First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
3- In 5 years it'll be my current 11 year olds first car. With a manual he can't text and drive and most of his idiot friends won't be able to drive his car.

Just some of my reasoning.
Man if you think a manual is gonna stop him from texting you're in for a rude awakening ?
Maybe for the first few months..
Sponsored

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Man if you think a manual is gonna stop him from texting you're in for a rude awakening ?
Maybe for the first few months..
This worked for two of my kids. One with an Integral, and one with a 350z, it definitely cuts time available to text way down. Especially from a stop and coming up to a stop. Verified from their GPS and T-Mobile text time. It does help!

Deleted member 5035

I have a split opinion. I can certainly see the enjoyment of a manual, as I have one in my 76 Land Rover Series 3 that is great for slow speed(tops out at 50mph) and a 79 Intermeccanica Speedster thats only 1800lbs and a blast to drive as a manual. That being said, this will be my daily driver in a city and i'd much rather have the auto and 2.7 on the 4dr Black Diamond I have reserved. To each their own for sure. I suspect that maybe i'm getting older and lazier as well.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s fun, and I have more fun with it.

Easier to justify having a car payment if I know it’s something I engage with and enjoy.

Sponsored

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Manual is fun on some trucks and sportscars, other than that it's a waste of time.
Personally, I'm tired of shifting gears, although I would go that way on my "part time" toy

Basura Blanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0 4x4; 2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon (6 speed manual)
I bought a Jeep with a manual because I believe Jeeps should have two doors and three pedals. One of the best things about having a manual 2-door is making fun of my buddies with soccer mom, grocery-getting, sitting down to pee 4-door autos.

They are also more fun to drive, you can start them with a dead battery and I prefer the control of a stick off-road.

That said, having a manual daily driver in a big city is ridiculous. If my Jeep wasn't strictly a toy, I would have a 4-door auto. I would also inadvertently probably find some jerk friend to make fun of me for having a soccer mom, grocery-getting, sitting down to pee 4-door auto.

mrkastni

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKUR, 2018 Tundra Crewmax
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Auto feels like driving a golf cart to me. Bronco would replace my jeep as a fun vehicle, so must also be manual.

Manual transmissions make the human and machine become one system together as the human feels the road, terrain, and rpms.

I'm sure others feel differently..

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto feels like driving a golf cart to me. Bronco would replace my jeep as a fun vehicle, so must also be manual.

Manual transmissions make the human and machine become one system together as the human feels the road, terrain, and rpms.

I'm sure others feel differently..
Other than a couple flappy paddle cars, I've never really enjoyed driving any auto and the concept of it being the main transmission is really off putting to me.

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.
Ive noticed a lot of talking and think since this is an enthusiast form it attracts a disproportionate amount of MT drivers, because they are more passionate drivers.

I’m going with a 2.7L and specifically wanted an automatic for the efficiency. I am betting they couldn’t get decent mpg from a 2.7L 6-speed and adding additional gears for cruising would likely be costly.

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm really surprised that anyone could equate a manual transmission to a desired aesthetic (subjective). ?

Here is an objective comparison:

1) Manuals are lighter(+better mileage).
2) Manuals rob less power from the drivetrain. (+better mileage)
3) Manuals are simple, with fewer parts that can break.
4) Manuals give you complete control of gear choice.

The only possible subjective feature that I like (and I believe it could be objectively proven) is that manuals make me a better driver. When I drive my personal vehicles (all manuals) v. Company vehicles (all autos) I never catch myself daydreaming or losing focus on the road.... in the autos, I do all the time. I think it is because I am not forced to think about the upcoming road in an auto and creates complacency.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
manual is just more fun and engaging to drive. Pretty simple and hard to debate. Rowing your own gears, always choosing what RPMs you want, revmatching, heal toeing, etc etc. FUN

my daily is an 18 Camry Hybrid, auto of course, and it’s a great, comfy, fuel efficient vehicle, but my 11 STi is 1000x more fun to drive, hell even my first manual 86 Toyota pickup manual with zero horsepower was more fun than the Camry lol.

aonorato

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want a manual because it gives ME the greatest control over the vehicle, whether in rain or snow or mud. With a manual you can use the engine as a brake, let it glide in neutral, keep it in your desired gear longer than the computer would keep it in the same gear. It allows you to have a much more connected feel to the road and it puts YOU in control vs the computers.

Driving a manual allows you to become one with the vehicle.

Unless of course you don't know how to drive one.
Exactly!! Plus, I find it to be an added security feature- less people who know how to actually drive a stick = less chance of vehicle getting stolen! ;)

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i want a manual. best theft deterrent device ever made imo