you broke?

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stick be better yo?

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should try driving a Ranger with the 2.3 ecoboost. That's a hard motor to fault in real-world usage
Give me the 2.3 ecoboost with a Performance Pak and MT. Please and Thank you.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Today I was going to replace all 3 rusty auto trans lines of a 18 year old F150 that we patched with rubber hose 2 years ago. But unfortunately the person at the parts counter gave my brother in law the 4 wrong pre bent 6 ft long lines for a 17 year old truck. For today I dont have to drink any ATF but I will in a week probably.

Autos suck. Does the new 10 speed not require an external cooler? How about vulnerable lines twisting all over the undercarriage? Do its pre bent lines change every other year in their routing? Just saying automatic transmissions are a pain in the ass to anyone who will actually keep their vehicle after they pay it off.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m a manual bigot, especially for performance cars. My 911 is a 2012 and the last one Iā€™ll ever have because the new ones are too electronic & digitized. The manuals are just automatics with shifter leveSr! I got an automatic loaner once from the dealer and the thing was in fifth gear at 1500 rpm before I crossed the intersection! If Iā€™d had an axe in the car, Iā€™d have beaten the hood in.

And the problem with paddle shifters is muscle memory and the left foot. I was driving my wifeā€™s car, with all her family, and had it in manual mode for the fun of it. But absent a clutch, they add a big wide brake pedal. Itā€™s amazing how much stuff comes loose in the cockpit when you push the brake firmly to the floor. I still havenā€˜t lived that down. Wonā€™t drive a manual shifter without a clutch again.

That said, I did like the auto I had in my Land Rover D90. I had two Jeeps before that, both manuals, and the auto was a great improvement crawling up trails. But Iā€™m leaning toward a manual on the Bronco. Iā€™ve never had a crawler gear. Anyone with any experience with one? Will it offer the same sort of off road feel as an auto? I donā€™t do any extreme rock crawling, just off-roading for remote camping, etc.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last time I drove a manual was at a Nascar experience at Talladega. Got to 174 miles per hour.

It was fun.

The idea of driving a manual through traffic - not so fun.

stik0401

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang and new Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How much torque were you trying to put down through those Getrags you broke?
1st two were bone stock cars on street tires. Still see lots of mustangs with bent shift forks and other issues. Who knows if this one will have issues, but I beleive the A10 is super tough. There are millions of them on the road including trucks with very very few issues. I do love banging gears though.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've seen this statement and similar statements in other threads concerning the low speed ability of an automatic. Do the new generation of automatics deal with the heat generated by low speeds and torque converters better than older versions?
My CJ auto trans was running hot and overheated off-road. An aux cooler fixed that. I'd put a good aux cooler in any auto trans 4x4. Especially if doing heavy offroading.
Sponsored