First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST, 2013 Jeep JKU, 1979 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand why so many folks come into the manual forum complaining that we should all be driving automatics. I don't see any manual enthusiasts going into forums claiming everyone should be driving a manual instead of an automatic.
Some people want a manual for some very legitimate reasons. And for many the most important reason is the joy of driving a manual. Technologically the manual was surpassed by the automatic over a decade ago.
What Ford and all the naysayers here should also understand is that most people who want a manual are also people who want it paired with the bigger displacement motor. Thats just a misfire on their part. But at least they are offering something.
Sponsored

Ocarwolf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a lot of people want one just so they can tell people they have a manual and make that face (you know the face) and ask "you know how to drive one? Aw man. You gotta learn. It's awesome."

With that said, people want what they want and let people have their fun!

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand why so many folks come into the manual forum complaining that we should all be driving automatics. I don't see any manual enthusiasts going into forums claiming everyone should be driving a manual instead of an automatic.
Some people want a manual for some very legitimate reasons. And for many the most important reason is the joy of driving a manual. Technologically the manual was surpassed by the automatic over a decade ago.
What Ford and all the naysayers here should also understand is that most people who want a manual are also people who want it paired with the bigger displacement motor. Thats just a misfire on their part. But at least they are offering something.
Very well stated. ??

I have my reasons (some extreme sentimental [that I will no discuss on an open forum] & nostalgia) why I want a MT AND to have it with the largest engine that the vehicle comes with.

And as long as the 2.3L is only Direct Injection, it's not an option for me as well.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Used to build Toyota based crawlers years ago in Denver, stick was about the only option for the builds due to engine power and availability as autos were rare. Paired with a Marlin t-case the stock 22RE + stock manual trans was almost unstoppable with a 35" tire. Plus just more fun and in control of steep descents. Hoping the crawler gear mimicks the Marlin gearing I was used to.

Haven't had a off road rig for quite a few years now living out here on the plains, and guess I want one to re-live some good times! (and hopefully no one will want to drive it since it's a stick!)
I had an old 22re Toyota Pick up manual with almost no power but was such a fun truck. Funny people on here complaining about 270 HP 2.3 Bronco, like it’s not enough power to get up their driveway.

Very well stated. ??

I have my reasons (some extreme sentimental [that I will no discuss on an open forum] & nostalgia) why I want a MT AND to have it with the largest engine that the vehicle comes with.

And as long as the 2.3L is only Direct Injection, it's not an option for me as well.
This has been the greatest disappointment for me. I will most likely end up with the manual 2.3 with some tuning, maybe run Ethanol, catch can, synthetic oil, etc or whatever it takes to limit any carbon build up issues.

But then there’s a part of me saying I already have a manual STi as a “fun car”, just get the 10spd auto 2.7, tune it and have a 450 wheel torque beast.

Sunchaser99

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me it’s old technology that I don’t miss but I can see why some may still want it as it’s cheaper and you can have more control and some say more fun.

Sponsored

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had an old 22re Toyota Pick up manual with almost no power but was such a fun truck. Funny people on here complaining about 270 HP 2.3 Bronco, like it’s not enough power to get up their driveway.
This guy gets it.
My tired 22re has double digit hp and tq barely dipping into the triples, but has had no problem getting me through white out blizzards and sticky situations in the sand dunes. The trans and diff gears is where all the leverage lives for these 4 bangers; and having your own gearshift to control these levers is vital.

¡Viva la quatro amigos!

Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? 0FAC5EDD-986D-479B-A85A-410CE9F65ADA

Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? CED523A3-1A11-4877-AADD-E815DAAF9BD8

Last edited:

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drive a manual transmission Ford Mustang as a daily driver. It is not always fun in heavy traffic, but when I have some space to move the car around on the road, it is better. I suppose paddle shifters are a supposed to be the "happy medium"... but they are just not the same.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read most of the reply and I found most reasons on both sides to be valid. I have driven manual and automatic car and trucks.My actual car is a Jeep Renegade, most owner of Renegade will tell you that the Transmission is not paired correctly to the motor, it does not react in a predictable way and is not intelligent enough to know on witch gear to be on a few occasion it just not downshift at stops sings making you hang on the stop while you want to go... It lags bad. You learn to adapt to it, but I did not want to so I installed a go-pedal to change the throttle body. Without it I think it is just unpredictable and unsafe in some situation. This was not detected when I did the test drive.

So now we are all reserving a car we will not be able to drive before delivery. I take no chance to get a another unhappy transmission motor marriage. I go with manual. Personal reason motivated by personal experience is pretty much how we will all decide I guess. unless you go with 2.7 then the choice is easy :) .

One thing is for sure, we all need a Bronco !

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have already explained that you have MORE control over a vehicle with a manual than with an auto.

It appears you can't handle the truth. Son, we live in a world that mainly has autos, and those autos require little to no thinking. Who's gonna drive a manual? You? Your wife? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the manual option and you curse the those who get them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that manuals are pure fun and require real driving. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves manuals! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to keep manuals alive. You need me to have one. We use words like "gears", "slipping the clutch", "double clutching" and "engine braking". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to someone who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very transmission freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest learn how to drive a manual and actually order one. Either way, I don't give a JEEP what you think you about the only real way to drive!

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove an 86 Toyota Pick up manual without cup holders, drinking my coffee and smoking cigs and passing the coffee and cigarette between my hands and mouth to shift lol. Driving manual can be a PITA but once it becomes 2nd nature and you have the timing down, it’s no more a pain than auto.

I daily drove my 2007 STI when I first got it and would drive 3 times a week in rush hour traffic from Long Island to Manhattan, a 50 mile trip that would take 2-3 hours each way. That’s about as close to the limit than any manual driver can get and I STILL buy manual cars.

Dont get me wrong, its super comfy and relaxing to get behind the wheel of my Camry hyrbid, it’s just not fun.

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you want the manual and more power, get this with a ford warranty: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB
I remember going up a hill on a quad. Couldn't down shift quick enough, stalled out, rolled backwards. RZR with cvt didn't have that problem.
Last week driving on dirt road with Raptor. Hit pockets with deep sand that lasted a hundred feet. Glad I could just floor it and power through. If I had lost momentum by down shifting, who knows.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember going up a hill on a quad. Couldn't down shift quick enough, stalled out, rolled backwards. RZR with cvt didn't have that problem.
Last week driving on dirt road with Raptor. Hit pockets with deep sand that lasted a hundred feet. Glad I could just floor it and power through. If I had lost momentum by down shifting, who knows.
I guess everyone has their own experiences. Historically, I have had the opposite problems as you, with automatics not choosing/holding the correct gear in tricky circumstances, which is one reason why I prefer manual.

Jtycho

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Allroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s all so silly, much akin to the analog vs digital debate in the audiophile world. Who the hell cares if someone prefers listening to a record rather than streaming an album. We like what we like. I like a stick shift, simple as that.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was watching a movie car was clearly an auto the shot was from the exterior and as it sped away manual going through the gears why? more exciting.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of all the vehicular fluids I get on my face and hands and eventually taste for the rest of the day, ATF is the one I hate the most. And behind coolant there is the most of it by volume. I will stick with a manual that has maybe a few quarts in it. Gear oil has a nice earthy musky taste. Also automatics think they are smarter than you. Maybe they are but the heart wants the gear that the heart wants.
Sponsored