92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're not missing anything. Some of us just want what we want. Just that simple.
I prefer a manual so that's what I want. I've never said it was better or more convenient or anything else. It's just what I want.

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For me there's several reasons.

1- Cheaper
2- Haven't owned a stick in years and since this will be my "fun" vehicle and doesn't have to be my daily driver, I'd prefer a stick.
3- In 5 years it'll be my current 11 year olds first car. With a manual he can't text and drive and most of his idiot friends won't be able to drive his car.

Just some of my reasoning.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For spirited driving, I prefer a stick. Everything else, including off-road, I prefer auto.

Even my 94 Wrangler has a 3 speed auto and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sponsored

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rowing through gears in a manual in a performance car/truck is the best driving experience period - IMO. Call it old school but the connectedness (a word?) and feedback I get driving a manual is unrivaled by any auto. I was HUGELY disappointed that the V6 won't be available with the 7-spd.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I got my chair.

Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? 1594758863494

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want a manual because it gives ME the greatest control over the vehicle, whether in rain or snow or mud. With a manual you can use the engine as a brake, let it glide in neutral, keep it in your desired gear longer than the computer would keep it in the same gear. It allows you to have a much more connected feel to the road and it puts YOU in control vs the computers.

Driving a manual allows you to become one with the vehicle.

Unless of course you don't know how to drive one.

Last edited:

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the manual in my 16 Mustang GT and it's fun, but the 10 speed in my husband's Ranger is great too. I used to think I would never want to drive an automatic before that, but Ford's 10 speed is pretty damn nice. So while it would be cool to see a 2.7 Bronco with a stick I'm not too disappointed about it.

Sponsored

JRB45833

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty much the same as the others here - just enjoy driving a manual. On top of that they're cheaper out of the gate and aside from a clutch, throw-out bearing or slave cylinder they don't require much maintenance over the long haul. Rebuild costs on a manual are also substantially cheaper should that day ever come. Getting an electronic automatic transmission rebuilt or replaced is expensive!

Of course, if you're one of those who gets a new vehicle ever 4-6 years the maintenance/repair shouldn't be something you'd have to concern yourself with. I generally tend to hang onto mine 10-15 years, or about the time it takes salt-belt winter's to rust them them thru.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

LOL. I didn't mean to start anything, I was just curious. Maybe I'm getting old(er) and lazier.
So far I haven't seen any BS about one type driver being better than the other, or one transmission being better than the other. All the discussion I've seen here has been very civil and mostly stating peoples wants and desires.

I don't care what you drive, how you drive, or anything else. I don't see any one thing better than the other. That's why there are so many choices.

A manual is just second nature to me. I started driving tractors and a one ton manual on the farm by the time I was 10. I've had 3 speeds, tree and floor, 4speeds, 5speeds, 6 speeds in cars and trucks. I rode motorcycles since the late 80s, all manual. My wife grew up on manuals as well and drives them well. It's just a comfort.

No hype.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Ram 1500 Rebel for work, love the truck, but also have an A4 I'm going to sell that's manual so I can use it towards this beast.

I've driven Stick to NH and back twice, I driven it in all 5 boroughs, and the only reason I don't DD it anymore is I don't need a Sedan and have had new car lust forever, plus I never owned a brand new manual.

Why for me? Because you're in control, it's more engaging, makes you feel a bit like a Manly Badass Hero and because if I wanted an automatic, I'd wait for them to arrive on the lots and just settle

GreenMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Manual transmission vehicles are more engaging to drive and everyone who screams "we want XYZ feature in ABC vehicle" will mention wanting a manual transmission as an option. The thing is though as sales have shown over the years the people who actually go through with purchasing the manual transmission vehicle tend to be in the minority (albeit rather vocal).

47x

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a 2016 Tacoma Off Road MT owner, fly by wire has neutered the feel of the throttle cable in generations past. It's still better than an auto, but not the same as my old 1999 Tacoma MT.

That being said I'm still on the fence on what transmission/motor combo to get on a Bronco.
Sponsored