First Name
Farley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drive a manual transmission Ford Mustang as a daily driver. It is not always fun in heavy traffic, but when I have some space to move the car around on the road, it is better. I suppose paddle shifters are a supposed to be the "happy medium"... but they are just not the same.
I have only tried paddle shifters in my Subaru Forester, and I could not get into it. You need a clutch to shift gears! The Bronco MT is a breath of fresh air after riding the Forester for 3 years.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I wanted an automatic, could have gotten it

drove autos up until a decade ago and would never go back. I want to enjoy the ride and be in control.

that and very few people I know drive stick

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wife insisted on a manual in hers. I like having both but I really hate that I'm just waiting for the piece of shit to blow like so many others. One of the very components that should not be made in China. Big fail from Ford. For real here....gimme back the t5. Just add the crawler......

Last edited:

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had the following offroad rigs:
79 CJ5 -- 3 spd manual
82 CJ7 -- 5 spd manual
92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.

I love banging gears and have an older Bronco in a 4 speed, but I have to agree. Especially on more technical trails, auto is just a lot easier. Super low gearing obviously helps against having to slip the clutch constantly, but auto still leaves less to worry about when you are on tough obstacles. Things like hill descent assist and manual mode on the autos has taken care of a lot of the shortcomings. I will say that the 10 speed seems overkill and I would prefer an 8 speed like Jeep runs, but that's a minor gripe. I REALLY wish we still had a manual e-brake though. That was a bonehead move on Ford's part, especially on a manual.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love banging gears and have an older Bronco in a 4 speed, but I have to agree. Especially on more technical trails, auto is just a lot easier. Super low gearing obviously helps against having to slip the clutch constantly, but auto still leaves less to worry about when you are on tough obstacles. Things like hill descent assist and manual mode on the autos has taken care of a lot of the shortcomings. I will say that the 10 speed seems overkill and I would prefer an 8 speed like Jeep runs, but that's a minor gripe. I REALLY wish we still had a manual e-brake though. That was a bonehead move on Ford's part, especially on a manual.
Agreed. I've off-roaded with manual and automatic and had fun with both. The auto is generally easier when slow speed rock crawling, it's hard to beat essentially unlimited low speed control to the point of stopping in gear. With my manuals I had to think more about momentum and keeping the engine spinning over obstacles.

I would have probably gone auto if still living out west off-roading every other weekend. But I'm happy with the manual Bronco I got, more fun controlling the gears in regular usage, and should be fine with the type of off-roading I'm planning for this summer traveling out west.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the following offroad rigs:
79 CJ5 -- 3 spd manual
82 CJ7 -- 5 spd manual
92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.

I don't believe you're missing anything. Some folks just prefer a manual transmission. That, and a 2 door were my number 1 and 2 priorities.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WTF is this nonsense? We all "physically" drive our vehicles.

See..... It's supposed to be a spiritual experience..... If yer doing it right.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I still believe I have more control with a manual in technical rock crawling than an auto!

PlayTime

Heritage
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr heritage pending
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Psst: wait until this guy finds out about sequential gearboxes on motorcycles... :D

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still believe I have more control with a manual in technical rock crawling than an auto!
After crawling with a manual in my 87 Bronco for 20+ years I respectfully disagree. My Bronco is manual, but the amount of control I had driving an automatic at offroadeo was really impressive/effortless. I’m a die hard manual driver, but if I were crawling a lot anymore I’d consider the auto.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After crawling with a manual in my 87 Bronco for 20+ years I respectfully disagree. My Bronco is manual, but the amount of control I had driving an automatic at offroadeo was really impressive/effortless. I’m a die hard manual driver, but if I were crawling a lot anymore I’d consider the auto.
That is why I said "I". I've wheeled both too. I have more control, power to the ground, than an auto. The auto, if climbing something technical, you press the gas, nothing, press the gas more, still nothing, a little bit more and finally it jumps up what your climbing. You don't really know when the torque converter is going to overcome and at what throttle. With the manual, I feather the clutch, I'm the one controlling that aspect, power to the ground, not the torque converter. To be smooth with an auto, to not lurch, you have to ride the brakes, two foot driving. Manual I'm two foot driving but throttle and clutch and that's why "I" have more control with a manual. I physically have control over the power going to the ground vs the torque converter.

Edit to add: Plus, to me anyway, it's another challenge added to the challenge of picking the right line and making it through an obstacle. I do think that an auto makes wheeling much easier for most, but to me, when it gets really technical, like crawling less than a mile per hour, a manual has more control.

Last edited:

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have driven manual 4x4s all my life and loved it. I still have a manual Toyota but the auto transmission in the Bronco seems to be very reliable and with all the traffic in the area these days I have zero desire for a manual. I did test drive a manual and it was probably the easiest driving stick I have ever been in, Ford did a good job...but auto for me this time around.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have only tried paddle shifters in my Subaru Forester, and I could not get into it. You need a clutch to shift gears! The Bronco MT is a breath of fresh air after riding the Forester for 3 years.
How does it feel to lose ground clearance?