Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone -

So long story short I’m at over 2 years and still waiting (gonna get scheduled *any* week now…fingers crossed!) and I removed SAS from my build to give me a better chance.

I have a Badlands ordered and don’t really like the stock wheels so I’m going to get new ones (my dealership works with 4wheelparts and will have them ready to go and install as soon as my Bronco comes in).

I’m new to making aftermarket mods and am learning there’s a ton I don’t know.

When I get the new wheels going to have a level kit put on and I’m going to stick with the stock 33” tires…but when they wear out going to go with 35s.

I more or less like the look of the stock SAS tires/wheels as far as poke - but not sure how much further out it can go without looking like a brodozer (learned that one recently and trying not to use it too much).

if I understand right the SAS wheels are +35. I like the black rhino Bandoliers and they’re +45…worried that would maybe look a bit small? Also like the black rhino Warthog and those are 0 so worried they’ll stick out too much and look ridiculous?

Or maybe those offset differences are minor enough that it won’t be a big deal? I don’t mind if the wheels poke a bit I just don’t want it to look ridiculous.

Also - fwiw - I am going to be off-roading in this. I live in Colorado and can’t imagine just keeping it on pavement. So also not sure if a wheel’s offset will make any difference.

I’m sorry if these are really basic questions - I just don’t have a good sense about this…

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheel offsets at measured in millimeters (usually). A 0 offsets means the wheel mounting plate is directly centered between the two rims. In other words… if the wheel is 9.0” wide… that means the mounting plate is located 4.5” from either of the wheel’s rim. A positive offset brings the wheel mounting plate closer to the outside rim, which has the effect of bringing the overall wheel closer to the inside of the vehicle (ie. less poke). Conversely, a negative offset brings the mounting plate closer to the inside rim… or more poke. (Note that I’m using the term “poke” kind of loosely here… most people consider “poke” to be how far the tire sticks out beyond the fender. In this case, I’m not doing that because the Bronco has swappable fenders. I’m just using it to describe which direction the wheel is moving relative to the vehicle.)

Using the offset, the wheel width, and your tire width, you can make a pretty good guess about how far out the tire will stick out from the vehicle. The stock wheels are all +55 offset with varying wheel sizes. The Sasquatch wheels are +30 offset with an 8.5” wheel width, and we can use those measurements as out baseline.

So… with that out of the way… we can figure this out pretty easily. The stock Badlands wheels are 17x8 with a +55 offset. Google tells me the Black Rhino wheels are a 17x8 with a +45 offset. Which means they have 10 millimeters—roughly two-fifths of an inch—more poke than the stock wheels.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point. Keep in mind that tire width also plays a factor into this… it’s not just wheels and wheel offset. There are multiple difference size tires that fit into the “35s” category. My personal opinion is that sticking with a tire less than 12.5” width, and a 17” wheel with 0 offset or more will keep you out of the “brodozer” category, but obviously it’s all personal opinion.

Last edited:

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wheel offsets at measured in millimeters (usually). A 0 offsets means the wheel mounting plate is directly centered between the two rims. In other words… if the wheel is 9.0” wide… that means the mounting plate is located 4.5” from either of the wheel’s rim. A positive offset brings the wheel mounting plate closer to the outside rim, which has the effect of bringing the overall wheel closer to the inside of the vehicle (ie. less poke). Conversely, a negative offset brings the mounting plate closer to the inside rim… or more poke. Note that I’m using the term “poke” kind of loosely here… most people consider “poke” to be how far the tire sticks out beyond the fender. In this case, I’m not doing that because the Bronco has swappable fenders. I’m just using it to describe which direction the wheel is moving relative to the vehicle.

Using the offset, the wheel width, and your tire width, you can make a pretty good guess about how far out the tire will stick out from the vehicle.

The stock wheels are all +55 offset with varying wheel sizes. The Sasquatch wheels are +30 offset with an 8.5” wheel width.

So… with that out of the way… we can figure this out pretty easily. The stock Badlands wheels are 17x8 with a +55 offset. Google tells me the Black Rhino wheels are a 17x8 with a +45 offset. Which means they have 10 millimeters—roughly two-fifths of an inch—more poke than the stock wheels.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point. Keep in mind that tire width also plays a factor into this… it’s not just wheels and wheel offset. There are multiple difference size tires that fit into the “35s” category. My personal opinion is that sticking with a tire less than 12.5” width, and a 17” wheel with 0 offset or more will keep you out of the “brodozer” category, but obviously it’s all personal opinion.
What a GREAT response! Nicely done.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wheel offsets at measured in millimeters (usually). A 0 offsets means the wheel mounting plate is directly centered between the two rims. In other words… if the wheel is 9.0” wide… that means the mounting plate is located 4.5” from either of the wheel’s rim. A positive offset brings the wheel mounting plate closer to the outside rim, which has the effect of bringing the overall wheel closer to the inside of the vehicle (ie. less poke). Conversely, a negative offset brings the mounting plate closer to the inside rim… or more poke. Note that I’m using the term “poke” kind of loosely here… most people consider “poke” to be how far the tire sticks out beyond the fender. In this case, I’m not doing that because the Bronco has swappable fenders. I’m just using it to describe which direction the wheel is moving relative to the vehicle.

Using the offset, the wheel width, and your tire width, you can make a pretty good guess about how far out the tire will stick out from the vehicle.

The stock wheels are all +55 offset with varying wheel sizes. The Sasquatch wheels are +30 offset with an 8.5” wheel width.

Thank you so much! That was incredibly helpful!

And you’ve given me a great starting point. I really appreciate the time you took to write this up.

Reactions: Cat

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wheel offsets at measured in millimeters (usually). A 0 offsets means the wheel mounting plate is directly centered between the two rims. In other words… if the wheel is 9.0” wide… that means the mounting plate is located 4.5” from either of the wheel’s rim. A positive offset brings the wheel mounting plate closer to the outside rim, which has the effect of bringing the overall wheel closer to the inside of the vehicle (ie. less poke). Conversely, a negative offset brings the mounting plate closer to the inside rim… or more poke. (Note that I’m using the term “poke” kind of loosely here… most people consider “poke” to be how far the tire sticks out beyond the fender. In this case, I’m not doing that because the Bronco has swappable fenders. I’m just using it to describe which direction the wheel is moving relative to the vehicle.)

Using the offset, the wheel width, and your tire width, you can make a pretty good guess about how far out the tire will stick out from the vehicle. The stock wheels are all +55 offset with varying wheel sizes. The Sasquatch wheels are +30 offset with an 8.5” wheel width, and we can use those measurements as out baseline.

I have been researching all of this for, um, 3 years that I have been waiting for my truck and now that I removed Sasquatch due to FORD's hostage letter from a few weeks ago I am in a predicament where I have to re-create Sasquatch on my own (hopefully with that $2500 savings). Having said that, my question is, I have just seen this thing called bore. I was having trouble wrapping my head around the other dimensions you so eloquently described. Where does bore fit into this?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been researching all of this for, um, 3 years that I have been waiting for my truck and now that I removed Sasquatch due to FORD's hostage letter from a few weeks ago I am in a predicament where I have to re-create Sasquatch on my own (hopefully with that $2500 savings). Having said that, my question is, I have just seen this thing called bore. I was having trouble wrapping my head around the other dimensions you so eloquently described. Where does bore fit into this?
It is the center bore of the wheel to match the hub mounting flange on the vehicle. It helps get the wheel perfectly centered on the hub. The lug nuts then take over the centering responsibilities as you tighten them.
As I recall, the Bronco and Ranger are 93.1mm.
You can use wheels that are bored larger than your hub by using spacers, but you CANNOT use wheels that are bored smaller than your hub without modifying/machining them out.

Here's a pic of the flange.
Ford Bronco Wheel offset - new at this really need some guidance 1678849190273

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Method 703
17 x 8.5 +35mm
hub bore 106.25mm

Toyo 35 x 11.5 - 17

base Base, no lift
Ford Bronco Wheel offset - new at this really need some guidance 1678849706262

Ford Bronco Wheel offset - new at this really need some guidance 1678849742785

Ford Bronco Wheel offset - new at this really need some guidance 1678849870264

Ford Bronco Wheel offset - new at this really need some guidance 1678849837318

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@HoosierDaddy nailed it in his response, so I won't bother repeating what he said.

Bronco's center bore is 93.1 millimeters. So you need a wheel with a 93.1 center bore (or larger, if you buy a spacer).

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have a significant drop in fuel mileage?
In town , yes, it took a hit, but it has been awhile since I figured the mileage. I don't recall exactly what it was getting.

On the highway, it's about the same, sometimes even improving from stock.

I have a manual, so 4.46 gears. The 34.5" tires are, in my opinion, just a bit too tall for the gearing.
6th gear is useless, it causes the motor to go into boost , which SLAUGHTERS fuel mileage. So instead, I run 78/80mph (gps) in 5th gear at 2700/2800 rpms.

My gut says an 33" class tire would probably be perfect for the 4.46 gear set.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In town , yes, it took a hit, but it has been awhile since I figured the mileage. I don't recall exactly what it was getting.

On the highway, it's about the same, sometimes even improving from stock.

I have a manual, so 4.46 gears. The 34.5" tires are, in my opinion, just a bit too tall for the gearing.
6th gear is useless, it causes the motor to go into boost , which SLAUGHTERS fuel mileage. So instead, I run 78/80mph (gps) in 5th gear at 2700/2800 rpms.

My gut says an 33" class tire would probably be perfect for the 4.46 gear set.
Yeah it’s why I’m selling my 315s I had on my Base with the manual. 6th was basically useless and caused more boost than 5th especially on the highway. I think 33’s will be the sweet spot without changing the gearing.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@HoosierDaddy nailed it in his response, so I won't bother repeating what he said.

Bronco's center bore is 93.1 millimeters. So you need a wheel with a 93.1 center bore (or larger, if you buy a spacer).
Well, good thing I asked. Thank God for smart people. Back to my research...
Sponsored

Reactions: T|K