Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
“What’s with the manual trans hype?”

Boomers thinking being able to drive a manual equates to some manly superpower.
Its actually much harder to drive an auto. You have predict what gear and when the trans is going to shift and adjust your throttle input appropriately. In a manual your brain only has to predict what its own motor functions are doing to drive properly. Unless one is just simply pushing the pedal to go faster, in which case you couldnt possibly be controlling the vehicle because you aren't paying attention to what it is doing.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the following offroad rigs:
79 CJ5 -- 3 spd manual
82 CJ7 -- 5 spd manual
92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.
Nostalgia.

Last edited:

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It came down to the 2.7. If my order gets pushed to 2022, I'm getting the manual. I'll lose out on trail turn assist, one pedal drive and the low speed cruise control, but I love being able to control my engine speed and torque to the wheels.
Rowing through gears on high speed, twisty trails is a blast when keeping that power band right where you want it. Yes, I know Baja will do that, but I like the idea of being my own GOAT mode. It's my successful technique that gets me through technical climbs and low speed articulated trails. It's also my fault when I screw up and stall out, pick the wrong gear and over/under torque my wheels. It's more challenging and more fun, for me.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

“What’s with the manual trans hype?”

Boomers thinking being able to drive a manual equates to some manly superpower.
Haha, but what does that say about me?

1. I'm not a Baby Boomer (GenX, you know, that very sparsely populated age group that doesn't give an F about anything or anybody or what anyone else thinks about us because there are so few GenXers that nobody ever gave an F about what we thought.🤣)

2.) Being a female, my love of driving manual has nothing to do with wanting to be manly.

3.) This is a motor vehicle enthusiasts' forum and it will have a lot more people who enjoy "driving" more than the general public.

4.) Stick is fun.

5.) Automatic trannies cost a lot to rebuild or replace.

I really don't understand why so many people keep asking us for reasons. How about... Why the heck would anyone be buying such a fun, top-off, off-road toy and NOT want the added fun of a third pedal and stick shift?

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

Haha, but what does that say about me?

1. I'm not a Baby Boomer (GenX, you know, that very sparsely populated age group that doesn't give an F about anything or anybody or what anyone else thinks about us because there are so few GenXers that nobody ever gave an F about what we thought.🤣)

2.) Being a female, my love of driving manual has nothing to do with wanting to be manly.

3.) This is a motor vehicle enthusiasts' forum and it will have a lot more people who enjoy "driving" more than the general public.

4.) Stick is fun.

5.) Automatic trannies cost a lot to rebuild or replace.

I really don't understand why so many people keep asking us for reasons. How about... Why the heck would anyone be buying such a fun, top-off, off-road toy and NOT want the added fun of a third pedal and stick shift?
From one GenXer to another, right on!!!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nos
Nostalgia.
Yeah I dont get the easier argument offroad at all. Every time Im offroad in an auto, im nervous for my cooler lines and almost exclusively have to go in low range to get through anything, because the auto keeps wanting to shift up when I just want to keep a constant wheel speed within the power band. In a manual with a good motor you should be able to get through about any obstacle in a single gear. I get it that an auto may be slightly easier on a hill that you dont know what to expect on. But isnt the point of offroading to do something challenging or to show off your skills. If you are selecting modes and assists and then just letting off the brake pedal is there and entertainment there at all.

Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? jacki
Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? 1616879930463

Deleted member 20241

Rowing through gears in a manual in a performance car/truck is the best driving experience period - IMO. Call it old school but the connectedness (a word?) and feedback I get driving a manual is unrivaled by any auto. I was HUGELY disappointed that the V6 won't be available with the 7-spd.
Amen sir...
Key words for me are rowing through the gears. I also drive a 91 year old Ford A Model, non synchro three speed, so you really have to have an ear for timing those shifts especially down shifting.

See you on the road!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's almost like some people do wish they were rowing their own gears when they're in an auto. 🤯
Well, you kind of can with the gear shift, which makes an auto a bit more fun on the trail. There's a manual mode you can shift through with the up/down buttons on the gear shift. No clutch to worry about either. Since I can't get a manual with the 2.7, it'll do.

Tychapman

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, you kind of can with the gear shift, which makes an auto a bit more fun on the trail. There's a manual mode you can shift through with the up/down buttons on the gear shift. No clutch to worry about either. Since I can't get a manual with the 2.7, it'll do.
Oh I get that! For some that's a compromise worth living with. For others (myself included), it's not.

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh I get that! For some that's a compromise worth living with. For others (myself included), it's not.
Stay strong, lol. The 2.7 and getting it this year trumps the manual, for this guy anyway. All bets are off if I get pushed though.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also when wheeling and attempting new obstacles I usually use the clutch pedal as an abort pedal. Not as a brake. Some situations may be best if you just stopped powered movement and coasted with gravity or momentum. Where if you used the brakes you would just start sliding backwards instead of retaining the ability to steer. Just one more method of control it affords us who have the knowledge and skill to use it.

Tychapman

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stay strong, lol. The 2.7 and getting it this year trumps the manual, for this guy anyway. All bets are off if I get pushed though.
Fingers crossed it shows up for you this year. I'm a late reservation holder, hoping for maybe early Q2 next year. Good luck!
Sponsored